Ugh! 1 week later and old cat still chasing new!

azcarol

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My new cat, Miles has been in our home for a week now. Shelly STILL chases him, hisses and swats at him. Miles has tried several times to be friends, but 9 times out of 10, Shelly will have none of it.
I've gone out of my way to spend time with Shelly so she doesn't feel neglected. I thought things would improve as far as the chasing goes, but so far, it's been the same. They have touched noses a few times though.

I'm still wondering if I should separate them again. I'll be getting a Feliway diffuser today to see if it helps. I know it's going to take time, and they may never be best friends. I just want Shelly to stop chasing and swiping at the little guy!

yayi

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There's really no set time for new cats to accept each other. It may vary from a few days to several weeks, so be patient.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I wouldn't expect them to get along yet. IMO, a month is what it usually takes for introduction. Ophelia still swipes at Dorian & they've lived together for a little over 1 1/2 years, that's just her purr-sonality.

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One week is nothing, and isn't really long enough for them to have been separated.