ugh :( Help - Another Problem has Risen and I'm ready to get rid of my cat

laureen227

Darksome Duo!
Top Cat
Purraise
while i don't think it was 'intentional', per se, i do think that the increased stress level may have been a factor.
they'll eventually work things out between them, i would think. your post reminds me of how Pixel [10 years old] reacted to Firefox [6 weeks old] thru about the 1st 6 months.
they now snuggle & groom each other!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

didi86

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by laureen227

while i don't think it was 'intentional', per se, i do think that the increased stress level may have been a factor.
they'll eventually work things out between them, i would think. your post reminds me of how Pixel [10 years old] reacted to Firefox [6 weeks old] thru about the 1st 6 months.
they now snuggle & groom each other!
6 months?? oh god ;_;
then again I guess I wouldn't be suprised if it took longer,, coco is a real diva

she's the type that if she was grooming herself, and you decided to pet her, she'll flick her tail, walk away about 2 feet and lick clean the part you 'pet' her at

I just thought that after the first 2 weeks since they ate together, occasionally took naps next to each other, they would be fine, so the whole growling/swatting/hissing thing I hope was just caused by the extra stress/visitors...So I guess just monitered meetings only til Coco doesn't growl anymore...

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by DiDi86

yesterday was a suprisingly calm day
i came home for lunch, and it was very quiet, little alex was passed out and when I went to my room, I called out for coco and she came out of her little "closet cave" I fed her some wet food, she purred/let me pet her (she was kind of skittish though..)
and went potty in the litter box, drank some water, and scurried back into her cave.
in the evening we played w/ Alex a bit til he passed out and i opened up my bedroom door and Coco eventually wandered out
Alex saw her when he woke up and sniffed her, who in turn wacked him (punched him) several times in teh head, and he thought playtime was "on" im sure, and decided to pounce her on, and she growled/hiss, and ran away into the cave again
I still left the door open and noticed when Alex was playing by herself, coco sat in my dark room sneering out the door and just watching Alex X_X;;

Mom and brother is officially gone back home now, so it will just be me and coco , Alex, and occasionally the roommate (who actually takes Alex into his room at night, and letting him out later on for litterbox until he goes to work which is usually an hour or so earlier than me) --
she's been continually eating just fine, staying in the closet most of the day still, but now is using the litter box like normal again

I think she just doesn't like the little guy at all, period

her stool still looks a little wet --

she just seems really skittish (she's not normally a skittish cat) thats the only part thats weird, if i walk towards her too fast she runs into the closet
its sooo weird, its like she KNOWS she did something BAD and is now scared im going to reprimand her

So I no longer believe its a UTI? I feel like maybe she was just REALLY ticked off at me? But I read alot about how its believed cats don't hold the intelligence to think that way (as far as "revenge" ) ? How come I doubt that belief.. hmph...?
I think that your cat has gone through an incredible amount of stress between the medications, the family visit and your own stress. Stress can affect them in a number of ways. They also don't like change and there has been a lot of changes in their little world lately, also adding to their stress.

Right now I think you still need to get her checked for a UTI, if you havn't already done so, to make certain she doesn't have one, or else the peeing issues will continue. Yes it will cost you another vet visit, but your cats health and welfare are worth it and as has been mentioned, perhaps a payment plan can be negotiated with your vet.

Secondly, when you are stressed, your cats will be affected by it. They can see our "auras" and can sense our intentions. So if you're running around thinking along the lines of "I can't take this, I'm going to have to get rid of them", they can sense that and this causes them stress and fear. Hence, this is why your cat is/was hiding in the closet and is now all skittish and fearful. They are uncertain of their future here with you.

What they both need right now is love and reassurance and patience. So get her checked for the UTI to clear that up and start over. Also avoid yelling at them. This only makes them afraid of you. Until you can get here to the vet, if she does start to pee again out of the litter box, don't yell at her. She will only be confused. In her mind she's doing something normal, peeing. Just pick her up quickly and gently put her in the litter box and when she goes praise her. If she's not able to stop herself from peeing as you bring her to the litter box, it could be a UTI.

Nature's Miracle works *really* well to get rid of the urine smell. Just pour generously onto the area, so it soaks through to the under-padding of the carpet, this will get rid of the odor completely.

Remember now is the time to shower them both with a lot of love and reassurance. They need to know they are loved and wanted. (Not that you don't love them
but your babies need that extra boost right now).

Don't worry everything will be just fine

kat89447

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I feel your pain
I have been going through similar problems but with 6 cats. In the last month my hubbys work schedule has severly changed from a day shift to going in at 4 am. I have had to take in his mom's jack russel mix till she recovers from surgery and my cats are all severley stressed. I can tell you that it is temporary and will go away.
I do suggest you revisit the vet, and check with him because of the recent visits a recheck might be free or at a reduced rate.
What I have found to work around here lately is some one on one time with each cat. Cats love structure and when something messes with that they can behave badly. I keep reminding myself that this is their house and that they have been invaded by the dog and deserve to have that acknowledged. I set up an additional litter in my bathroom so they don't have to cross the house into "dog" territory to go potty and that helps. I put them in the office with me at night for some downtime with mommy, (they usually come in here and this is part of their normal structure), and make sure that they get brushed or cuddled. I put them in my bedroom during the day when I am gone so they can play, eat, and potty in peace. I only allow them out with the dog when I am home and make sure they have an escape path at all times.
I can't wait till the dog goes back to his mommy, but until them I just try to keep myself less stressed so I don't pass mine on to the cats. I think if you watch you will find that your cat is getting better stress wise and it just takes time. Don't be surprised if your cat is sleepy and hiding for awhile till it is sure things really are back to normal. Just keep reminding yourself that it is temporary and also work with both of them to reintroduce them. Good luck and know you have probably been through the worst of it.