Two Questions: one about bathtime and one about Revolution

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I figured i would put both questions on one post to save space.

1. Would it be bad to shower my shorthair cat once a month? I do it now every couple of months. I do it cause we have 2 dogs, and she likes lying on their beds and then lying on the humans beds. lol but really the main reason i shower her, is because i am allergic to her. Everytime i give her kisses, i start sneezing, my nose gets itchy, i get stuffy and breathing is a little harder when shes around. I feel better around her once i shower her. So, would it be bad for her to make it once a month, rather than once every 2 months?

2. Do you guys ever feel guilty applying flea/tick medication? I feel awful putting the stinky medicine on her that is doing who knows what to her system. I get her Revolution from her vet. I hate using it, but i hate the thought of her getting worms, ticks and fleas. We have 2 dogs that are on frontline plus, but even so they bring in ticks every now and them. Plus, my cat loves attacking all the bugs in the house. Sometimes i wonder if im really doing good for her putting this medicine on her.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bathing is fine, she may not enjoy it in the shower though. I use the laundry tub (since it's up higher) and a shower hose attachment.

Use a gently cat shampoo.

But you can also use distilled water on a rag and wipe her down every day or so, that's supposed to help with allergies.

Can't answer about the flea treatments, have never used them.

alicemama

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Don't feel bad about the Revolution. I use it year round bc we live in a very heavily forested area with lots of raccoons, squirrels etc. Those animals carry lots of creepy crawlies, and I feel better knowing my cats and dogs aren't going to be infested by them. Everyone is healty and happy this way

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she is an indoor cat and the dogs are being treated (because they go outside) she might not need the revolution. I have always had indoor cats and never had one flea or tick on them. Just a thought.

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
To the people that do not use revolution (or any sort of flea prevention)- what do you do about heartworms?  I can understand fleas and other parasites not being a huge concern, but are your animals on another sort of heartworm preventative, or do you (I cringe at the thought around here) do nothing?  From what I gather heartworms are not present in all areas, but given the number of mosquitos that make it into the house in my area I don't see how anyone could not justify the use of some sort of preventative.  I understand that the worms affect cats differently than dogs, but still...

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe it is a regional thing. My cats are up to date on their vet care and are in excellent health. I do what my vet recommends for my cats and in 11 years she has never mentioned heartworm medication for my indoor only cats. I don't  believe in giving them potentially harmful medication on a regular basis for something that has a rare chance of happening. I feel that I am doing what's best for their health with my vet's approval.

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to add to my last post. I want to be responsible with my information because I know a lot of people use this site for info on good cat care. I just called my vet to be sure and she said in this area chances are very low for indoor only cats to get heartworm. In other areas it might be very important to prevent heartworm. I don't want to be misleading.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just wanted to add to my last post. I want to be responsible with my information because I know a lot of people use this site for info on good cat care. I just called my vet to be sure and she said in this area chances are very low for indoor only cats to get heartworm. In other areas it might be very important to prevent heartworm. I don't want to be misleading.
yes, my vet mentioned heartworm to me, and i heard it is common in my area. the humane society where i adopted her had her on revolution. i have looked around and in all the shelters around me the pets adopted out are on flea/tick/heartworm prevention. i live in florida.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bathing is fine, she may not enjoy it in the shower though. I use the laundry tub (since it's up higher) and a shower hose attachment.

Use a gently cat shampoo.

But you can also use distilled water on a rag and wipe her down every day or so, that's supposed to help with allergies.

Can't answer about the flea treatments, have never used them.
yeah, today i did it in the kitchen sink. i prefilled it with warm water, and placed her in it. she seemed more comfortable. and my back was happy too! its easier to clean her without bending down.

i did turn on the faucet to rinse her. and for the first time ever my cat actually put her face near the water and let it get on her face. i remember her first bath and how she would cry and cry and cry to get out of the tub. lol

duckdodgers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Fair enough- each area has a different risk factor!  Here it is a big problem.  I haven't personally known any cats with the disease, but I have known many dogs.  Several of them have died from the disease or even the treatment, so it's really important to be on preventative around here!  It's next to impossible to completely keep mosquitoes out of a house, so even indoor only animals are at risk. 

GoldyCat

Staff Member
Purraise
1. Would it be bad to shower my shorthair cat once a month? I do it now every couple of months. I do it cause we have 2 dogs, and she likes lying on their beds and then lying on the humans beds. lol but really the main reason i shower her, is because i am allergic to her. Everytime i give her kisses, i start sneezing, my nose gets itchy, i get stuffy and breathing is a little harder when shes around. I feel better around her once i shower her. So, would it be bad for her to make it once a month, rather than once every 2 months?
Most likely what you are allergic to is the dander which is in cat saliva. Bathing her frequently can actually be counterproductive. What's the first thing she's going to do after her bath? Lick herself all over to get dry, thus providing herself with a brand new coating of dander. A number of people on TCS have gotten good results with wiping kitty down daily using distilled water on a damp cloth.

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Most likely what you are allergic to is the dander which is in cat saliva. Bathing her frequently can actually be counterproductive. What's the first thing she's going to do after her bath? Lick herself all over to get dry, thus providing herself with a brand new coating of dander. A number of people on TCS have gotten good results with wiping kitty down daily using distilled water on a damp cloth.
i see. i hadnt heard of that. But whenever my cat even gets a drop on her she will bathe herself. if i wipe her, wont she just lick off the water?

she showers even when i pet her.

Last edited:

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If she has that much dandruff & dander it sounds like she has a dry skin.  Now like people some cats have a naturally dry skin, but it can be diet-related as well.

speakhandsforme

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Cats usually lick themselves after we pet them. :) Either they think we stink and they're trying to get the smell off :lol3: or they're trying to savor our taste. Either way.

The thing about the distilled water is that most cats won't try to lick it off afterward because it has no smell. That's why it has to be distilled. We're not saying you should shower her in it, just wet a rag with it, squeeze it out, and then pet her with the rag once over. It should get the outer layer of dander off of her without making her feel the need to groom herself. She shouldn't be noticeably wet after you do this.

It really helps with my boyfriend's allergies. :nod:

terestrife

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats usually lick themselves after we pet them.
Either they think we stink and they're trying to get the smell off
or they're trying to savor our taste. Either way.
The thing about the distilled water is that most cats won't try to lick it off afterward because it has no smell. That's why it has to be distilled. We're not saying you should shower her in it, just wet a rag with it, squeeze it out, and then pet her with the rag once over. It should get the outer layer of dander off of her without making her feel the need to groom herself. She shouldn't be noticeably wet after you do this.
It really helps with my boyfriend's allergies.
Oh, great, thanks!!! I will definitely try that! I wont stop kissing my kitty even if i feel bad. but it gets frustrating waking up with a stuffy nose, and finding it hard to breath around her, and getting itchy. lol sometimes i kiss her and my eyes start itching and watering. Somehow i think its worth it just to give my baby kisses!

If she has that much dandruff & dander it sounds like she has a dry skin.  Now like people some cats have a naturally dry skin, but it can be diet-related as well.
i dont think she has dandruff, and  i dont think she has dry skin either. plus she eats almost entirely wet food except for a few snacks here and there so i dont think its diet related. i think its me, not her, its just my annoying allergies. but thanks for the help!

Last edited:

venuskitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Terestrife- I am in Florida too, and indoors or not, every vet I've ever seen for the numerous cats and dogs I had growing up was all about heartworm prevention. I started Venus on it right after I got her and while she doesn't like the application, she "suffers" for about half an hour and then goes back to her cuddly self.