Two Dogs?? You gotta be kidding me???

halfpint

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't want to big ones
I just hope they don't scare the cats, I won't have a dog if it can't get along perfectly with the Cats. I have alway's had Bassets and they alway's are very good with the Cats. Zoie thinks she related to them
Sometimes I'm sure she feels like she's walking around in a land mine with 8 of them

wookie130

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I have a lot of experience in this arena, for sure.

We have always had our 3 large dogs (originally my husband's), and my 2 cats came with me into the marriage. Then, we acquired Captain Steuben last year, making 3 large dogs, and 3 kitties. In early December, our oldest dog, Ginger, had cancer, and had to be euthanized, bringing us down to 2 large dogs, and 3 cats. Now, in May or June of this year, we're getting a basset hound puppy, once again having 3 big dogs, 3 cats.

Fergus and Ripley (my original pair of cats), took quite a while making the adjustment to living with dogs...at least a year. Fergus is fine with them now, and Ripley basically despises the dogs, and simply lets them do their thing. Captain Steuben was brought into the dog world as a young kitten, so he LOVES the dogs, and thinks nothing of it. I'm expecting the basset puppy to make an easy adjustment to the cats as well, being a youngin', and being a fairly laid-back breed. Now, Melvin, our golden retriever (a large, 90 lb. doofus is a better description), loves cats...he doesn't seem to care, and doesn't chase or bug the kitties EVER. Hence, the cats co-habitate with him peacefully. It was the same with our old girl, Ginger (she was a boxer/chow-chow mix)...she actually allowed baby Captain Steuben to sleep with her and "nurse" on her. The cats were fine with her as well. And then there's Puppy...our 4 year-old rottweiler/chow-chow/black lab mix. She's basically a territorial snot, who thinks that she owns God and country. I love her, and she does have a wonderful temperment. But, being completely spoiled ROTTEN by my husband, and never having any formal obedience training, she has never had good manners with the cats...she is their arch enemy, in a nutshell. In the beginning, she'd bark at them, chase them, stick her big black nose all over them, and chew up their toy mice. Ripley thinks that Puppy is Satan, and I suppose she kind of is...she's HUGE, she's BLACK, she has teeth from H*LL, she's loud, and rather rude to her feline counterparts. However, she has NEVER been aggressive to any of them, and seems to think that the cats are there for her amusement more than anything...I trust that she will remain safe with them. Over time, the situation has gotten significantly better...Puppy has been way more calm (especially after a few claw-extended nose-boppers from Ripley) around the cats, and the cats aren't as stressed in her presence. It's definitely improving.

I enjoy my big doggies, and love them. I also love my cats to death. Is everyone happy? Yes!!! This is our home, and although we don't always see eye-to-eye, we all live here, and make it work, cats and dogs alike. It just takes TIME and PATIENCE, and a slow introduction process...this can go on for months and months, and then a few more months beyond that!

I say do what is in your heart...if you can foresee the situation working itself out eventually, take both of the dogs, and work at everyone's pace to integrate them into your household.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thankyou soo much for the kind words and great advice everyone!!!
I really appreciate them!!! I'm hoping tomorrow we'll get to meet the pups. (i was sick all morining so it didn't happen today- but the other officer has the same shift and same days off as colin- so i'm thinking eithor tomorrow or tues.
) As soon as it happens i'll let ya'll know!!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well - better late than never i suppose! They're here!!!!
Their names are Brownie and Digger. We are doing a trial run tonight and planning on just keeping one. We're pretty sure we're keeping Digger. I think Colin has his heart set on Digger - so i think that's the one we will wind up with. And AWESOME news- both dogs are WONDERFUL are kitties!!!!!!!
Also they don't jump on furniture and are not food aggressive
/ Brownie seems to be a few years old-he's brown and he has white spots on him with little brown dots- very sweet!! he was hit by a car one time when he got loose from their backyard- so he walks with a hint of a limp. Also- he has a nasty ear infection- i cleaned out his hears tonight and put medinice in them. He will be going to the shelter first thing in the morning to be seen by the vet- also, he is not neutered (but is up to date on vaccinations and all) so he will also be fixed. Digger is a blonde colored dog (about medium size). He is neutered and up to date on shots. He too will be going to the vet for a thorough exam. Fosters loves them both....but unfortunately enjoys humping Digger
....so umm yea that's not cool. We'll have to figure out how to break that (both digger and fosters are neutered.) Also- both new pups are excellent when it comes to not begging and also good about being gentle.
They look to be betwen 1-3 yrs old and are very sweet. I wish we could keep them both- but due to time, money, and other factors- it is best for us only to keep one. Digger has bonded the most with everyone so far- so i think that's the one Colin wants to adopt. That being said though- i have tons of friends at the shelter and they will find Brownie an EXCELLENT home and get him all of the medical attention he needs
I'll update again tomorrow for sure on what we definitely decide- but so far looks like digger is the one we're keeping and brownie will go to the shelter for medical attention and then to be placed up for adoption

Also -we will definitely be renaming
so i'll start a thread for that soon!
I'll post pictures later - my cell phone is not working right.

kluchetta

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw...that's so neat! I'm glad they're such nice doggies. And...Digger's NOT such an auspicious name for a dog, LOL!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by kluchetta

Aw...that's so neat! I'm glad they're such nice doggies. And...Digger's NOT such an auspicious name for a dog, LOL!
Me too! I was really concerned about them all getting along- but so far so well!
They are SOOOOOOOOO sweet, they're also awesome around the kitties and are very gentle natured. I am happy about that!

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I was actually wondering about the dogs today!
I'm glad at least one of them will work for you. It is actually very smart of you guys to only pick one since you really don't need/have time for 3 dogs. Of couse, we all expect that of you Nikki!!!

Can't wait for pics!!!

starryeyedtiger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

I was actually wondering about the dogs today!
I'm glad at least one of them will work for you. It is actually very smart of you guys to only pick one since you really don't need/have time for 3 dogs. Of couse, we all expect that of you Nikki!!!

Can't wait for pics!!!
I will be posting pictures as soon as i can. I had been taking them on my cell phone then texting them to my photobucket account. But the last few weeks my text messages haven't been going through when i send them at all
So i have to go to cingulair and see if they can tell me why. I have a text package?
If all else fails- next time i'm at my house i'll borrow my mom's digital!
They're cute though!!!! I'll post pictures as soon as i can.

barryz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
IMHO about humping - it is nothing to worry about it as it is not a ... hm... adult thing (fixed or not), it is attempt to establish a pack leadership. The alfa dog (male or female) humps the dogs down the line just to show who is the boss there. When new dog comes into the household as an adult, it happens quite a lot as they must to arrange the pack leadership.

maxy24

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Yeah humping is no big deal, UNLESS one of them seems really bothered by it, then you can break it up. Can't wait for pics!