Two Cats Saw the Vet Tonight: One Diagnosed with FIP, the Other with Cancer; Need Advice on FIP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm so sorry. I can tell you that the B12 is often used as an appetite stimulant, and that the steroids usually boost appetite too (though obviously their main purpose is to reduce inflammation).

All you can do is give the best care you can, and listen to him. He'll tell you when it's time.

It might be worth finding out if your vet will do a home visit to euthanise. I know mine does, and it helps the cat have a truly peaceful end. :hugs:

mphscat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That I believe is a question for the vet.  Is he eating?  You might also ask about giving them some clear Pedialyte like for kids if called for...but I would ask your vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meeyow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry. I can tell you that the B12 is often used as an appetite stimulant, and that the steroids usually boost appetite too (though obviously their main purpose is to reduce inflammation).

All you can do is give the best care you can, and listen to him. He'll tell you when it's time.

It might be worth finding out if your vet will do a home visit to euthanise. I know mine does, and it helps the cat have a truly peaceful end.
I'll look into it, thank you.

That I believe is a question for the vet.  Is he eating?  You might also ask about giving them some clear Pedialyte like for kids if called for...but I would ask your vet.
Which question are you referring to?  He ate the first time I offered, but the second time (an hour later) he wasn't interested, so I mixed with water and gave it by syringe.  That was 2 hours ago and he's just not right.  He wants to lie down more since he first ate.  I just called the vet to see how often I'm to feed him; I'd ask, but he just said not more than a teaspoon at a time and never answered my question.  He's drinking fine, so not sure he'd need Pedialyte.

meeyow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Quick update:

FIP cat miraculously began eating Tuesday night and hasn't stopped!  His personality has returned and he's meowing and purring again.  He's been on a diuretic since Monday and this afternoon I finally noticed a decrease in belly fluid - it looks and feels smaller.

Other cat: the biopsy results show NO cancer!  He was diagnosed with Moderate Chronic Active Ulcerative Fibrosine Gingivitis; the vet doesn't know what caused it to grow in the space where his tooth had been prior to it being pulled in February. I'm to keep an eye on him and if nothing changes we can leave it alone, but if it starts to interfere with his eating, then we can remove it.

mphscat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh honey that is WONDERFUL news! I am soooo happy for you are your fur babies!!!!!!

meeyow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh honey that is WONDERFUL news! I am soooo happy for you are your fur babies!!!!!!
Thank you.  Tuesday night I was sobbing and praying.  I held him for what I thought was the last time; I decided that I couldn't continue to force feed him if he had no interest in eating on his own (that day he ate nothing on his own).  A few hours later he started eating and just kept eating quite a bit in a short time.  He's slowed down a bit, but I think he needed to eat that much to recover from not eating enough.  His personality is back and he comes to meet me at my desk, jumping on his cat tower that's beside me.  He's also meowing and purring, two things he hadn't done on Tuesday before he began eating again.  This truly was a miracle.  I don't know what tomorrow brings, but today I'm just pleased that he wants to live and is making progress.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow, such great news! I am glad the fluid is reduced too. Another great thing is the other kitty doesn't have cancer. I am very happy for you and for them. Please keep us posted on them.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Such wonderful news!

And one thing?  If it is FIP that he has, it's not contagious and no need to quarantine.

meeyow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Fantastic news.
I hope both cats continue to so well
Thank you.
That is great...keep us in the loop !!
Thank you and I will.

Wow, such great news! I am glad the fluid is reduced too. Another great thing is the other kitty doesn't have cancer. I am very happy for you and for them. Please keep us posted on them.
Thank you - I will.

Such wonderful news!

And one thing?  If it is FIP that he has, it's not contagious and no need to quarantine.
Thank you.  I received conflicting information on it.  I asked the first vet I saw if it was contagious and he explained that it was a funny or odd disease and then went on to talk about FIV telling me, "It's AIDs," which I already knew.  I guess he was trying to say that cats with healthy immune systems have a hard time getting FIP, but I could be wrong.  I forgot all what he said, but he never said to separated him.   The second vet didn't say anything about it - it was two of the girls who work in the front.  I had already read that by the time they showed symptoms, they were no longer contagious.

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you.  I received conflicting information on it.  I asked the first vet I saw if it was contagious and he explained that it was a funny or odd disease and then went on to talk about FIV telling me, "It's AIDs," which I already knew.  I guess he was trying to say that cats with healthy immune systems have a hard time getting FIP, but I could be wrong.  I forgot all what he said, but he never said to separated him.   The second vet didn't say anything about it - it was two of the girls who work in the front.  I had already read that by the time they showed symptoms, they were no longer contagious.
When Darcy first got FIP, I totally freaked out feeling like my other cat would be getting it too.  I had a lot of reassurances from the vets and also from what I read online.  The virus that it mutates from is contagious, but it's much after the symptoms of the virus are gone that it mutates into FIV. And it doesn't mutate in every cat who is exposed to it.  Based on that information, I didn't isolate Darcy, and 6+ months later, Swanie is fine.  We even have another cat in here now, and she is fine as well. I don't think the shelter would have let us adopt another cat if she would have been in any danger.

meeyow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He just urinated in front of the box, but far enough from it for it to be deliberate.  The urine was orange - not a good sign; I just gave him water by syringe squirted into his mouth.  He's been eating, just not as well.    I can see a slight change in his personality.

meeyow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just back from the vet.

- Temp is down slightly from 105.something to 104.something. Needs to be around 100. He received another non-steroidal anti-inflammatory shot for fever; those are good for 2 days. His fever is probably responsible for his decrease in appetite.  I offered him food when we got home and he ate a little.
- He's not dehydrated.  Vet said usually when they are it's dark yellow.  The orange could be due to his anemia or a sign of liver problems. Vet couldn't get any urine to test.  They worked his very small bladder, but nothing.  I could leave him one morning and let it build up if I want to test it.  At this point, if it's liver there's nothing this vet can do, so I'm not in a hurry to test that.  My holistic vet can do the liver stuff, but she can't see him anytime soon.

- He had about a 1.5 lb weight loss since he was weighed last Monday.  The vet said fluid weighs a lot and it's clear he's lost quite a bit of it from his tummy (so that's good). His weight is within a few ounces of what it was when he had his very first vet visit in January.  He was underweight then, but at least I know he hasn't dropped too much.
- He got another B12 shot which can be given weekly.
- His body language is still really good, a sign that he's not in distress (the vet agreed).  He grooms himself and last night after I saw the orange urine, he stretched out across the chair, showing his tummy.  Usually, they tuck their paws  under them and sit up when they don't feel well.

- I misunderstood the diagnosis in January; he's not FIV+, he's FLV+ (leukemia).  I was so distraught at the time, which explains it.  Now I have something new to worry about since my other two have been exposed.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:hugs: and mega :vibes: I'm so sorry he's not doing so well. Really good that he's happy in himself though. I really hope your other two are ok :cross:

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, okay, glad to hear he is still himself and not feeling too poorly. I am sorry he has FeLV. I am pretty sure as long as he doesn't get into any fights that result in bites, he should not transmit it. I am not certain about this. I get confused myself with FIV and FeLv.

meeyow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He had dark urine again last night, so today he had urine and blood work done.  Basically, it's his liver.  Here are my rough notes I jotted down while on the phone with the vet:

urinary tract infecton (moderate) - he's already on an antibiotic

bilirubin, lots of protein which can mean kidney disease, but not necessarily kidney failure

high glucose but not diabetes (probably from being stressed)

BUN good (kidney function)

high total bilirubin 0.90 mg/dl (normal .1 - .3) - possible liver disease/hepatic lipidosis or some other infection

white blood cell count normal

hematocrit - low, anemia 19.8 (normal is 28-55) - anemia from blood loss or bone marrow suppression (associated with FLV)

platelet count low (blood clotting)

I called to schedule an appointment with my homeopathic vet and the soonest available was 6/25. I asked to be put on a waiting list and less than 20 minutes later she called to say it must be my lucky day, because a cancellation just occurred!  We see the vet on Friday of this week.

This is my 3rd experience with liver problems, but I never saw dark urine with the other two.  Of course, neither of them left urine on the floor for me to see, so they could have had dark urine.  The difference I see is that he is feeling better and eating; those other two quit eating, but did return to eating when I found something they could handle (they were vomiting, but this one hasn't vomited).  BTW the other two were successfully treated (for the liver problems) by my homeopathic vet; I don't have the old lab results from the other two to see how this one compares to those two.

mphscat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Prayers and good vibes to you! Please let us know how it goes!!

meeyow

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you all for your encouragement and help during my cat's brief illness.  Sadly, I had to put him down two Fridays ago - just one week after the visit with the holistic vet.  He took a quick turn and when I woke up 3 hours after going to bed, he was on his side breathing so heavily; he was unable to walk.  It was awful and I felt so bad.  I miss him so much.

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very sorry to hear of this. May he rest in peace. Run free sweet kitty. You let him go, you set him free, that's the best thing you could done for him. Please try to not feel guilty about it. It is very hard but it was for the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.