Uh Oh, Re-friending Feral Possible?

Merlincat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok, so...I have three indoor cats. One is a former outdoor stray(that someone must have left behind in a move we think). All three are under 2 yrs old. I also have 2 "barn cats". I took them in from the shelter in the city. Their "barn cat" program is for cats deemed to feral to make good pets. So they ask people who have barns available if they'll take them and let them live there. That way they have at least a shelter and some food. Like a last chance as opposed to euthanasia.
The 2 barn cats I took in were two black kittens about 3 months old at the time. This was in July. Over this time I have fed them everyday, talked to them everyday. And as they've grown up they have slowly gotten used to me. One is more scared than the other. He doesn't want to be touched but he will come close to me. The other had gotten to the point where he LOVED being pet! They're inseperable.
They were both coming inside my house to eat, hang out, play etc. So I decided to try bringing them in. That meant I had to take them to the vet. Did that (they didn't like it though) brought them home and released them in the house. They hid all day. That night the friendly one emptied his bladder on my daughter's new bed. We cleaned it and attempted to catch him. At first let me pet him but when I tried to grab him he freaked out and ran. I tried to hold on to him but he got away. So I herded him to the basement to confine him overnight. They now have reign of the house again but he won't let me near him. Is there anything i can do? Is the situation hopeless? And on top of it, they have to go back to the vet in one month for a vaccine booster. What can I do? Does this story have a bad ending?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Merlincat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's been today is the 4th day after vet visit.

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This is just my read on things but if they are both eating and using the litter box I would give it some time. Out of our 7 rescues we have one that most of our friends have never seen. He is spooky and has been that way since he was rescued two years ago. He will tolerate petting from members of the immediate family to a point. I think the trust can be rebuilt with the one but the other little guy, maybe he will come around. Patience is the key and long suffering!

Regarding the vet trip, others may feel differently but I wouldn't be in any great hurry to vet them again with the trauma associated. If they are inside cats and checked out ok give them more time. It was interesting that the shelter made the barn cat determination at just three months old. Around here our barn cat programs are used for older trapped ferals that can't be socialized. Cats like that can usually hunt to provide food and the farmers sign an agreement to supplement food. For kittens that kind of program would be tough.

Anyway it's a great thing you're doing for these babies. I wouldn't give up yet. There are some great threads on this site to help you tame/socialize them and people with lots of experience to provide advice.

Keep the faith!

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as you keep them inside, I would make socialization the priority. When and if they get friendly, you might be able to buy the vaccines and have a vet tech come by your place and administer them. Please keep us updated!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think everything will be fine. They are just scared. What I did when taming my two ferals, is I used a long handled duster to pet them at first. I know other people use a backscratcher. Then I got them on a feeding schedule that they could count on using the same words every time- "Demi dinner", "Maggie dinner". I taught them both several words, and that really helped to communicate with them. Do they have a kitty tree or kitty shelves so they can get up high to boost their confidence? About the vet, try leaving their carrier out all the time so they can go in it on their own and sleep in it. My cats go in their carrier all the time and they don't associate it with going to the vet since they only go like once a year.

kommunity kats

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
STOP trying to go near the skittish cat! Let him approach you, if & when & as fast or slow as he wants! Keep your eyes averted from him, as they feel threatened when eyes are on them. They are not just hunters, but prey animals too. When something is looking at them & they are feeling anxious, they feel they're being viewed as prey & about to be attacked. Read up on how to tame feral / semi-feral cats & kittens -AND- how to introduce cats to a new home. THEN incorporate the info from both to start over with your 'scaredy-cat':
http://messybeast.com/feralkit.htm
"Taming Feral Kittens & Cats"
www.messybeast.com/feralkit.htm

"Introducing a New Cat to Your Home"
- Go Slow! Be Patient!
www.sheknows.com/pets-and-animals/articles/808335/introducing-a-new-cat-to-your-home