Two Feral Cats - Help Getting Them To Socialize

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Gr8fulcatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In response to your original Q, I have been with them around the click since Friday afternoon, and I spend a few hours on weeknights with them, so just pretty much all of my free time.

Gr8fulcatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
THEY finally came out at 10 tonight...in their cave since 4...seems the little gray one jacks is more skiddish then before, they both seem to never minor setback, feel bad because I will be gone for 9 hours tomorrow, guesss I’ll just have to stay up for a couple more hrs

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
While you're out try setting a radio to the classic station and leaving it on at low volume. Some cats respond really well to classical music. The more they hear the sound of human voices the better. I've heard classical harp music is really soothing for cats too.

Gr8fulcatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So funny I was listening to a dead show tonight and the first beat of a sing, they both hopped out together, Miracle!

Gr8fulcatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The smaller gray JackS is less interactive, but now sleeping very close by me soooo exciting, especially after he hides if I move a tie, lol:)))

Gr8fulcatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Going incredibly well..all purrs! However, 2 nights ago JackS emerged from the hiding spot (which is now closed off to thanks to my Mom) with a bald patch next to his ear. I realized I had forgotten to administer the deworming meds. After 10 days from last dose, which ironically would’ve have been two days ago.
So, I administered it a few hours ago, thinking that must be it as they are not scratching much. What do you think? Will try and capture photo.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm glad it's all going well.

:yess:

Worms wouldn't cause him to scratch. Worms cause bloat and weight loss and runny stool. If he's scratching his ears it's more likely to be ear mites, which will make him shake his head and you'll see dark gritty stuff in his ears, or fleas.

My vet has a spot-on medicine which treats fleas and ear mites. Not sure what it's called, the brand name in Asia is probably different to the one you'll be able to get.

Call your vet and ask what they recommend.

Looking forward to more pictures. :loveeyes:

Gr8fulcatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don’t think that it is ear mites. I’ve had cats with ear mites and it was unmistakable. I understand that this could possibly be ringworm, which I am not sure is treatable with the deworming medicine I gave them. They do not scratch much, so J do not think they have fleas. Hopefully it will clear up or I will have to try and figure out what is going on

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Oh dear, that does look like it could be ringworm. It glows under a black light, so if you could get a light to check with that would tell you for sure.

But you're getting your vets help, so that is the best way to deal with it. I think the earlier you start treating this the easier it will be to get rid of.

Fingers crossed for you and the kitties.

:crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers::crossfingers: