Unable to Urinate: Male Cat, need advice!

tibsandnorman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know what you might be thinking... take him to the vet!! My cat was unable to pass urine last night when I came home from work. I don't know how long he was in his litter pan, but I know he tried to urinate in the corner near his food bowl too.

I immediately took him to an after hours vet hospital, where they used a catheter to release his urine. They were going to charge me 1,200 dollars to keep him only over night. I would have to take him to my vet the next morning. OR they gave me two other options, where option 1 was 313 dollars. They gave him fluids and told me his urine has lots of protein, very little blood and few crystals present.

This morning, saturday, he was urinating within the blanket I had wrapped around him to go to our actual vet. Fun times... at least he wasn't blocked! the vet wanted to keep him for 5 days. It would have cost 600 dollars. I'm not saying money isn't an issue when it comes to my cat, but it kind of is... I mean, I'm not wealthy and couldn't afford that. The next option was to give me antibotics for the infection, he might have a bladder infection, plus more fluids and a special food for less protein consumption. I took that option.

Today he seemed to visit the litter box only moderately, and urinated each time. I'm really kind of freaked out though... I don't know if I did the right decisions. I don't have the money... I don't know what to do now. What do I look for? He's currently sitting by himself in the hallway, in the dark. I know he's not feeling well... he eat half his dinner, which also included the new food.

I don't know if anyone can shed light, but I'm looking for advice here... I'm really kind of scared. I can't stop thinking about him, which makes me sick to my stomach to think he's in pain because I can't afford his "proper" treatment. Any advice??? What do I do?? Will he get blocked immediately? Could it be crystals? What does protein build up mean? Could he just need this new diet? I'm really upset by this... I'm sorry... I just don't know what to do here.

-Sara

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best advice I can give you is to take him to a vet that actually won't financially RIP you OFF!!! I can't believe the amounts of money they were expecting you to shell out on the spot!!!!!!!!!

There has got to be a CHEAPER, more affordable way, and if not, there are web sites that will help provide you with financial assistance in getting your kitty the medical care he needs...the truth is, is this sounds like an issue that needs immediate attention. And what's worse, your vet would have been robbing you...I know very few people who could afford those services right then and there.

FIND A DIFFERENT VET. IMMEDIATELY!!!

(Could someone post the link that provides $$$ assistance to people who need it for vet costs? I can't remember what it is...)

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually, upon reading your post again...you mentioned that the after-hours vet was $1200. I guess that doesn't surprise me...they always charge ridiculous amounts for anything that occurs overnight. A few years ago, I took my hamster to the vet at 1:00 a.m. (I didn't want to prolong his suffering...he wouldn't have made it to the morning, but was in a lot of agony), and I was charged $100 to have him euthanized. I thought that was a crime!!!

You could give him the antibiotics, and see if that seems to clear up the situation, and then take him back for further examination. Why the vet would need to keep him for 5 days to determine if there's a blockage or crystals is beyond me...I wouldn't think they'd need that much time to figure that out.

I would call around, and ask a few other vets if that's typical...and then seek financial assistance through the web site. Also, do you have an emergency credit card you keep for these situations? If so, I think it would be easier to pay by credit card, so that it can be broken up into more affordable payments...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tibsandnorman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice ... how do I find a good vet in my area who won't rip me off?? This might be a loaded question... any websites?

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tibsandnorman

Thanks for the advice ... how do I find a good vet in my area who won't rip me off?? This might be a loaded question... any websites?
I would crack open the yellow pages in your phone book, and start to call around. At least it's a start.

I'll go see if I can find the web site I was referring to...

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Here's a good organization that may be able to help you...

http://www.imom.org/

Also, there's a link on the Humane Society's site too for financial help in vet emergencies.

Hope it helps, and keep us posted on how your kitty is coming along!!!

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok. Deep breath. I am scared reading your post.

This does sound like more attention is needed. I am glad to hear you got immediate attention, yes, but I am curious--what did the vets say? Did they explain the situation, what tests were run, etc? Why did one vet want to keep him for 5 days? Did they advise you to a better food?

Sounds like A) thankfully there is no blockage and you caught it in time

B) an infection was at work and it might take a few days for kitty to back to normal

Sometimes the abx given (is it Clavamox?) can feel kind of yucky too (and sometimes results in runny poops).

No blood and no crystals present is good. But what was the pH? This factors in what your diet plan will be. And you want to finish the round of abx and push fluids. Make sure to offer plenty of fresh water, add ice cubes if kitty likes that. Put a couple bowls out in different places.

Bladder infections and utis and arent uncommon in cats, especially males, and it helps to know the signs and symptoms. Straining to urinate or crying while trying is a huge red flag. Urinating outside of box is another signal. Watch and know your cat's litter habits as best as you can. Is he running back and forth all of a sudden? Another diagnoses known as FLUTD (Feline Lower Urinary Tract Disease) isn't as common and far more complicated (but signs and symptoms are similar).

In most instances a better diet manages this situation. Stick with premium , high quality animal-based protein cat food. Depending on the diagnoses, some vets recommend Hills which has a prescription diet for maintaining urinary tract and there are other brands that are excellent as well. It really depends on what works best for your cat (and what he is dealing with in particular)

It gets complicated when protein is present because then differnet values have to be measured. The kidneys are directly involved; this is vital to your cat's health. A blockage can be fatal.

I think with any cat, a better diet promotes overal better health, but when our furbabies are having issues, diet becomes far more integral.

I hope I didnt' stress you out or confuse you. I wanted to address lots of things and I understand your panicky feeling
THose vet costs seem very high to me? But hugs to you for taking the right steps for your cat; he is most likely feeling worlds better already.

Talk to your vets and get a better understanding of all this; and definitely give updates!

tibsandnorman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I checked the urinalisis done by the after hours clinic. Ph said 7.5... does that mean good or bad?

The normal vet gave me a bag of hills k/d, I'm guessing for the protein build-up. He hasn't been needing to urinate in awhile... I'm guessing he's uncomfortable from the catheter placed last night? (It's not in still!) I know I'd be sore too! He's just chilling out. I just gave him his second dose of meds an hour ago (the pink stuff, amoxicil maybe?) and when I walked out in the hallway a few minutes ago, he mewed at me like he always does, because apparently he's talking to me... rolled over on his back like he always does and demanded his belly be rubbed. He's acting like himself again a little... I'll give it until monday or MAYBE tuesday to see if the medication works. I'll continue to monitor his urine... I might close him in a room with his own pan, and a few bowls of water on monday when I'm at work to watch his urine... I have another cat, they share pans.

Does this seem like a good direction at the moment?

beandip

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The pH of 7.5 is high. That puts him in the range where struvite crystals can form.

It is critical that he continue to be able to pee. If you see him trying, but failing to get any urine to come out...then that is an emergency, unfortunately.

When a cat is blocked, and gets past the point of frantically trying to go, then they will start to get lethargic and weak, and they will often hide. Keep an eye out for that, as that would be an emergency.

How old is your cat?

The protein number must have been quite significant to send you home with k/d food. Did they do a blood test? Sorry if I missed that. The protein results in the urinalysis can be misleading and easily misinterpreted. There is more info here on all of the other things that affect the protein in the urine

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/courses_vm...is.htm#Protein

The other site for assistance is www.carecredit.com ...on the right there is a drop down menu, select "veterinary" and go from there.

tibsandnorman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure of my cats age... I adopted him from the humane society 2 years ago, nearly to the day. He was a small cat, probably no more than 6 months old. My vet never told me his age... nor did he tell me normans age. I should have asked.

So I'm guessing Mr. Tibbs is almost 3?

Thank you for your advice! This morning, sunday I woke up at 7:30 to check on him. I think I could have slept a few more hours, it's been an interesting few days! He was downstairs somewhere, he heard me coming and he RAN upstairs, mewing contently, talking to me like he does. Rolling around on his back, mewing, stretching his arms up to me. He's so cute. We ran down the stairs, he always beats me.

He seems to be in good shape today. I gave him his medication again... and gave him a scoop of only his new k/d food. He finally ate ALL his food for the first time in 2 days. He seemed hungry.

So now that he's acting normal, I should start to look to make sure he's always urinating. 7.5 is apparently high for Ph, crystals could form? His protein count said "300 +++++" yes, five plus signs.

Now that he's acting happy, this is good... no my vet didn't do any blood work, that wasn't included in the less expensive plan, unfortunately.

Whats next?

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
i'd definitely set up a care credit and get to another vet who will give you the best care your cat deserves without stressing you out or ripping you off. if you can afford the blood work later it's good to see and helps later too....

gailuvscats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not sure I can offer much help, since I am not sure what your guys situation is. I know that Fang had crystals, I could feel the sandy material in his urine, that he lovingly placed on a plastic runner. At that time I took him to the vet, had some antibiotic, and the vet suggested I purchase powdered cranberry to place in his food. I did that for a while, but switched to Carpon, as I did not know the dosage of the cranberry to give, and he stopped eating it anyway. Since then I have figured out what to do with the cranberry, but I am continuing with the carpon because of the success and I don't want to screw around. I tried reducing him to one pill a day,but I think he needs two. He started licking himself more after a few days of one.Here is a link you can do research.
For the cranberry powder, if you purchase the smallest size gelatin capsules from the pharmacy, you will get approcimately 250 mg of cranberry into it. You could start with that once a day, BUT, I do not know if your cat has the same issue mine did. If you could get some pee, and feel it for sandy material, you would know for sure. It sounds like the same issues to me, and it can be very dangerous. Here is a link to Carpon, and Dr. belfied. Just hit the home button. https://www1108.verio-web.com/belfi3/order.html#phonehttps://www1108.verio-web.com/belfi3/order.html#phone

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A blocked male will die in a short time if not treated. Sounds like bladder infection and he needs treatment quickly. Mitten had a one time infection. After getting antibotics to clear it up, the vet suggested to get him to drink some tomato juice with his food - the acid will keep the crystals from forming.

It worked, tho he liked V-8 juice better. I gave it to him for a few weeks and then every so often - he never had another episode.

Talk with your vet about a possible payment plan on bills. I hope its just a one time infection. How old is he? Sometimes if they get cyctitus at a young age (under 5 yrs when started) they can have this issue rest of their lives. Mitten got his first and only one at 8 or 9 yrs old.

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry, I didnt' get to your last question last night; baby daughter woke up--but Beandip had good information. Here is one added link:

http://www.peteducation.com/article....articleid=2729

From what you replied since then, it sounds like Mr Tibbs is doing much better, like I anticipated

But it's still key to watch his litter habits, finish the antibiotics, and maintain a proper diet. Did your vet tell you how long to stay on the k/d diet? Usually you can get off the script diet as long as you keep to a premium diet.

Also, like I said earlier, encourage more water drinking. My cats love their water fountain as well as a couple other bowls placed around. Canned wet food is a great additional hydration.

The bloodwork would be a good idea if you continue to see other signs and symptoms but not mandatory. He is a young guy still and wouldnt' need a full panel but overall this is something you should discuss with the vet.

One of my male cats had a uti with struvite crystals a few years ago. He did the clavamox route and c/d diet. I keep him (and everyone else in the house) on a premium diet and they are all great. But I still always watch him in particular because this can be a chronic situation; some cats are just more prone to repeat episodes.

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tibsandnorman

I might close him in a room with his own pan, and a few bowls of water on monday when I'm at work to watch his urine... I have another cat, they share pans.

Does this seem like a good direction at the moment?
I forgot to address this part!

It's a good plan to isolate Mr Tibbs if he is sharing a pan, just so you can ascertain he is urinating.

BUT

Just try to make sure he doesnt' feel 'punished' in that interim, maybe offer small treats, a special toy, a kitty bed...extra TLC...that sort of thing. Stress has been shown to be a factor in bladder issues so it's just a good idea to keep him as easygoing as possible.

You do want to *WATCH* him though. Any signs of straining or a dry litter box, or pee anywhere else in a room and I would have him seen again. On occasion, you can palpate (gently feel around) his abdominal area (if he allows this). Sometimes a cat who is in early stages of a bladder infection or crystal formation will have distention and be uncomfy there. This can be hard to tell, but just another thing you can try, but obviously doesnt' take place of a vet check up.

Also, it might be a good idea to add another litter box to the household. This isnt' costly and it can have a huge positive impact. Many 2 cat households share pans, but issues can pop up, and ideally, each cat should have their own pan. They are fastidious !

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi - Continue to give him the antibiotics until they are gone and monitor him closely to make sure he is urinating. Also, you may want to put a few additional bowls of water throughout the house. The more water they drink the better. I got that tip of this board and it has worked wonders for my cats. I think partially because there are water bowls in "new" places and they are just so damn curious. Anyhow... it works, so I just leave the extra bowls out. They also drink more when the water is really cold and fresh.

tibsandnorman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! THANK YOU to all who have posted a solution and advice to my little boy, Mr. Tibbs!
After I last posted, he has been getting better. After going to the emergency after hours clinic, where a catheter was used, the next morning he was urinating in his towel. I took him to my actual vet, where they wanted to keep him for 5 days and flush him out. I couldn't afford the bill, so I opted to give him antibiotics and took him home.

After the 2nd day, he was back to his normal self! He's acting normal, frisky, and I even witnessed a large amount of urine in his box!! Woo-hoo Mr. Tibbs!

Yesterday morning, 8 days after he was last seen, he was straining in his litter box again.
I had some wet food, friskies, which may not have been good to give him... but I gave him a tiny bit of that mixed with a bunch of water, and his new k/d kibble. He ate it all. Later that day, he was seen on the box but one time. Could it be possible he needs to eat wet food? Maybe he passed something quickly? Maybe his dry food is starting to work, which is why he actually passed something? Maybe the proteins are getting smaller or fewer??

My question... what over the counter wet food is good for cats with urine problems? My vet has ran out of wet food, I think they are a small company so they are unable to replenish their supplies in a regular manner. Any suggestions on wet food? Science diet? Any ideas?

jpawz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
tibsandnorman~~

If your guy is straining AT ALL still, I would have him checked AGAIN. Unless you can isolate and watch him to know for certain--a vet check up is the only way to go.

Hmmmm...with all the food recalls now you want to be careful, of course. I would not buy your average grocery store labled food, wet OR dry. But as long as the food is not on the recall list, (should be removed but always be aware) any mid level wet food is better than NO wet food, especialy for cat prone to uti's or crystals or both.

Look for a food with LOW magnesium level, not higher than 0.12%. The goal urinary pH is @ 6.3

I really like the Chicken Soup for Cat Lover's Soul food, both canned and dry. But you wont' find that at your local grocery. Again, be careful of most grocery/commerical brands. All wet is not created equally, though while you are researching there is always use the more trusted store available brand. Avoid the fish flavors (can exacerbate uti health). I am referring to WET food here only.

Keep in mind the recall list:

http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/scripts/petfoodrecall/

If you have a pet feed store I would recommend browsing, talking to the folks who work there and get an idea of what to try for higher end wet (non script).

You can still use the Hill's c/d (wet and dry; my cats love it and I know it's good for the uti cat). Your vet should work with you to find other foods with which to rotate.

But look at these wet varieties:

Chicken Soup for Cat Lovers
Natural Balance
Merrick's
Nutro
Innova
Castor & Pollux
Wellness (though ask your vet about the garlic in some varieties)

There are a few specifc uti wet and dry foods but I take it you want easier access to what has been deemed 'safe' and nutritious for your guy.

You can also order these and many more online at places like

http://www.petfooddirect.com/store/

http://www.naturapet.com/

I am running out of steam here....and that gets ugly cus then I ramble incoherently.....so maybe others will chime in with more useful info;

More UTI reading:

http://animalpetdoctor.homestead.com/Urinary.html