Unable to get cat spayed due to medical reasons

cococat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to say I am sorry your cat and your family are facing such hard decisions. Living with an intact cat is very difficult for most people.
If she were my cat I would get a second opinion from an all cat clinic, just because I have seen how different opinions can be from vet to vet before.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jacky before it was found out about Ovaban causing cancer, I lost two cats (probably) due to using Ovaban on them for coat problems. Both were males and Ovaban had great results in curing coat problems (loss of coat/excessive licking)

One was my first cat Mitten who had that problem and he was put on Ovaban for a few months and the coat came back. Unfortunately he died of cancers at age 13 - probably due to the Ovaban use.

My 2nd cat had the same problem and he too was put on Ovaban and regrew his coat and granded in the show ring easily. Unfortunately he also died of cancer at less then 7 yrs old.

This was in the late 70's and early 80's.

mews2much

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is what my vet was saying.
There is to much cancer with ovaban.
Stripe never was on it but UC Davis asked because there were cancer cells in her breast.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mews2much

Amelia we never tried BC I was to scared because when my Stripe got borderline breast cancer the first thing that was asked was if she had ever been on ovaban even though she was altered.
It is know to cause cancer.
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

Jacky before it was found out about Ovaban causing cancer, I lost two cats (probably) due to using Ovaban on them for coat problems. Both were males and Ovaban had great results in curing coat problems (loss of coat/excessive licking)

One was my first cat Mitten who had that problem and he was put on Ovaban for a few months and the coat came back. Unfortunately he died of cancers at age 13 - probably due to the Ovaban use.

My 2nd cat had the same problem and he too was put on Ovaban and regrew his coat and granded in the show ring easily. Unfortunately he also died of cancer at less then 7 yrs old.

This was in the late 70's and early 80's.
Originally Posted by mews2much

That is what my vet was saying.
There is to much cancer with ovaban.
Stripe never was on it but UC Davis asked because there were cancer cells in her breast.
I know, I have read about that. I may have read that it is hard on the kidneys too, not sure though. That is horrible about Your cats Jacky/Golden, I am so sorry.

Is that the only feline BC in the u.s? Surely they can come up with something better than that...

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KatKisses

Is that the only feline BC in the u.s? Surely they can come up with something better than that...
Read post #12