Two pregnant cats ... What to do?

kittykatpak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat got let out and wound up pregnant. I was out of town and they couldn't stand her crazy meowing and let her outside. They didn't know it was because she was in heat.

She had a spaying scheduled, but by the time we got to it, she was to far along to do anything to. She is allowed inside, and I'm hoping to let her have them in my bedroom that way I know she is safe.

Then I was given another frisky feline and she is pregnant also. But this girl is NOT house-broke. She gets into everything and has broken many things. Plus, she and my other cat just do not get along. And the family refuses to let this girl inside to birth.

I don't want to confine her in some type of pen to birth, but it seems I may have to as we have many feral toms running around.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

As soon as these kittens are weaned, both females will be going straight to the spay clinic. No more babies for them!

Thanks! KKP

cutekittenkat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, welcome to the site.

You are definatly going to want to have her confined during the last week or so of her pregnancy, or she will have them outside and you may not know, and they could get attacked, and she could get pregnant again etc. Just over all, not a good thing...
Do you know how far along she is?
Do you have any spare room that she could stay in? If not, a large dog crate with a box would work too. Also, it would be good to not let her outside again until the babies are weaned and she is spayed.
Some tips
start her on kitten food so she can get some extra protein.
Give her a quiet box in a corner or somewhere else private where she can feel safe having her kittens.
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kittykatpak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by CuteKittenKat

First of all, welcome to the site.

You are definatly going to want to have her confined during the last week or so of her pregnancy, or she will have them outside and you may not know, and they could get attacked, and she could get pregnant again etc. Just over all, not a good thing...
Do you know how far along she is?
Do you have any spare room that she could stay in? If not, a large dog crate with a box would work too. Also, it would be good to not let her outside again until the babies are weaned and she is spayed.
Some tips
start her on kitten food so she can get some extra protein.
Give her a quiet box in a corner or somewhere else private where she can feel safe having her kittens.
If you have any other questions, feel free to ask
Thanks for the quick reply.

No, I don't know how far along she is. =[ I wish I had extra room but it looks like she will have to be in the crate then. I tried her in it and she freaks. The squaling is horrible. And she isn't litter trained either.

I have a crate like this: http://www.jefferspet.com/ssc/produc...239&cmkw=I5-B4

Would that be ok? Are the holes to large?

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How large is your crate? You need a potty box , food , water in it .... Also you can make it safer for the babies with cardbourd around the sides or some use a baby bumper for a crib

kittykatpak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

How large is your crate? You need a potty box , food , water in it .... Also you can make it safer for the babies with cardbourd around the sides or some use a baby bumper for a crib
It is 42"L x 28"W x 30"H.

kittykatpak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just a BUMP

Also, how long do I have to wait until after the kittens are born before I can get them spayed?

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by KittyKatPak

Also, how long do I have to wait until after the kittens are born before I can get them spayed?
Spaying a mother can dry up her milk, so it's not customary to have that done (unless it's an emergency) until the kittens are at least weaning age, which is 8 weeks. If you have to have it done sooner for any reason, including birth complications, be prepared to dropper-feed the kittens.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One tip if the feral momma is not litter box trained, is to put potting soil or other earth into the cat sand. That's more like what she is used to. Then gradually put less and less of it in there.

Once you can feel the babies moving, it should be approximately 2 weeks.

I've only had one pregnant cat, but it seems to me that in most cases the cat goes for quite a few more days than you actually think she will! (haha, like a watched pot never boils)

Keep us updated. Do the 2 mother cats know each other? If so, they often will look after each others' kittens.

kittykatpak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

One tip if the feral momma is not litter box trained, is to put potting soil or other earth into the cat sand. That's more like what she is used to. Then gradually put less and less of it in there.

Once you can feel the babies moving, it should be approximately 2 weeks.

I've only had one pregnant cat, but it seems to me that in most cases the cat goes for quite a few more days than you actually think she will! (haha, like a watched pot never boils)

Keep us updated. Do the 2 mother cats know each other? If so, they often will look after each others' kittens.
Thanks for the tip about the potting soil.

Yes they do know each other. But they don't like each other. Well, my siamese does't like her. Spot is always trying to play/be nice but Baby wants NONE of it.

Can the mother cat get pregnant again is she is still nursing the kittens?

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Thanks for the tip about the potting soil.

Yes they do know each other. But they don't like each other. Well, my siamese does't like her. Spot is always trying to play/be nice but Baby wants NONE of it.

Yes, the mother can get pregnant again while nursing.

kittykatpak

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Yes, the mother can get pregnant again while nursing.
Oh boy, this is going to be fun ...

ebrillblaiddes

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise

Barn cats in kitten season are often nursing two litters at once. Some cats go into heat immediately after birth (I'm not sure why but I think it's an insane hormones thing).

It's a good idea to keep the mother and litter isolated from tomcats anyway because a tomcat sometimes kills the kittens (especially if he's not the dad) to get the mom cat to have more kittens with him.