Uh oh! Kojak discovered the betta!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Bonnie1965

It is SO nice to hear other people caring about these fish! I just kills me to see some of the conditions they are kept in.

A woman at work gave me a betta for my birthday just over a year ago (thought that was odd - live animal for an co-worker?) Anyway, my other co-workers all thought I should keep him there in the little bowl she gave me so he could be the office pet.

Bah! Took him home, bought a 5 gallon tank and he is happy. He was over a year old when she gave him to me, so he is a senior citizen now.
I do have have a small filter because I am so busy, but it is low flow and he still builds his bubble nests.

Thank you again!
I'm glad to hear that betta has a nice new home with you in a big tank!!!!! I bet he loves it
The low flow filter should be ok if it's on the lowest setting.

Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

Until I saw this thread I had never heard of "betta" fish.

Sounds to me like they are like pirranah fish...or similar anyway.

I found this link that explains how to care for one. Found it most interesting. I haven't had a fish for many years. Last fish I had as a pet was when I was 4 or 5 years old....I had a gold fish, but obviously my mom looked after him, hehe

http://www.wikihow.com/Keep-a-Betta-Fish-Alive

I don't have the patience or committment to clean a fish tank once or twice a week. Looking after 2 cats and myself is more than enough
However, before I went off work on disability I would occasionally clean the fish tank on one of the hospital wards. I felt sorry for the poor fishies when their water looked murky.
Actually just to clarify, Bettas are Anabantoids
they are not in the same class as pirrinah- entirely differernt. Also, pirrinah have teeth and bettas do not. This link explaines what seperates anabantoids from other species of fish! It's really neat
http://www.petresources.net/fish/anaban/anaban.html
That being said- pirranah are actually pretty cool- they're not as aggressive as movies/etc make them out to be- they can actually be a bit shy. They should be kept as species only though. Bettas on the other hand can be kept with small fish and crustacions/shrimp that do not have long flowy fins so long as there is adequate room in the tank. Ghost shrimp do well in betta tanks.
That is soo nice of you that you helped look after your hospitals fish tank. I bet the fishies loved you when their tank looked all nice and pretty
And you know- i applaud you for acknowledging that bettas do require regular cleaning etc. Many people adopt them thinking they'll be a cute "cheap" pet- they are anything but!- at least if they're cared for properly. By the time you set up the tank with a cover (one of adequite size for the fish), the thermometor, the gravel, soft plants that won't tear their fins, accessories, food, lighting (with a covered lid! bettas jump!) stress coat, and betta fix- you can easily spend $50-80 depending on what you get. It saddens me to see how those fish are kept in pet stores. Technically- we could live in a closet if we want to compare our living space to theirs- but we'd be miserable in a closet- the more room we have the more we thrive- same way with fish
/ What type of fish tank did you work with at the hospital? Salt water or fresh??? I'm trying to learn all i can on salt water aquariums- i hope to have one whenever i get married! Theyre sooooo pretty! I've had freshwater all my life so i thought that would be a nice change

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by StarryEyedTiGeR

What type of fish tank did you work with at the hospital? Salt water or fresh???
I don't know how big it was, it was a fair size. A patient had given them a fish of some kind as a thank you gift! Of all the things to give a hospital ward, a fish! LOL Anyway, the fish lived in a fish bowl for a few months while they raised some funds to buy it an actual aquarium. They've since added another fish, the kind that sucks along the sides of the tank..not a snail...an actual fish.

It was a fresh water one. They had a filter and had the tank quite nicely decorated with a little house of some kind and some plants and pebbles.

They had a calandar up to indicate times for feeding, and cleaning the tank and would cross off as each thing was done so that others would know not to feed it again.

I only cleaned it a few times but it was a pain to do.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Natalie_ca

I don't know how big it was, it was a fair size. A patient had given them a fish of some kind as a thank you gift! Of all the things to give a hospital ward, a fish! LOL Anyway, the fish lived in a fish bowl for a few months while they raised some funds to buy it an actual aquarium. They've since added another fish, the kind that sucks along the sides of the tank..not a snail...an actual fish.

It was a fresh water one. They had a filter and had the tank quite nicely decorated with a little house of some kind and some plants and pebbles.

They had a calandar up to indicate times for feeding, and cleaning the tank and would cross off as each thing was done so that others would know not to feed it again.

I only cleaned it a few times but it was a pain to do.
Sounds like it was a nice little tank
Was the sucker fish you're talking about an algae eater? Like a Pleco? I have a HUGE pleco in our 80 gallon tank back at mine and my mom's duplex. He's old as dirt and his name is Scare
He's actually the only fish left in that tank as he's outlived them all. After he passes away....we want to convert it to a saltwater tank so that's why we haven't added anything else. He is soooooooooo big! MY little Isabella is just mesmerized by him- she will stare at his tank for hours just watching him swim
We also had some little sponge bob jellyfish things we put in his tank just for fun- he will grab onto them and float around the tank with those in his mouth cleaning them

Originally Posted by ClaireBear

I have a 45 gallon fish tank in my living room, Bean loves it. It's like kitty tv to him.
What kind of fish do you have in your tank? I'm wanting to get a saltwater after Colin and I get married. I bet Bean loves yours!!!