Two decades, I was blessed

Eltoro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
On May 2 I lost my cat, Snewguy. I adopted her in 2003 from a local rescue when she was around 1 year old. She was a very gentle soul, never seen her get angry or upset and super affectionate. My other Cat, Max passed in 2018 (17) and while they got along, they we not best buds. Snewguy really seemed to like having my undivided attention of being the only cat in the house then, so i never thought of getting another cat. She would greet me at the door every time coming home from work .It felt so strange the day of, coming home and she was not there. Being a newbie here, I have taken to reading many of the threads within "Crossing the Bridge". There is plenty of incredible writing here and just reading some of the stories is therapy for a grieving pet owners. I am OK now, I fully realize i was extremely fortunate, lucky and blessed to have had such a loving pet companion for twenty years. Many of the sad stories I have read here with younger lives being ended too soon drives this home with me.

I am having an internal debate with myself, at the present time ,however. Uncertain if this is the proper forum section to ask for possible feedback. I have had a cat in my life as a constant since 1991. I want to adopt again in the near future. All my past Cats were adopted around one year old. This worked well in the past, beyond the kitten stage but still young enough to train away bad behavior and with good luck, we can have a long life together. However a new factor now comes into consideration. I am a 63 year old male. I live alone. The thought does occur to me that if I adopt a younger cat as I have always done in the past, he or she may out live me. Am I being selfish in even contemplating adopting a 1 or 2 year old cat? If yes, what acceptable or appropriate age of pet should I be contemplating? I lead a healthy lifestyle, do not drink nor smoke and have been very fortunate in having only minor health problems but of course everything can change in a moment and is impossible to predict, not if but when life ends for the pet and its owner. Thanks for letting me join this community.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello, you have our condolences on the loss of such a wonderful cat. We are glad you're here.

I don't think the age of a new cat matters, partly because you don't know which cat's personality will speak to you and click with you.

But also, you can look into Legacy programs where a true no-kill shelter will work with you to ensure your cat is taken care of after your passing.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
E Eltoro I'm sorry for your loss ❣ it can bring some comfort when we know they've lived a full life.

The reality is we should all have contingency plans for our pets regardless of our age. Having a friend or family member willing to take them, or at least knowing that your adoption agency would take them back if something were to happen.

Older cats can be great too. Their personalities are established, and you can find a good fit for your home that way. My younger brother adopted an older cat from a hoarding situation and it really has been the perfect fit for him.

Fosters really know the cats they care for and I encourage you just to talk to a few and see what cat you end up falling in love with. ❣

Mighty Orange

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Snewguy was an adorable kitty. I'm sorry for your loss. I'm currently 66 Years old and have adopted a 6-year-old bonded pair. That way, they tend to keep each other entertained when I work. I must admit, it did take about a year for them to get used to me, but they have never been a problem. Good luck on what every you decide to do. The bonded pair has helped me and my wife get through our loss of older multiple cats the past 3 years.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry for your loss of Snewguy. and happy at the same time your grief is turning to gratitude, as it should. Your wanting the companionship of another cat (or two :) ) would definitely help to distract you from your grief and give you some much-needed comfort. A will would write out all instructions for your little one, you would have to find a family member or someone trusted to carry out your wishes. It brings great piece of mind. You could have your possessions sold and the money used for a cat's care, or have any money in accounts used that way.
63 is NOT that old nowadays, you most likely have twenty years at least in front of you if you don't have bad problems now. I, myself would go for adoption, and worry about things later because cats are so very much a part of my sanity and happiness. Not kittens, although they definitely would keep you busy, they are SO much work, and older cats are often passed over in the adoption process.
Your Snewguy is at peace because she has your love. She will always be a part of your soul and taught you much about what it is to have the love of a cat. She would like nothing better than to have a new love right beside her own, helping it to grow even stronger and bigger. She will help you in your selection, I have a feeling you will know when you meet the right match. Please keep us informed of your decision! Take care........RIP dear Snewguy. You will never be forgotten, you will always have a secure place in a loving heart. May the good Lord bless and keep you. Until you meet again!
PS I always keep this quote in mind concerning cats....."Cats are not our whole life, they make our life whole."

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Rest you gentle, Snewguy, dream you deep. Your pawprints are on someone's heart forever.

I applaud you for giving this so much thought. I wish more people did. These are my thought...63 is no longer "old." IF you are in good health, and IF you live in an area of the world (our members come from all over) that offers good health care, you may well have another 20 years. Do you have family that would step up if you outlived a cat? Or perhaps younger friends? That also makes a difference. I am 70, and my cat is 15. I expect to outlive her, but should I not, a dear friend will give her a loving home...and will drive 450 miles to collect her! However, should I outlive her, my plan is to look for a cat in the 7-10 years old range, and give them the best old age possible. The older I get, the older the cat I will look for will be. But that's me. Again, at your age, if you are healthy and active, there is no reason not to look for a younger cat, so long as you have a "what if" plan in place.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Eltoro

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your kind words and friendly advice. I have started checking some of the local rescues via their websites, sad to see there is too many cats in need of homes. It will take a while a match or two, have not decided if I will again have a two cat family. I believe Snewguy was that "Once in a Lifetime" pet and I do not expect any other cat will ever replace her but I expect which ever cat i do find will be the last of my lifetime and I am looking forward to having new furry best friend or two.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
believe Snewguy was that "Once in a Lifetime" pet and I do not expect any other cat will ever replace her but I expect which ever cat i do find will be the last of my lifetime and I am looking forward to having new furry best friend or two.
We had a cat like Snewguy who we lost last fall. Then, we adopted an orange marmalade buddy a couple months ago, 8 years old or so, and he regularly makes us laugh 🥰