Ultrasound results = Cancer

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh no, it's definitely not your fault!!
No one knows what causes lymphoma, really, and I don't think diet has anything to do with it. I felt the same way when Candy was diagnosed. I know how you're feeling.

And I agree with Laurie: pred, anti-nausea med, pepcid, and the appetite stimulant. With terminally ill kitties, it's all about comfort. So feed Princess whatever she'll eat (Fancy Feast kitten, Friskies, anything!) because it's more important that she eats something than what she eats exactly.

Here is a resource that helped me when Candy was ill: http://felinelymphoma.org/cms/. And here is a link to a yahoo support group: http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/feline_lymphoma/.

I hope Princess will be okay hon.
PM me anytime if you need someone to talk to, cause I've been through this and know how it feels.

Jen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

3questions

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Princess sleeps all day getting up only to use her litter and eat, I hate having to wake her up to give her medicine she looks so peaceful sleeping. I now give her anti-nausea, steroid pills and lactulose. She hides when she notices me preparing her meds, I wrap her in a towel then syringe her while she gives me this "I thought we were friends look?". She's eating a 5.5oz can a day but only if I give her the appetite stimulant. I don't know about putting her to sleep yet, I've thought about but I don't want her dying with those strangers. I want her to die at home, but if the tumor gets crazy I will take her to be put to sleep. The memory of her I think of the most is when she ran away while she was in heat, then came back pregnant. I didn't think I'd see her again, then had her kittens on my bed. Good times.

Last edited:

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry to hear about Princess's diagnosis, but what a wonderful long happy life she has had with you. 20 years is a testament to the love and care you have given her all her life.

Ask your vet if she will make a house call to euthanize, it if comes to that. It sounds like she is doing okay now but don't make the mistake of keeping her going longer than she wants, simply because you want her to die in her sleep on your pillow. It rarely happens that way.

Euthanasia is not a terrible thing. It is often the biggest most courageous act of love we can give our precious soulmates, that dignified and peaceful exit, a freedom from suffering. If you do have to bring her in, when the time comes, she won't be with strangers, she will be with you.

I'm not saying Princess is suffering now. If she's eating, and loving with you, she isn't ready. Stay cheerful and upbeat around her, don't mourn her before she is gone, as cats do pick up our feelings.

However, do talk to her about "the end". Tell her what you would like to have happen, but assure her that if she has had enough, all she has to do is tell you, and you will take care of her and not let her suffer.

Talk to her about this. Not in a sad way. Hold your tears back and talk to her in a matter of fact manner about this.

:vibes::vibes::vibes: :heart3:

Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do also think about what you would like to happen to Princess after she is pts.  I had to say goodbye to Rufus last year and having a plan helped - it was one less thing to think about when I was very upset.

My choice was to take him to a private pet crematorium and collect the ashes in a card tube.  They are now in a Wymss ware marmalade pot, very appropriate as he was a ginger cat. 

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Awwwwwww. I hope that you have a lot more time left with your darling Princess. Your situation reminds me of Candy and I...I miss my baby kitty and I still cry for her every day (3 months later).

You will know when it is time, I did. It's best if you stay with her when she is being pts though. I wasn't there for my Candy because I didn't want to upset her (I said goodbye and spent 2 hours crying with her before) with all my sobbing. I feel guilty about it still, and I wish I was there.

I know my Candy is my guardian angel kitty now, though. She's up there playing with my Ruby, Bobby and Socks right now.

for you and Princess, hon. Praying for you both.

Jen.

tjcarst

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If you do decide it is time to let her go, I am hoping that is not the case, please ask your vet about in home euthenasia.  Many do offer this and it might make it easier for both of you.

So sorry you are both having to go through this.  {{{Hugs}}}

Last edited:

bluerexbear

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Results are in = Large Cell Lymphoma, that's what Princess has. Her vet suggested chemotherapy which I can't afford, she said prednisone could stop or slow the tumor from growing. I can't help but think it's my fault, I fed her crap almost her entire life.
This is exactly what my Sissy died from in July of 2010.  My doctor at the time did not recommend chemo.  We did the prednislone and she lived about a month and a half after the diagnosis.  You will be in my thoughts and prayers as you go through this.  Sissy was 13 - 20 is such a long life!  You are blessed to have had your baby that long.  :)

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is exactly what my Sissy died from in July of 2010.  My doctor at the time did not recommend chemo.  We did the prednislone and she lived about a month and a half after the diagnosis.  You will be in my thoughts and prayers as you go through this.  Sissy was 13 - 20 is such a long life!  You are blessed to have had your baby that long.  :)
My Candy was thirteen, as well. Unlucky number it seems. :rbheart:

3questions

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do also think about what you would like to happen to Princess after she is pts.  I had to say goodbye to Rufus last year and having a plan helped - it was one less thing to think about when I was very upset.

My choice was to take him to a private pet crematorium and collect the ashes in a card tube.  They are now in a Wymss ware marmalade pot, very appropriate as he was a ginger cat. 
That's what I plan to do when she's gone, I just haven't decided on what color/type of urn.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what I plan to do when she's gone, I just haven't decided on what color/type of urn.
Glad you are thinking about it.  It's not a nince to think about bu8t hope it brings you comfort eventually, as it did me.  BTW I didn't want anything that looked remotely like an urn or casket for Rufus - I wanted something that I would have in the house anyway as an ornament.

kittylover23

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ask your vet if you can get Princess' pawprint made into a clay impression - I did this with Candy and it only cost me abou $40. It's such a beautiful memorial to her, as well. :rbheart:

3questions

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ask your vet if you can get Princess' pawprint made into a clay impression - I did this with Candy and it only cost me abou $40. It's such a beautiful memorial to her, as well.
That sounds great I'll ask her vet. Thanks

Last edited: