Two pregnant mommas - I have questions

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My foster gave birth to three white kittens and two dark colored tabby's so I have been doing a lot of research on it (especially the deaf link). It's bringing me a little too close to 9th grade biology for my comfort but it is very interesting. If I learn any other tidbits I will pass them along! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

justine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maya, my other foster cat delivered six kittens and I got home from work just in time to see her cleaning them up. Thankfully she had no problems with cleaning them and cutting their cords because I wasn't home!

She had five whites and one gray. She is taking good care of them and even let me kittensit so she could eat. That sock filled with rice sure works well for keeping them warm. And maya likes to lay her head on the sock.

Anyways, my questions are should I be worried about the runt? He weighs in at 78 grams which is the smallest by a lot. He is very energetic, but the bigger kittens push him out of the way. I helped him keep a nipple for a while from the other bigger kittens.

Also, it appears all eight of Maya's nipples are functional. I thought the top two were just for show, but she is producing milk out of them.

I am having a hard time keeping the five white kittens straight. I have two of them down because they have faint tan markings, but the other three look much alike.

Here are their weights in no order:

1 106g This is the gray one

2  96g

3  78h 

4  100g

5  94g

6  112g

I now have 13 felines in my home. I am like the cat lady or something! I am so glad I have a rescue organization that will help with vet bills and spays and neuters. I just get to do the fun part. Snuggle kittens and cats!

Have a good night!

Justine

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
78 isn't too small and not a runt, of course weigh them all And move the others aside while sleeping so he gets extra feeds

You may need to mark the whites, I use baby hair bands

Shouldn't need to be kept warm, that's what mum and littermates are for

Last edited:

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
78 isn't too small and not a runt, of course weigh them all And move the others aside while sleeping so he gets extra feeds
You may need to mark the whites, I use baby hair bands
Shouldn't need to be kept warm, that's what mum and littermates are for
Agreed your littlest guy should be fine. I had one that size at birth but he quickly caught up to his siblings. 

I use paper wristbands and write names or numbers on them to tell similar kittens apart. The Hairbands work as MM suggested also work well. 

Also agreed you don't have to have the sock. If it comforts the Mom then by all means, just make sure the babies can move away from it if they get too warm. 

With white kittens in both litters  I wonder if they all had the same Dad or if they got the white gene from Maya. Regardless, it sort of sounds like a Jerry Springer episode! 

Congratulations on the new batch! I have 5 and it's getting crazy with them starting to move around. I can't wait to see what it's like with 13! Take pictures!!!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

justine

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good evening everyone!

I thought I would send an update. I have 13 cats/kittens in the house now and it is so much fun!

The set of four kittens is now almost 5 weeks old and so playful. What a joy they have been! Two are boys and two are girls, and it is very obvious! They seem to play differently too!

The set of six is now about 3 weeks old and starting to move around. I am pretty sure three are girls and the other three are most definitely boys!

Mommas and kittens are all healthy and I am so thankful.

I am working with a rescue organization that is going to pay for vets checks, boosters, and the neuters of all - WOOHOO!

It will be bittersweet when these kittens find their forever homes. My heart did get attached!

Anyways, here are some oh so cute pictures for your enjoyment!

Thanks again for all the help!

Justine

Girl kitty

Girl kitty

Boy kitty

Boy kitty

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad all is going well and the rescue group will help you. 

That blue colourpoint girl is delightful 

eb24

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh they are so adorable! I'm so glad they are all doing well (and that you are surviving with that many)! 

It's amazing you found the rescue to work with- it sounds like it has all worked out just right!