U.S. 2010 Census

gloriajh

FERAl born “Pepper”
Top Cat
Purraise
How much of the form are we required to fill out? I heard that we only are legally required to supply the number living in our household. ?

libby74

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our form just came today; didn't even open it until I read your question. I skimmed thru it and it seems to me that you answer everything that applies to your household.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GloriaJH

How much of the form are we required to fill out? I heard that we only are legally required to supply the number living in our household. ?
Why wouldn't you fill in more? Why do only what is "legally" required? IMO think Sensus are important in a number of ways...
But to answer your question, In checking their website, it appears to me everything and to all the live in your household...

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My geography instructor mentioned a few weeks ago that there are only a few items required by law that need to answered but I forgot what those were. Number of people in the household was one of them though. I'll ask him again at class tomorrow night and see what he says. I don't mind doing the census.

Did you know that one of the earliest recorded censuses was done by the Persian Empire in 500 BC? There is a record of a census taken by the Han Dynasty in ancient China, and Rome regularly held a census not only for administrativer purposes but also to see how many men were available for military service.

3catsn1dog

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just filled mine out and already have it sealed and ready to go in the envelope. It wasnt invasive the most personal question was my name and birthday and BFs name and birthday. It didnt ask for a social or anything like that

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Some people are really confused about the Census. It's important to know that it is required by the U.S. Constitution, and if there were ever freedom lovers, the guys that wrote that document are certainly among them. They thought it was important.

The first census was conducted by Thomas Jefferson, another freedom lover. Here are the questions on that census:

Questions Asked on the 1790 Census

*Name of the head of each household.
*How many free white males age 16 and older.
*How many free white males under age 16.
*How many free white females.
*How many of all other free persons.
*How many slaves.

If you don't answer ANY of the questions, you'll get a visitor trying to get you to send in the questionnaire. Failing that, they'll try to get you to answer them verbally. And if all else fails, they will observe your house and fill it out for you, to the best of their ability.

Dottie has an aunt who does this all over Arkansas.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just think, in 70 years your answers may help a genealogist with their research.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I did mine! Should I wait until after April 1st to send it off since it wants to know who's in your house that night? I don't expect anyone else to be here...

whisky'sdad

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
People are so paranoid nowadays! It asks you less than what is on a job application! People don't seem to complain about those....

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Whisky'sDad

People are so paranoid nowadays! It asks you less than what is on a job application! People don't seem to complain about those....
Actually people do

We are hiring at the moment and many people crossed out areas of the application form or said they would prefer not to answer a question. Ours is an academic internship so their university grades matter and 7 didnt want to include those
- Those files found themselves going right into the garbage pile

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

I did mine! Should I wait until after April 1st to send it off since it wants to know who's in your house that night? I don't expect anyone else to be here...
Smarty-pants!

I wrote in "human" where it asked for my race.

catkiki

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I filled out ours this morning and will mail today. They only want name, age, DOB and race. I know some people get ones that are way too invasive.

clpeters23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by gemlady

Just think, in 70 years your answers may help a genealogist with their research.
It's fascinating how the census questions have changed over the years. I am my family's historian and have gotten so much info from old enumeration forms. I can't wait until the 1940 census is available!

fifi1puss

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister does our families geneology and is actually miffed they don't ask for Mom maiden name.
I guess its a hot button topic on her geneology sites. If the census is done correctly it helps people trying to piece together their family history. it is amazing how much it can help.

But also there are other benefits as well. I was concerned at first, I think so many of us find it hard to trust the government but its not like doing census's is a new idea. Its been done for decades and it does have a legitimate purpose. If you don't want your tax money wasted on them chasing you down for the info than just fill it out and get it done and over with.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know why I've never had to fill that out nor do I remember getting anything in the mail
That is really weird..

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
We got our census form in the mail today. The question I don't like is if there is a mortgage on your house or do you own it free and clear. I don't think that is anybody's business. How did anyone else answer this question?

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I can imagine any number of good reasons for them to ask about the mortgage.

And just for information's sake, they can find out that information if they really want it, without even prying. Why would you care whether they know you have a mortgage?

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I got mine the other day and filled it out in 5 minutes.....maybe less. So easy, and there was less on there than I've had to fill out for my taxes, or any other government form.

People are so paranoid lately about anything the government does....it's simply a form to find out how many people live in a certain district. That number determines the number of representatives each state has in the US Congress. Also it helps determine how much money your neighborhood receives for services - children, elderly, local stuff, like roads, road improvements....it's for statistical reasons. Nothing evil or sinister about it.

And, your information is absolutely private - protected by laws.