UK = Gambling?

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by arie85

I do apologize, definitely wasn't my intention
A very good lesson for you to learn never to generalize people. I have lived there, too and never was gambling an issue with anyone I came into contact with. Fish and Chips were, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

arie85

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Pami

A very good lesson for you to learn never to generalize people. I have lived there, too and never was gambling an issue with anyone I came into contact with. Fish and Chips were, though.
I agree.

danp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
and americans wonder whey everyone hates them...

theimp98

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DanP

so i guess asking a question is much worse, then going around with a wrong impression?

hmm so generalize much?

anyway arie85, i have never noticted that much difference between there and here. After all take a look at all the office pools, etc, for sports in this country. many people like to gamble.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by arie85

btw Rosie do you like Football (US: Soccer)?
No, can't stand it, never will either. I'd sooner scoup litter boxes

Originally Posted by lunasmom

Gambling is far from my mind when I think of the UK. I think more Monarchy, beer, Celtic, Kilts, castles, etc.
Originally Posted by Pami

I have lived there, too and never was gambling an issue with anyone I came into contact with. Fish and Chips were, though.
There you go, theres some more education on the UK for you

Originally Posted by DanP

Don't worry, we have our fair share here as well

duchess15

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by rescuecatsrule

Not all the Nazis were German!

Hitler, for example, was actually Austrian!
I know that, but a lot of people dont. It's something I hear people say a lot and it really makes me mad.

Originally Posted by Rosiemac

That's what Sabrina said, she gave it as a figure of speech
Y, it was a figure of speech, but unfortunately as I said above, I still hear it being said. It's funny how I can hear that, but they love the food and culture all the same.

silentnate

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
WE recently had the Grand National horse race in the UK which is the only time may people here gamble aside from our lottery

Gambling is more something I would associate with America and thats considering that I used to work in a bookies in the UK. I admit the obsession with football is big here however- almost as big as the obsession with gridiron or baseball in the US

tab

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
it is interesting to hear what other countries do think about us, even if it is way off mark! my dh is australian and he had some stereotypes that he's since discovered aren't true since moving here.

but i guess we can all be a little guilty of ignorance at times. maybe we should do a little research before jumping to conclusions.

oh and rosiemac, i am so with you on the watch football? or clean a litter box? kitty poop would win every time!

anyway, nice chatting with you all but i need to pop down to the bookies now.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Gosh when I think of the UK I think of gardening and history!! Gambling wouldn't even be on my radar screen.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Trouts mom

I have never heard about gambling in the UK

Its like people thinking we live in igloos up here
We've been know to get quite a chuckle out of the folks with skis on their cars visiting us in July/August.

Britain - I think of the Monarchy, their wonderful sense of humour (Monty Python's a favourite as was Benny Hill and Black Adder), Fish & Chips, Eton, Thames, Tower of London, etc. Gambling would not have entered my mind.

With the internet and the access to world information in this day and age, it still surprises me that there is still much ignorance about other parts of our world from where we live.

We should make it a daily task to find out one thing about another country every day - not heresay but fact.

epona

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Fish & Chips I often fancy going to the chippy and mmmmm the smell of the vinegar on hot chips but it's almost always a disappointment, I'm just not that keen on batter

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Epona

Fish & Chips I often fancy going to the chippy and mmmmm the smell of the vinegar on hot chips but it's almost always a disappointment, I'm just not that keen on batter
Hey, the batter is the best part for me, provided it's a good one. We do fish and chips every Friday at home and I've been experimenting with trying to come up with a decent batter that's light and crispy. I'm close but no cigar yet. If any of you brits have a decent recipe for batter I'd be forever in your debt.

rosiemac

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm with you on the batter Linda. Do you have pickled onions over there to go with your fish and chips?
Originally Posted by Yosemite

If any of you brits have a decent recipe for batter I'd be forever in your debt.
My Directors friends have their own fish and chip shop, so i'll ask Vicky to get in touch with Ann to see what recipe she uses in theirs