Type of Comb or Brush for a longhair?

fisheater

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I love brushing my kitty. He loves it too. And his fur feels so silky soft afterwards. Currently I use a brush like this, using the metal side mostly cause he likes that one better.

But I'm wondering if I should be using a comb instead of a brush. If so what kind of comb or how fine should it be? There's like a bazillion different kinds at the petstore and I would have no idea which one. He's a Maine Coon. We don't really have any trouble with matted fur or anything, just want to keep him looking great.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is the comb I use - I LOVE it, cheap and great...

Now, the best grooming tool yet, IMO is the furminator... If used once a week, it can virtually eliminate shedding and reduce hairball problems considerably - it is AMAZING!!!!

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
^IMO, if all you have is a long hair you might not get as much use from a furminator. It doesn't do very well on mine. It's all the DSHs in the house that is really excels in removing undercoats from.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

^IMO, if all you have is a long hair you might not get as much use from a furminator. It doesn't do very well on mine. It's all the DSHs in the house that is really excels in removing undercoats from.
Sorry, but I have to disagree there completely... I have 3 longhairs, and I get a LOT out from my furminator.... a LOT... I can pretty much make another cat from what I get from my long hairs
... Unless you have a Longhair who has no undercoat, like a Turkish Angora, you will get a lot of use out of a furminator... It all depends on the cat's undercoat, not if the cat is long or short hair, IMO...

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Carolina

Sorry, but I have to disagree there completely... I have 3 longhairs, and I get a LOT out from my furminator.... a LOT... I can pretty much make another cat from what I get from my long hairs
... Unless you have a Longhair who has no undercoat, like a Turkish Angora, you will get a lot of use out of a furminator...
Sherman has a cotton ball type coat - not really sure how to describe it. All fluff, basically. I can get more fur off one of my DSH kittens than I can Sherman with the furminator - maybe it's not getting deep enough into his fluffy fur? But he doesn't shed as terribly as the DSHs, either.

shanynne

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hi! My comb of choice is the plastic type that you would use on your own hair. It should have one side with fine teeth and the other with wider teeth. I just never liked those metal type combs or brushes, but that is just me. I get mine at K-Mart. But you can also get them at Sally's Beauty Supply.

I have two boys, Rascal 100% Main Coon and yes he has that bunny rabbit all-over soft fur, and Samson part Main Coon and part Angora. He has the small delicate face, bones and the long long long tail that is the Angora trademark, but his fur is much more "woolly" and thick and requires more brushing than Rascal's.

I do use the furminator on both of them mostly in the summer. But I am very careful how I use it. I'm always afraid of going too deep, don't want to scrape that delicate skin. Also I don't go over and over the same spot, again, not to irritate the skin.

I always keep scissors handy as well for knots etc.

Hope this is helpful!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For long hair cats its better to use a fine and medium toothed comb for most of the grooming. If you want to use that brush (the pin side only) after using the comb and getting out all tangles/knots, then that is fine.

But I would not use the brush for your major grooming.

lovemahkitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i have various cat brushes and combs (no furminator yet, i need to look into that!), and the one that is the most effective at removing fur at all 'depths', AND is pleasurable to my cats, is this:

haha... a 50 cent rat tail comb that i bought years ago at sally beauty supply. works perfectly on my three, a silky long hair with thick undercoat, and silky short hair with virtually no undercoat, and a short 'fuzzy' rough coat. they all dig it

pami

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have long and short haired kitties and The Furminator is by far the best comb out there, that we have tried.