Uh oh! Just found a small kitten in the yard!

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know one lady was spaying and neutering, but she just moved. I've never talked with the other people.
I don't know where you live...but I would try to engage a TNR group. Feeding alone will only increase the colony and increase the chances for some of the unsavory individuals to do harm to the cats or call Animal Control to trap and remove them. Below is a list of TNR groups in the USA, even if one isn't in your county, see if you can contact one in your state and find out if they know anyone who does TNR in your area. TNR is the most humane method of reducing the outdoor cat population through spaying/neutering. The cats are returned back outdoors but they can no longer add to the overpopulation through producing unwanted litters of kittens. It's healthier for the cats overall tends to reduce negative behaviors such as fighting and spraying.

http://www.alleycat.org/orgs.html

Katie

catsarebetter

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by TNR1

That's precisely why I do rescue. I have 2 cats of my own. I know my limit. But because I volunteer with a rescue group, I can help to find homes for kittens and cats that need them. We pull from shelters in Virginia that do not have as high of an adoption rate. We recently placed a cat we had in our rescue for 2 years. I absolutely love it and I have no concern about wanting to "take them all". The way I look at it...I can help to match the right kittens/cats to the right people. That is always rewarding.

Katie
Well, actually, I'd like to do some work with cat rescue around here, but the only rescue group I know of does dog rescue/adoptions at the PetSmart. I'm not really a dog person, other than "oh, how cute" pat pat..I vastly prefer cats. But, if I brought a baby into my house, and spent considerable time with it, I know it would end up living here because I'd fall in love with it. And unfortunately, any adult coming into this house won't be accepted by the rest of the crew (more specifically, my domestic)... we tried with a little rescue girl, and an adult male Bengal that was pottying inappropriately (turned out to be marking behavior) but we worked with both of them for months and they were just never accepted into the house.

I wanted to ask you, though, and I know it's off-topic, but does your agency do TNR for the Baltimore/Glen Burnie area? I have a friend who's got ferals running about his house (he fed a stray...and now there's several).. ..

Mooch, I'm glad someone will be keeping an eye out for that baby. I feel much better about it. About the screen.. my domestic is quite capable of tearing (and has) a perfectly intact screen to get outside.. maybe one of the ferals was trying to get in?

sammymykitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh, wow.

maybe bring around the kitten, ask your neighbors about him?
But honestly in this case, I would take him with me if no one owned him.

tnr1

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wanted to ask you, though, and I know it's off-topic, but does your agency do TNR for the Baltimore/Glen Burnie area? I have a friend who's got ferals running about his house (he fed a stray...and now there's several).. ..
No...Alley Cat Allies is focusing their efforts on Fairfax County in Virginia. Did you look on the list I provided to see what resources may be available in that area?

Katie