Two Preggo Rescues

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tepster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I bought some canned food and mixed it with a little dry and some kmr. A few of them ate at it, but in no great quantity. I've also been a bit concerned about how much weight the moms have lost, so I was happy to see them lapping it up. My gut says all are fine as is evidenced by the amount of romping around, but as it's my first time as a kitty mommy, I don't want to be the reason they don't thrive. Thanks for the help!

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If the moms are losing weight, see if you can improve their feeding too -- I always mix some powdered KMR and extra water in with their wet food (which they get three times a day at least while the kittens are nursing and not eating solids themselves) and also have dry HIGH QUALITY kitten food available to the moms constantly.  None of this ground yellow corn as the first ingredient stuff, but chicken (not meal, real chicken) as the first ingredient.  You may think it's expensive but they eat half as much of it than the other because it doesn't have useless fillers in it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tepster

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I only feed 4Health and they have plenty at all times. I just started the mixing of wet and dry with the kmr, too. I guess it's just the norm for nursing mommas, but, again, my first time at this so I'm a little freakish! They are all on a large and very secure screened porch with plenty of hiding places, litter boxes, food, and water. The only thing I wish I could change is the frequency in which we have to walk thru there, but they don't really seem to mind now that the kittens are playing and running around so much. Thanks for the tips! I do feel better!

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congrats on having so many healthy kittens!!

A couple cents to throw in here-

The moms will very soon if they have not already, go into heat.

You mentioned getting them spayed as soon as the kits are weaned, excellent news!!

Obviously immediately after they are done nursing, allow them to dry up their milk supply for 10-14 days to make the surgery as smooth as possible for them. 

But don't wait so they are not pregnant once again, which is very common with moms.

Also, no worries about moms looking thinner, they all have a very skinny, saggy haggared look to them after delivering and nursing. Moms who only appear to be nursing for a short time will do this because they are beginning to tire of it, needing some time away from them. Often times though, mom will nurse during the night, much more, it just seems to be how it works.

They will nurse less and less as their kits learn to eat from a dish. Moms know when they are still needed, even if just for 1 or 2.

Do lots and lots of kitten handling, otherwise they will be taking their cues from momma and will be standoffish, which of course you don't want for them.