TYPES OF MEAT BESIDE CHICKEN AND RABBIT

feline03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have been transitioning to raw since the beginning of November. I use mostly chicken thighs and have used rabbit once.

I wondered if any other kind of raw meat can be used as well.  I was making meatloaf last night and one of my cats liked the raw hamburg.  The other did not.

Does anyone else use anything else beside chicken, turkey and rabbit?  If so, are the same supplements used in those meats.

Thanks.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's absolutely fine to use other meats if you cat likes them. Just think of the range of meats used in wet food.

Recipies will differ from meat to meat, as they all have different nutritional profiles. The [thread="272287"]​[/thread] has balanced recipies for a variety of meats :)

ftmba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As long as the meat is fresh, I don't think there's any raw meat that's off limits.

Poultry/Rabbit are seen as the most biologically appropriate bc a cat could naturally hunt them, but presumably a cat wouldn't necessarily pass on lamb or venison or whatever another animal killed in the wild.

What would change, as Columbine mentioned, is what you'd have to add/mix to make it nutritionally complete. As you've noticed, there tends to be more recipes for chicken/turkey/rabbit than the other meats.

Last edited:

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed duck, lamb, beef, venison. Hare Today has a great list of meats that you can use. Of course you need to ground the meat yourself or buy from a reputable sources (aka not the grocery store) if its already pre-ground. Do not feed your cats raw pre-ground hamburger meat. Beef is great if they like it but you need to grind yourself or buy from some place like Hare Today. They all need to be supplemented but it will depend on whether you feed boneless or not. 

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with missmiz about not feeding meats that are already ground.  My vet, who isn't entirely thrilled with raw diets, cautioned me about that.

My cats absolutely adore quail and rabbit.  There's a local ethnic supermarket in Orlando, Florida, that carries both for incredibly cheap. 

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
And Cornish Hens, too!  I put them in my grinder and my cats devour them.  Their favorite, though, is definitely rabbit.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pretty much any raw meat can be fed to a cat. Take a look at what is offered at Hare-Today.com for instance: quail, pheasant, mice, vension, beef, guinea pig, goat, etc.

As said, don't use supermarket meat that is already ground. You have no idea how clean the supermarket grinders are. Bacteria may be mixed throughout the meat. Cooking kills the bacteria. It's best to buy a whole cut of meat, like chicken breast, and either grind or chop it yourself. But be aware that some supermarket meats have been enhanced with flavoring and broth and other things. Buy only plain raw meat. Read the label to be sure. You may have to go to an organic type market or butcher shop to buy plain raw meat.

An alternative to supermarket meat is to buy from a raw pet food supplier such as Hare-Today.com or buy chubs of raw meat from an independent pet store.

All raw meat needs to be supplemnted, whether boneless organless meat or with bone and organ. How to supplement depends on what kind of raw you are doing. If you're following a recipie, the same supplements may be used for any type of meat but the quantities may be different. If you're doing frankenprey, you still follow the 80% / 10% / 10% rule. If you're using a pre-mix, then you just follow the instructions on the pre-mix pacakge and make sure to use the appropriate pre-mix (some are for bonless meat only, others are for with bone and organ).

ftmba

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Pretty much any raw meat can be fed to a cat. Take a look at what is offered at Hare-Today.com for instance: quail, pheasant, mice, vension, beef, guinea pig, goat, etc.

As said, don't use supermarket meat that is already ground. You have no idea how clean the supermarket grinders are. Bacteria may be mixed throughout the meat. Cooking kills the bacteria. It's best to buy a whole cut of meat, like chicken breast, and either grind or chop it yourself. But be aware that some supermarket meats have been enhanced with flavoring and broth and other things. Buy only plain raw meat. Read the label to be sure. You may have to go to an organic type market or butcher shop to buy plain raw meat.

An alternative to supermarket meat is to buy from a raw pet food supplier such as Hare-Today.com or buy chubs of raw meat from an independent pet store.

All raw meat needs to be supplemnted, whether boneless organless meat or with bone and organ. How to supplement depends on what kind of raw you are doing. If you're following a recipie, the same supplements may be used for any type of meat but the quantities may be different. If you're doing frankenprey, you still follow the 80% / 10% / 10% rule. If you're using a pre-mix, then you just follow the instructions on the pre-mix pacakge and make sure to use the appropriate pre-mix (some are for bonless meat only, others are for with bone and organ).
frankenprey?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Frankenprey is feeding meat, bone and organs
The ratio is 80% muscle meat, 10% bone, 5% liver, and 5% other organs. Some people also call is prey model.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Frankenprey is a nickname for Prey Model Raw feeding. The basics of how it works are explained here[article="32339"][/article]

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feline03

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LTS3, thank you for the reply.  I have 3 cats and have bought a grinder.  I started in the beginning of November and have used only chicken and rabbit so far.  I use the recipe from Dr. Pierson or Feline's Nutrition (Natasha Willie).  I can't afford to by the ground for three cats and I use my own supplements, not the premix.

I have printed all the recipes and will take a closer look at them.  However, I AM MORE CONFUSED THAN EVER NOW.  It looks like these recipes are very different from what I am using now (see above)  Where do they come from?  What is Chelated Manganese and MCHA!  The recipes are below.  Please help me feel more comfortable that I am doing the right thing.
 Dr. PiersonFeline NutritionIHC email
Meat3 lb4.5 lb3 lb
Liver4 oz7 oz7 oz
Heart014 oz14 oz
Water1 c8 oz2 c
Egg Yolks244
Salmon Oil5-10,0004000 mg0
B complex50 mg200 mg200 mg
Vit E400mg200 IU800 mg
Taurine200020004000
Lite Salt1 tsp1 tsp1 ½ tsp

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The pdf printable recipes were formulated by @mschauer and have been designed to meet AAFCCO guidelines. MCHA is a form of calcium. Manganese is a trace mineral - only tiny amounts are used. Both can be bought in capsule form (designed for humans). You open up the capsule and measure out the amount needed for the recipe.

Don't panic - the catinfo.org recipe is balanced too, just not quite so finely. Many members here use that recipe without any problems.

nora1

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I agree with missmiz about not feeding meats that are already ground.  My vet, who isn't entirely thrilled with raw diets, cautioned me about that.

My cats absolutely adore quail and rabbit.  There's a local ethnic supermarket in Orlando, Florida, that carries both for incredibly cheap. 
Agree about the supermarket ground meats...be careful!

My cat also loves: quail, rabbit, and bison chunks :p