Two older cats; new kitten

ckhatcher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Same old story:  We have two 8-month olds cats.  They mostly stay inside, but letting them out a little at the time, in back yard.

A kitten, about 2 month old, "took up" with us.  Was at the window.  We couldnt just take him away.  The older cats are mail and female.  The female hisses and spits growls at the kitten.  He only wants to play.  When might this stop, and should we worry about it?  THe kitten seems to like both cats.  The large male plays and does not seem to mind the kitten. 

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! 

Cats; being territorial, need to be introduced to each other.  This article has some very helpful information on how to introduce cats to cats. http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats  There is a link to this and more threads and articles at the top of this Behavior forum you might find useful too.

How long it takes depends on the cats.  I have issues with my 2 girls after I just take them to the vet!  Even when they go together.  They need time to get to know each others scents and what not.  Are the older 2 spayed and neutered?  I've heard that makes a difference for some kitties.  I would hope since your older two are still technically kittens; that they'd have an easier time accepting the new little one.  But still; be sure your girl cat has somewhere to escape to (like the top of a cat tree) while she adjust to the new one.  Also the new kitten is still young enough that he is learning social skills.  Most recommendations are for kittens to be 12 weeks before leaving Mom so they get those skills.  Many are just fine; but he is just very young with a lot to learn.  You might find your older girl putting him in his place. 

Good luck with your kitties!  

Feel free to post more questions too if you come up with any.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ckhatcher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much.  Guess we just need re-assuring that they will eventually get along, at least distantly!  Will keep trying.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ckhatcher

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, I am happy to report that they are all three co-existing!  The little one runs the others crazy playing, but they are handling it well!  Thanks for this site!