Two new feral kittens!

twentyone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So a few weeks ago me and my family have taken in two kittens, brother and sister. Everything is pretty normal, but I have a few questions. The first two are about the sister, Munchkin. When we got her she weighed only about three quarters of what she should and has gained weight back but is still not all the way there. My question is that her eyes always look so sad, like not open as much as they could be on the top half, do you have any idea why? I think possibly it could be depression that will go away as she gains weight or just the way she looks because her face is a little bony still. Also, her nose gets so dirty every single day. I read a little on it and it said it could be caused because of dust, but her brother Midnight doesn't have this. I also read it could be a symptom of a cold. She's eating fine and playing, drinking water and walking normal, everything else is fine. I usually use a Q tip with water on it to clean it but today I put peroxide on it instead and it started to bubble up like how it does when it cleans cuts. Is everything okay with her? I'm worried as to why it foamed up and to whether its normal or not. And with Midnight, nothing serious, more just my curiosity, but he makes this chewbacca sounding noise with his mouth completely closed and I don't know why. He makes it a lot when he runs and plays with his sister so I think maybe it means hes happy or anxious. Oh and he keeps doing this really weird thing! It's hard to explain, he'll just sit there and i think he rubs his tongue on the roof of his mouth and it looks like hes chewing on air and kinda sounds like he's chewing on something hard, but that could just be the noise of the roughness of his tongue rubbing against the roof of his mouth. I checked his mouth and there's no loose teeth or anything, he's been doing it for a few days. and one last question, does anyone know how to tell a kittens age by its teeth? I tried looking it up on the internet but i need someone to be more descriptive. They have the canines on the top and bottom, but not the tiny incisor teeth in the front between them, but they are coming a little. And they have what I think are called the molars and pre molars, I have been giving them cat food and wetting it to soften it because I think its still too hard for them but am not sure, should I be wetting it or is it unnecessary? Thank you to anyone that helps me

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on the new kittens! Do you have pics to share? As far as the kitten's eyes, it might just be the way they look. If she is running around and playing I don't think she is depressed. Does her nose look crusty? It could be a cold and she should see the vet. I wouldn't use peroxide on her nose anymore. It's too harsh .I don't think it means anything because it foamed up.  Just clean it with a damp towel. My cats are very vocal too. One of them makes a noise like Chewbacca also. He does it when he's playing or getting pet so I think it's a happy noise.
 If you want to feed them softer food, canned food is healthy for cats and easier then wetting dry food.  Enjoy your new little furballs!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

twentyone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Finally a response!!!
 We do have some wet canned food, but its so much more expensive so its limited. They have their molars and I believe they're called pre molars? (The teeth right before their molars) Of course I have plenty of pictures! I just don't know how to upload them lol, but i'll try. And I know they do need to go to the vet, money is just a little tight right now and i'm trying to do everything I can for them. Thank you for your help!!! 

twentyone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And with her nose, it basically just looks like dirt, and its hard to get it off so its dry, its black too and if I go too long without cleaning it it will just keep building up.

smitten4kittens

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's fine to soften the dry with water as long as it doesn't sit out too long.

I'm very curious what it could be on her nose. Do you think it could be feline acne? It looks like little black dots and can be caused by plastic food bowls. Just a thought.

twentyone

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't think so, its really thick, kind of like hard boogers but black, and both of their bowls are actually our bowls, so like clay or something like that.