Two gorgeous sleek black sister rescues need home

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is possible to do that with our foster system through the shelter. But is unlikely that she would get adopted that way. Most people want to just go to a shelter and "see" all the kittens/cats all together at once. The percentage of cats/kittens staying in the foster home for adoption goes WAY down because someone has to want to request to see that cat and has to make an appointment with the foster. It is possible, but unlikely with Avery, being that #1, she is black, #2, she was feral, #3, she will be afraid of strangers. She just needs to realize that people won't hurt her and start trusting but with even home-raised cats there are some who are afraid of strangers and it is even more so with a feral. I wish people would realize that with a feral cat, once they trust you, then they LOVE you to the fullest of their ability and are the MOST loyal cats. It is a very cool relationship but takes time and patience to nurture. ARGH!!!!!! I am praying for someone like that to come along......

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I hope someone does come along and adopt Avery, or maybe she'll do well with her new foster parents and they'll adopt her.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pixie now has an eye infection!!! But we are treating it at the shelter with gentomicin eye ointment and it is better today. She still has her cagemate Shelly. I held Pixie multiple times this afternoon while I was there. She purred like crazy and seems very content in the kitten room. We have had a few more young kittens come in that are sick so Pixie might have gotten something from them. The cages are right next to one another. She is shedding like crazy too. So I brushed her a bit.

Avery is still in the foster home and doing FABULOUS!!!!! I guess she loves to play with her kitty balls (that doesn't sound right
). The foster mom has some foster puppies in the kitchen in an X-pen and I guess Avery is constantly playing with them and trying to get in the pen!! Isn't that funny! She likes being held and pet by her foster mom too. I have no idea how she will be when she has to come back to the shelter. I hope to see she has started to trust strangers and no more hissing/growling. She might be coming back over the weekend.

So far, there has been no interest in either of the girls. So keep sending vibes for them and thank you
!!!!!

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Feralvr

Pixie now has an eye infection!!! But we are treating it at the shelter with gentomicin eye ointment and it is better today. She still has her cagemate Shelly. I held Pixie multiple times this afternoon while I was there. She purred like crazy and seems very content in the kitten room. We have had a few more young kittens come in that are sick so Pixie might have gotten something from them. The cages are right next to one another. She is shedding like crazy too. So I brushed her a bit.

Avery is still in the foster home and doing FABULOUS!!!!! I guess she loves to play with her kitty balls (that doesn't sound right
). The foster mom has some foster puppies in the kitchen in an X-pen and I guess Avery is constantly playing with them and trying to get in the pen!! Isn't that funny! She likes being held and pet by her foster mom too. I have no idea how she will be when she has to come back to the shelter. I hope to see she has started to trust strangers and no more hissing/growling. She might be coming back over the weekend.

So far, there has been no interest in either of the girls. So keep sending vibes for them and thank you
!!!!!
I hope Pixie feels better soon!

I'm glad Avery is doing better, sounds like she'll be ok in a home with dogs

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Feralvr

I guess she loves to play with her kitty balls (that doesn't sound right
).
That's what makes toy balls so much fun

Should have seen when Midnight was still very little, he had 2 aluminum foil balls that he lost. I looked every where and he wasn't able to leave my room back then. So I came out and just happened to say "dad Midnight lost his balls" I didn't even realize how it sounded LOL

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pixie is still doing alright at the shelter, although she has been battling with an eye infection and is now getting new drops. And the other eye looks kinda bad today. So I am worried. She loves her cagemate Shelly and they play, sleep and eat together. I keep praying for a home for her, as she is so sweet and loving.

AND!!!!! Avery is still in her foster home and her foster mom wants to adopt her if she can talk her DH into adding her to the family permanently. She already has two black cats who adore Avery. Foster mom seems to have fallen in love with Avery and will feel badly to have to bring her back to the shelter. I, too, am concerned about Avery coming back to the shelter as I think she will regress back into growling/hissing. Please send vibes for Avery that she gets adopted by her foster family.

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, lots of for Avery! That would be so wonderful.

As far as the eye thing, there is a lot of that going around at my shelter. One of my very favorite kitties, a tabby with a mangled ear, Constantine, has been in the isolation room (for sick cats - but not so sick they need to be in the clinic) because he needs eye meds three times a day, and he's not adoptable while he has this problem. But yesterday they let me go in there and cuddle him because I was pining for him.

Hope Pixie is all better soon. Sending for her, too.

Robin

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thanks Robin!!!

It is very difficult for me to go there and see Pixie let alone see her getting sick. It makes me feel guilty too. But I have to focus on reality and how many cats I can keep myself. And also that she is better off there than outside living in fear, threat of disease, threat of foxes (which we have many around me) and a life of uncertainty.

Thanks again,
Lauren

lovewhiskers

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Lots of adoption vibes for little Avery:vibe s: And lots of healing vibes for little Pixie:vibe s:

I am following this thread closely Lauren and wish only the best for these two little beauties.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
At least Pixie seems to have found a friend. Hopefully they can both be adopted together. Hopefully Avery get's adopted soon to!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Avery is still with her foster mom
and the word is positive that she will be adopting her but do not know for sure yet..... She is doing fabulous with her two other black cats. So if she keeps Avery, she will have three black cats

Pixie needs VIBES please. She is suffering terribly and I was going to bring her home, but on top of her URI's she now has ringworm...... It is not confirmed yet, but it likely as there are a few other cases that have come into the shelter recently from a high-kill shelter in southern Illinois. So, now Pixie is in the quarantine room, and my heart is breaking. It will be weeks before she will even go up for adoption again and then kitten season is in full bloom. I will have alot to think about over these next few days. I feel responsible for her awful condition and don't know what to do. I will go and spend as much time as I can with her. My only other option is to wait until the ringworm is under control and bring her home somewhere in my house quarantined in my cat playpen for awhile. I had a ringworm nightmare about twenty years ago and I do not want to go through that again and put my cat's at risk. Pipsqueak already has a slightly weak immune system and is on L-Lysine everyday.

I look outside at my healthy ferals and think of Pixie in that shelter very ill. Did I do the right thing? Should I have kept her too with Magilla? She wouldn't be this sick if I had released her back outside after her TNR. Pixie is such a friendly and social cat and on day two after her trapping, she was the first one to reach for my hand with her paw. I figured she was the best candidate to get adopted and a new home because of her personality. But, now, this is a major set-back. for Pixie, I am sorry Pixie that you are suffering

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry that Pixie is ill. It must be heartbreaking for you.

I am constantly depressed about the 15+ aging black kittens at my shelter. I've been making a concerted effort to get the ones, now 2 or 3 to a cage (liter mates), out of their cages and into a "playroom" each week. With that aim, I've started going in a second afternoon a week, now spending 5-6 hours per week at the shelter. This extra time (beyond my usual 2.5-3 hours per week) I really don't have, nor the energy to do. But other volunteers don't take them out of their cages as much as other cats, who are mostly alone in cages, because the groups of large kittens are harder to control. I just get help putting them in a carrier and then take them to the room for 20-30 minutes and play with string toys with them. But this may be the only time out of their cage the whole week. What upsets me also is that these kittens are so out of shape that they are winded so easily. Not at all normal.

I know you are wondering if you are responsible for Pixie's condition and if she would have been better off if you had not taken her to the shelter. Well you're not responsible, you know. You did what you thought and hoped would be the best for her. It's just so hard to get black cats, even kittens, adopted. Just yesterday I was helping someone look for an older kitten, and the first things she said was, "No black ones," (but I was nice to her anyway).

At least Pixie is in a shelter who won't euthanize her for just having ringworm. It sounds like you have a plan to bring her home once her ringworm is under control. If you can bring her home, that is. I would certainly bring more home except that I can't handle any more, for a number of reasons. I, too, am very anxious about kitten season approaching. And I fully understand and support your position and post regarding the need for spaying and neutering cats, and how irresponsible it is to not do so.

Pixie is lucky to have you looking out for her and making sure she gets attention and the best care. All little black kitties are not so lucky. It breaks my heart.

Lots of for Pixie's recovery. And
to you.

Robin

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
thanks Robin for you kind supportive words. I know you are right, but I can't shake that feeling of her suffering in that isolation cage and me here at home lavishing attention on her sister Magilla. Somehow, it just doesn't feel right, I just feel darn right guilty, even though I know that's crazy. I could have not predicted this at all, she was so healthy when she went there. DARN IT!!!!!! We do have some ringworm cases at the shelter. AHS does NOT euthanize for that and if that were the case, I would go get her and quarantine her here somewhere for a few weeks and just wear a "hazmat" suit to go in

Thanks for the vibes everyone, you are all great cat lovers

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep the faith. She has you on her side, plus all of us.

She is in my prayers every night. You are an angel to these kitties. I am in awe of all you do, even tho you know your heart will be in pain.

God bless.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Avery got adopted today by her foster mom!!
:
so that is one down and one sick baby to go yet.

I visited Pixie today and held her for a long while. She fell asleep wrapped in the blanket I snuggled her in. Jane, the cat health director, is not sure that Pixie has ringworm because it doesn't glow under the black light. But I don't think all ringworm glows? It sure looks like ringworm. I think I will bring her in for a culture to be done so we know for sure. Her eyes are so swollen and red it is just awful. I will be seeing her a lot this week and have to be very very careful at disinfecting myself before I get home. And change my clothes in the garage before I get near my own cats.

my4llma

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Avery got adopted!
I'm so happy to read this! Wow 3 all black cats? How do they tell them apart?

I'm so sorry to read this about Pixie. It's not your fault. You didn't know this would happen. You did what you could, trying to get her to a forever home, a happy life. You didn't know this would happen. I'm sorry Pixie is so sick. I hope that she does get better soon. If you do adopt her, I know she'll have a great life with you

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Pixie just got adopted today and I am still floored about this. She JUST got back to the shelter today after her terrible ordeal with ringworm and constant eye infections. Anyway, a young couple came in to the shelter and just fell totally in love with her. So, now all of the kittens I trapped have new loving homes and I am just so darn tickled!!!!!
. I will also post this on the health forum for Pixie vibes.. Thank you all so much for following this thread. And I am happy to say, the thread is now put to rest

bastetservant

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just thrilled. I did all my whoop-de-doos on the other thread. I'm tired now.

And Avery was adopted by her foster mom, right? So both babies are now safe in the arms of their meowmies and meowdaddies in their furever homes?

I like happy endings.

You did a good job with them, feralvr! You should be proud!

Robin