Two month old kitten constantly biting.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm surprised that no one addressed the fact that you admitted in the OP to hot saucing a kitten as punishment. Where did you get this idea from? 

Actually, I did:

[quote name="otto" url="/t/246665/]
Squirting Eli with water won't teach him not to bite, but putting Tabasco on his tongue is actually more inhumane than water, it will burn his little tongue, please don't do that any more.
![/quote]

And regardless of what any vet says or the op's mother did, I maintain that hot sauce is not good for cats and probably burns their tongues, and should not be given to them even if they like it. Tabasco sauce burns.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

forwhatwefear

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I understand that hot sauce is bad for them im not stupid ive stopped doing that because he finally relized that he needs to play with his toys.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I know perfectly the way to MAKE a kitten into a biter, because I watched a friend of mine do it, once.  He wouldn't listen to me when I told him what he was doing, but a couple of months later, he regretted it.

What he did was play vigorously with the kitten with his hand, coming at it slowly like an attacker, fingers spread out, then putting his hand over the cat's face and shaking it.  He thought the kitten jumping at his hand was cute.

Once you've trained them that way, it's hard to break the habit.  The best you can hope for is to keep from making a move that reminds the kitten of that play.

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Actually, I did:
And regardless of what any vet says or the op's mother did, I maintain that hot sauce is not good for cats and probably burns their tongues, and should not be given to them even if they like it. Tabasco sauce burns.
I agree with you, but I also think that the idea of purposely wanting to burn a cats mouth with hot sauce as punishment is abusive. I was so shocked when I first that that I just didn't even know what to say. Honestly, the more crap I read on these forums about how people treat their cats, makes want to stop coming here. 

mypallily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree with you, but I also think that the idea of purposely wanting to burn a cats mouth with hot sauce as punishment is abusive. I was so shocked when I first that that I just didn't even know what to say. Honestly, the more crap I read on these forums about how people treat their cats, makes want to stop coming here. 
Funny Melesine, I am feeling the same way.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
To be honest, reading really rude reponses to people who post here asking advice makes me want to stop coming here. 

Forwhatwefear knows she was given inappropriate advice and will not do this anymore. Give her a break.

I'm so pleased, Forwhatwefear, that you've found ways to redirect Eli's attention.  It would be great to keep hearing how he's going.

mypallily

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm new here and for me, I guess I find it surprising that one would not come to the forum for advice first, before hitting, nose popping or using Tabasco on their cat's tongue.  I joined because I thought it would be fun to be involved in a site that was dedicated to people who love cats like I do.  It was my choice to look at the Behaviour part of the site and I thought that I could help with my years of experience with cats and maybe learn a few new things as well.  I never considered that I would run across people who feel that harming a cat would be the right route to go regarding discipline.   I struggle with the fact that so many people think it is OK to hurt an animal rather than try more gentle methods to redirect unwanted behaviours. 

Being new, one would probably think I should sit back and just let something like this pass, but by agreeing with Melesine, I knew I would be opening myself up to criticism.  Having said that, I stand by what I said because the truth is, I probably wouldn't have joined this site if I thought there would be members abusing their cats.  It simply never entered my mind that someone would consider something like that on a forum that I thought was dedicated to people who love cats.  I understand there are behaviour problems at times, but physically acting out before getting some advice when there is plenty of it here, is a little surprising to me.  Did I make a mistake in joining?  Right now, I'm not sure.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm new here and for me, I guess I find it surprising that one would not come to the forum for advice first, before hitting, nose popping or using Tabasco on their cat's tongue.  I joined because I thought it would be fun to be involved in a site that was dedicated to people who love cats like I do.  It was my choice to look at the Behaviour part of the site and I thought that I could help with my years of experience with cats and maybe learn a few new things as well.  I never considered that I would run across people who feel that harming a cat would be the right route to go regarding discipline.   I struggle with the fact that so many people think it is OK to hurt an animal rather than try more gentle methods to redirect unwanted behaviours. 

Being new, one would probably think I should sit back and just let something like this pass, but by agreeing with Melesine, I knew I would be opening myself up to criticism.  Having said that, I stand by what I said because the truth is, I probably wouldn't have joined this site if I thought there would be members abusing their cats.  It simply never entered my mind that someone would consider something like that on a forum that I thought was dedicated to people who love cats.  I understand there are behaviour problems at times, but physically acting out before getting some advice when there is plenty of it here, is a little surprising to me.  Did I make a mistake in joining?  Right now, I'm not sure.
That's one of the reasons we are here. To teach people how to properly care for and train their cats. Yes, it can be very upsetting sometimes. I have learned to be very cautious about what threads I open, because I could, (and have) make myself sick worrying about other people's cats.

Some people really don't know what is appropriate. They come here, or other forums like these, and learn. And not only the person asking the question learns, but anyone else reading the thread, too.

Not everyone learns, but if our advice can help even one cat have a better life, it's worth it. You just have to make up your mind how much you personally can handle. Sometimes, just hovering my mouse over a thread title, to get a preview of the topic will make me realize I don't want to read the thread. But, since I have a LOT of experience training biters, I was drawn to this thread.

Back on topic, I am glad Eli is doing better with the biting. As I said before, keep a carton of throw toys handy at all times. When he goes for your ankles, throw the toys to distract him.

Distraction, and positive reinforcement of desirable behaviors is what works for cats. Discipline does not work on cats. :)

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There is another thing called "bitter apple" that you could put on your hands to deter him from biting...maybe.  Just as some people (and some cats) will like tabasco, some cats won't mind the bitter apple stuff, either.  It's often used to keep kittens from chewing on wires. 

jezahb

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
There is another thing called "bitter apple" that you could put on your hands to deter him from biting...maybe.  Just as some people (and some cats) will like tabasco, some cats won't mind the bitter apple stuff, either.  It's often used to keep kittens from chewing on wires. 

I actually suggested that too! 

I have heard of people using something like Bitter Apple on their hands to discourage kittens nomming on fingers
I know people use it with dogs A LOT, so if the toy trick stops working it is worth a shot in my opinion. Good luck! 

Last edited: