Two rabies shots two weeks apart

Emma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everybody, my six months old cat needs to get her rabies shot, the vet told me that she should get two rabies shots, so she got the first one and the second one is in two weeks.
However, after returning home and searching online, i couldn't find any information about two doses of rabies vaccine, the only thing mentioned is the booster shot which should be administered within a year of the first shot.
I'll be very grateful if you could provide me with more information about this. I'm worried that it might be dangerous for her to receive another rabies shot so close to the first one, and i also don't understand why she should get two when almost all other vets only administer one.

Thank you

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you sure you are not confusing it with another vaccine? Rabies vaccine is given a single dose for kittens at 8 weeks or older, my dvm would not do it until later as I recall, and then at 1 year a booster is given. For an adult one dose is given and then a 1 year booster. After the one year booster, for both kittens and adults, it is every year for the one year vaccine and every 3 years for the 3 year vaccine. Here is a link with the schedule for the other vaccines as well.

Pet Vaccines: Schedules for Cats and Dogs

Vaccination Schedule for Cats: Core and Non-core Vaccines
Cat Vaccine​
Initial Kitten Vaccination (at or under 16 weeks)​
Initial Adult Cat Vaccination (over 16 weeks)​
Booster Recommendation​
Comments​
Rabies​
Single dose as early as 8 weeks of age, depending on the product. Revaccinate 1 year later​
single dose with yearly booster​
ADVERTISEMENT
Required annually or every 3 years, depending on vaccine used. State regulations may determine the frequency and type of booster required.​
Core cat vaccine. Rabies is 100% fatal to cats, with no treatment available. Prevention is key.​
Feline Distemper (Panleukopenia)​
As early as 6 weeks, then every 3-4 weeks until 16 weeks of age​
2 doses, 3-4 weeks apart​
1 dose is given a year after the last dose of the initial series, then every 3 years.​
Core cat vaccine.Feline distemper is a severe contagious disease that most commonly strikes kittens and can cause death.​
Feline Herpesvirus​
1 dose is given a year after the last dose of the initial series, then every 3 years.​
Core cat vaccine. Feline herpesvirus causes feline viral rhinotracheitis (FVR), a very contagious upper respiratory condition.​
Calicivirus​
Core cat vaccine. A very contagious upper respiratory condition that can cause joint pain, oral ulcerations, fever, and anorexia.​
Feline Leukemia Virus (FeLV)​
As early as 8 weeks, then 3-4 weeks later​
Every kitten should get a booster at one year. If the cat doesn't go outside, no further vaccination is needed unless they are at higher risk. then annually.​
Non-core cat vaccine.
Should test FeLV negative first. Transmitted via cat-to-cat contact. Can cause cancer, immunosuppressant​
Bordetella​
As early as 4 weeks​
2 doses,1 year apart​
Annually​
Non-core cat vaccine.
A contagious upper respiratory condition.​

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Emma2

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you sure you are not confusing it with another vaccine? Rabies vaccine is given a single dose for kittens at 8 weeks or older, my dvm would not do it until later as I recall, and then at 1 year a booster is given. For an adult one dose is given and then a 1 year booster. After the one year booster, for both kittens and adults, it is every year for the one year vaccine and every 3 years for the 3 year vaccine. Here is a link with the schedule for the other vaccines as well.

Pet Vaccines: Schedules for Cats and Dogs

Vaccination Schedule for Cats: Core and Non-core Vaccines
Cat Vaccine​
Initial Kitten Vaccination (at or under 16 weeks)​
Initial Adult Cat Vaccination (over 16 weeks)​
Booster Recommendation​
Comments​
Rabies​
Single dose as early as 8 weeks of age, depending on the product. Revaccinate 1 year later​
single dose with yearly booster​
ADVERTISEMENT
Required annually or every 3 years, depending on vaccine used. State regulations may determine the frequency and type of booster required.​
Core cat vaccine. Rabies is 100% fatal to cats, with no treatment available. Prevention is key.​
Feline Distemper (Panleukopenia)​
Core cat vaccine.Feline distemper is a severe contagious disease that most commonly strikes kittens and can cause death.​
Feline Herpesvirus​
Core cat vaccine. Feline herpesvirus causes feline viral rhinotracheitis (FVR), a very contagious upper respiratory condition.​
Calicivirus​
Core cat vaccine. A very contagious upper respiratory condition that can cause joint pain, oral ulcerations, fever, and anorexia.​
Feline Leukemia Virus (FeLV)​
As early as 8 weeks, then 3-4 weeks later​
Every kitten should get a booster at one year. If the cat doesn't go outside, no further vaccination is needed unless they are at higher risk. then annually.​
Non-core cat vaccine.
Should test FeLV negative first. Transmitted via cat-to-cat contact. Can cause cancer, immunosuppressant​
Bordetella​
As early as 4 weeks​
2 doses,1 year apart​
Annually​
Non-core cat vaccine.
A contagious upper respiratory condition.​
Thanks for the answer. Yes it is rabies, she already received her other shots 3 months ago.
Because i'm planning to travel and take her with me, he told me that some countries like China require two doses of rabies vaccine (which is true, but they require the cat to have received two rabies shots in his lifetime). Because i wasn't aware of the vaccination schedule, i thought it was normal to give two rabies doses, but when i checked online it wasn't mentioned anywhere and my travel destination doesn't require two rabies vaccines.
Should i still let him give her the second dose, or could it be dangerous for her?