Two month kitten recovering from panleukopenia

Parismommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, my two months old kitten contracted fpv from another kitten. Her vet did a great job and started her on an antibiotic course plus gave her twice a day IV fluids when she stopped eating. We took care of her at home with twice a day trips to the vet. Today the vet is stopping her antibiotics and other medication as she has not done any vomit for a couple of days, no diarrhoea for 36 hours (she is doing semi-solid poos) and has also been eating, drinking normally for two days. However, I am worried if her medicines may be coming off to soon as she is very lethargic and is still spending more of the day sleeping. When she is awake, she eats, drinks, poos, grooms a bit but seems very tired and can only walk small distances. It is going to be 7 days since her symptoms of vomit, diarrhoea began. Does it sound okay that her medicine is stopping now tho she is very tired? I am really scared she will relapse

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It's great that she's eating and drinking on her own. It can actually take a few weeks for her to get back to normal. She'll be tired and a bit off for awhile yet. Just pay attention, and if she starts getting WORSE, back to the vet without delay! Panleukopenia is one of those disease that there is really no medication for. The antibiotics were to prevent secondary infections while her immune system was so very compromised. So that isn't going to be a huge issue, with her eating and drinking again.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I am so glad it she sounds like she is on the mend! I have no personal experience with this disease, but every time a case comes up on this site, I read more and more about FPV. I have read many articles that state if a cat gets past the 5 day mark the prognosis is good! It doesn't seem to be typical for a cat to start to recover and then relapse - although I am sure it can't totally be ruled out, but it isn't the norm. I also have read that she will be tired, and the best thing to do is keep her food/water/litterbox nearby so that she doesn't have to exert much effort in getting to eat/drink/pee/poop.

The other thing that I have read about is that depression is a big issue with these cats, so some of the lethargy you see might also be her being a bit depressed. While you do need to avoid over-stimulation, by keeping her in a calm, quiet environment, giving her plenty of affection and physical contact is advised to help curtail any depression she might be going through.

Keep us posted. We hope to hear that every day she gets a little bit better. Her name and a pic, when you are comfortable sharing, would be very much welcomed!!