Two kittens

rubyr

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 7 month old neutered male, very playful, but a gentle personality. I got kitten nr. 2. a 12 week old female, to keep him company.

I set up a separate room for her, first 24 hrs ok & nr. 1 already sniffing curiously at the door. Then the problems started, when I left nr. 2 alone she howled without stopping. I spent lots of time with her to calm her down, but I could not be there all the time and I did not want to neglect nr. 1. The howling got so bad that nr. 1 got quite distressed.

I gave in and let the new kitten out for some supervised time together. There was a bit of hissing, then on to nose sniffing quite quickly. I fed them together. So far so good. The new kitten started playing with nr 1s toys and after a little while nr. 1 seemed a bit bothered, so I took nr 2 back to her room. The howling started again.

This has gone on now for two weeks with little progress. The new kitten eats nr 1s food and , sleeps in his space . When I try to play with nr. 1, nr 2 jumps on his toys, when I brush him she bites me, when I try to cuddle him, she tries to get between us. Nr 1 had made attempts to play with nr 2, but she ignores him. He has tried to put her in her place, holding her down and licking her, but she just ignores him, runs off and plays by herself.

I am scared this is going too fast for nr 1, but I don't see any alternatives, when the new kitten howls all the time. The last two days the new kitten has gone into nr 1s litter and removed everything he has done (dragged it out onto the floor).

I know it has only been 2 weeks, but I'm really not sure if it's worth struggling on with this situation, I don't think it's good for any of us. I only got nr 2 to keep nr 1 happy, but I'm worried that maybe their personalities are not suited.

Does anyone have any opinions on this situation?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might want to try some cat to cat introductions.  I will post a few links and a video too.  Sometimes cats will get along very well right from the start and others take a long time.  My advice is to take it slow. 

As for the howling, I would get a feliway plug in and use it in the kittens room.  It may help to calm her.  You can also use feline composure treats or composure liquid max mixed into her wet food.  This works well to help calm cats.

http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats

http://www.catbehaviorassociates.com/a-simple-little-trick-to-use-during-new-cat-introductions/

http://jacksongalaxy.com/2010/10/01/cat-to-cat-introductions/

lamiatron

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
has kitten #2 been fixed yet? she seems a bit aggressive, and it could just be that she's trying to mix kitty #1 by using his toys and bedding, but her eating his food, and dragging his waste out of the litter box...this seems like she's being aggressive and trying to be dominant over #1.

If she hasn't been fixed yet, she could just be starting to come of age...