Two previously friendly cats now fighting

pathdoc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 cats, a brother and sister pair, who are just over 2 years old and both are fixed. They are strictly indoor. They have lived together their whole lives and have always gotten along very well. I recently moved to a new place and all of a sudden they're fighting. One will see the other and immediately start hissing and the other will start hissing back. They will then sit about 5 feet from each other and continue this behavior for 15 to 20 minutes. They have even gotten into a couple of loud fights. It's as if they have never seen each other before. I have rarely heard and seem them exhibit behavior like this but only towards other cats through the windows, never towards each other. This all started within one day of being at the new place. They have moved with me a couple of times in the past and adapted well. I think the previous owner of my current place had a cat but she hasn't lived there for over 6 months.

What's going on and what can I do to fix it? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kerry

cjbowser

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How long have you been in the new house?

How long have they been acting strange?

Something very similar happened to me once, and it was because the previous owners had indoor/outdoor cats. Even though the cats were no longer there, their fleas were, and the fleas infested my cats -- none of whom had ever seen fleas before. One of their responses, beyond yowling pitifully and scratching, was to get jumpy and defensive.

I'd start by taking a trip to the vet. It can't hurt, and could point you to a very simple cure.

satai

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A trip to the vet is probably in order - it will at the very least put your mind at ease.

You can also try having a search through the old introduction threads for ideas - the vanilla trick is a good one.

Welcome to TCS!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pathdoc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the warm welcome.

The cats and I have been in the new place for only a couple of days. They were fine for the first 2-3 hours but then all of a sudden they acted like they didn't know each other...very strange. Both are still eating/drinking/pooping well and are very affectionate towards me but for some reason they just don't like each other right now.

Their last vet trip was last August for their annual shots. So it's about time for another trip.

thanks,
kerry

tunaqueen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has your new place been painted since the last tenant left? Carpets cleaned? Reason I ask is that if the last cat that lived there left her scent it may be confusing your kitties. They can smell her but can't see her, so they lash out at each other. If your new home hasn't been painted etc since the last tenant moved out, try washing the baseboards and places around doorframes where cats frequently rub up to with a mild solution of bleach & dish liquid. Sometimes something as simple as this can help.