Two year old cat may be playing to rough with 13 week old kittens

rayasunshine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

Milo (two years old) has been with me inside since he was 6 weeks old. I suspect he was either dumped or born feral but wandered too far from mom. He was crying outside my window for two nights so on the 3rd night I set up a trap. He is a good cat considering his unknown beginnings. He and my 10 year old (8 at the time) Pomeranian (Rocky) were best friends for about 8 months. They played well together, but once Milo grew bigger than Rocky the playing stopped.

Eight weeks ago I rescued six kittens. Three of them went to new homes and I'm keeping the other three (all females). The introductions to Milo were slow and short. He never showed any aggression towards them and would mostly just watch with interest when the three of them played with each other.

Milo has begun to play with them. He gets a little overwhelmed at times when all three of them are coming at him at once, but really seems to enjoy playing with them one on one.

Sometimes it seems to me that Milo has his claws extended when he swats at them in a playful way. They don't cry out and usually stick around for more play but sometimes theybseem taken back or surprised. Would the kitten cry out or fight back if Milo does scratch them too hard?

Another thing I'm concerned about is Milo will sometimes pounce and tackle them trapping them underneth his own body. They don't attack and Milo doesn't hold that position for long. It definitely seems playful to me, but is it a domince thing? What should I do if the kitten does attack him because they decide they don't like it anymore?

My concern is Milo didn't have enough time with his littermates to learn boundaries with his play and the kittens have. I don't want the kittens to get confused or feel threatened. I also don't want any resentfull cats that don't live in harmony with one another.

Any advice for us?

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
First, keep everybody's claws clipped and blunt and that will help avoid accidental injuries.  Kitten claws are needle sharp and need the tips clipped off them frequently.  Milo will need his front claws clipped at least once a week.  There are plenty of claw clipping demos on YouTube so go check them out if you need instruction. 

As for the pounding, that's normal, they do it to each other all the time.  It sounds as if Milo is behaving really well, and if he were not, these kittens would most likely scream loudly in protest.  He probably learned some cat play rules in his first six weeks of life.  He's bigger now, but it seems as though he is still trying to be gentle.  It sounds to me like it will work out very well.  If he has more energy than they do, get him a DaBird toy and play with him with that a couple of times a day  to get rid of his excess energy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rayasunshine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for responding. I learned about clipping cat nails the first time Milo as a kitten tried to climb my bare leg like a tree.

Yes, you're right. Milo is being gentle when he pounces on them. I think I was panicking because he's so much bigger.

I'm going to check out DaBird. Dedicating play time just for him is a great idea.

Thank you [emoji]9786[/emoji]️