Ugh. I have a race in 26 days...

resqchick

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
and my brakes have just been put on. I have a grade 2 sprained ankle, which may be a stress fracture.

On Tuesday, I was taking a run, a 3.2 mile easy jog, and when I got home, my ankle felt kinda achy, I didn;t think much of it, and went on with my day. It got a little worse, but nothing so bad as to even cause a limp. When I woke up yesterday, it felt perfect, so what do I do (being not so very sharp and all)? I go for another run. I figured just a 2 mile would be good, not fast, just a slow jog and walk.

BAD IDEA. I got about a mile away, and I had the most excruciating pain through my left ankle and foot, under the ankle every time my foot hit the ground.
I didn't roll it, or strike wrong, or even twist it. Just poof-you have pain. ugh.
I limped another mile home and iced it. It got worse, but no swelling just pain when I try to walk. My daughter just says "Go to the doctor, now, before it's so bad you can't drive from the pain" Ok. She had a point. I'm normally pretty tough, and avoid doctors and hospitals but this just HURT.
Well, the doctor didn't even blink-"Go to the ER and get an xray". Ok, so I do that. I have one nurse joking about exercise being bad for me...lol. Very funny.

After 12 xrays, they said they really couldn't see a break, but if I don't see significant improvement by Sunday, I need to see an Orthopedic doctor, since it could be a stress fracture or Hairline fracture. Of course.

So, I am on crutches, which I cannot use without falling, so I'm limping around on my left toe, my foot/ankle/calf is in an immobilizer, which is really comfy, until bed time....If I have to sit down with my foot elevated any more, I'm going to lose my mind. I keep thinking I'm doing that race if I have to army crawl the whole way.

On a cute note my youngest cooked me dinner last night-a hot dog in the microwave, with mustard and a bun. He also kissed the boo boo many times.

Can I have "It's only a sprain" vibes? Please?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

resqchick

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I can't believe the outpouring of support.

Thanks Momto3boys!

trouts mom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Vibes that it's only a sprain! I am dealing with an injury right now too, it's terrible how much it limits my physical activity

callista

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Totally. I'm not a runner, but I love walking, and I hate it when I hurt my ankles. (I used to sprain my ankles all the time, too. Apparently I'm hypermobile so the loose joints will give at a moment's notice. But now they're stronger and I haven't had a sprain in four years.)

What I learned from all of that: The fastest way to recover is, don't do anything that hurts. Seriously, simple as that. I know you exercise-loving types; you'll go and run on it because you just get so antsy that you can't take it anymore, right? Yeah... don't do that. (Swimming is much better and only pushing off from the wall really puts much pressure on a sore ankle.)

Rest, get better, and don't get too impatient!

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did anyone in the ER mention tendinitis? I had that once in both ankles, and ice and rest and elevation and wearing those ankle braces that you can buy at the drug store when I needed to walk, finally helped..... but it took awhile.

So...... am sending vibes for healing!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

resqchick

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well, it's a little better, I can walk, carefully, without pain, so I'm going to just rest it and hope I'm 100% by the end of the week.

Thanks to all who sent vibes! I'm sure it helped!!