Two weeks old - advice please

CatsMumRL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
These babies were born 2 weeks ago today.
It’s been a long time since I’ve had kittens in the house and they were 2-3 weeks (born to feral mums who I TNR’d) The youngest two were syringe fed for a couple of weeks, then moved onto solids.

Am I right in thinking it’s around 4 weeks for these babies to move onto weaning and using the litter tray (again, with youngest two I had to clean them with cotton wool and warm water to stimulate them to “go”)

Funny story (well not funny ha-ha!) My dog was supposed to be spayed yesterday but the vet wasn’t able to - seems the kittens have sent her into a phantom pregnancy!! She’s been downstairs, away from them (on the landing) but I’ve now moved them and mum into my bedroom to try and distance them even more from my dog. She’s very motherly and maternal so I’m not surprised she’s reacting to smelling and hearing them.

Little Jack (black) isn’t gaining as well as the other two; they’ve all nearly tripled their birth weights but Jack isn’t gaining as quickly and he seems much more slender-framed. Noticed today he seems to get shoved out of the nursing heap despite her having plenty of nipples to go around..! Do you think I’d be ok to feed him some BabyCat Milk (royal canin) as a supplement for a while?

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If they have momma, its no big hurry to wean them... You can wait at least one week more.

Re Jack, you could perhaps rotate him? Ie set him to momma when biggies are sleeping? So he doesnt need to fight with them...
It it works and he adds better, fine.
If not, you can supplement him. Especielly as you have already some experience with handfeeding kittens.
Royal canin kmr is OK.... Otherwise goats milk is useful.

In some variation you CAN use doggie as foster momma.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, you can and should supplement the kitten. Royal Canin is excellent. Kittens with a mom tend to wean a little later than orphans, so you can offer soft pate-style wet food mixed into a soupy mush with kitten formula at 5 weeks, but they may not be ready until 6-7 weeks. They’ll continue to nurse mom even as they learn to eat. The Mom and Baby Cat kitten dry food is good for them too when the time comes!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatsMumRL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, you can and should supplement the kitten. Royal Canin is excellent. Kittens with a mom tend to wean a little later than orphans, so you can offer soft pate-style wet food mixed into a soupy mush with kitten formula at 5 weeks, but they may not be ready until 6-7 weeks. They’ll continue to nurse mom even as they learn to eat. The Mom and Baby Cat kitten dry food is good for them too when the time comes!
Thank you :-)