two cats, only one aggressive

telnaga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
we've had Pretty Boy, a sweet mellow older guy, for two years now. Around 6? months or so ago we took in Tikka, who's a very energetic and flighty younger girl. They took a long, long, long time making any progress on getting along. We've been keeping them in separate rooms this whole time (swapping the rooms often), aside from feeding together and occasionally letting out with supervision. There's been some progress - less immediate aggression, and Pretty Boy especially has entirely stopped caring about hostility. he used to focus on her and try to chase her - though he never directly instigated violence, always running up and just stopping near her, it wasn't exactly reassuring behavior to Tikka who would lash out and cause a two-way tumble.

but now he doesn't even do that. he's extremely chill around her. he wants to just get along. when he sees her, he just stays where he is and barely pays attention to her. but Tikka has gone entirely on the offensive. she always seeks him out in a room, even if he's just sleeping up on the windowsill - in that case she just sneaks up behind him, sniffs him a bit, gives an angry meow and leaves. but if he's awake and on the floor with her, she lurks behind a corner, and ambushes him. she's not using her claws at all, just batting at him, but it's extremely mean, especially since Pretty Boy isn't fighting back at all at this point. he just recoils and looks annoyed and dismayed.

we're probably going to scale back how often we have them out together outside of feeding, though it's a little difficult because Tikka is good at darting through open doors, squirming violently out of being held, and getting into places we can't grab her in. lately when she's attacked him out in the living room, I put her back in the bedroom. It's a mild punishment, but do you think it translates? she definitely likes being in the living room a lot.

but anyway generally what can I do about this? there's been a lot of progress made but it's been so slow and now it's so entirely one-sided. we feed them together, I give them treats when they're near/see each other (though Tikka refuses to eat treats when he's around, so... it's mostly been to PB's benefit...) I try and distract them with play or affection, etc etc. everything's only really been effective for PB. what do I do to get Tikka to chill? sometimes I can distract her with catnip, which gets her more playful and less hostile.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If Tikka is relatively young, her behavior could be more 'playing' than trying to fight. Nonetheless, what you are doing is probably the best thing - but, with a couple of tweaks. When she corners PB and it appears to be causing issues with him, pick her up, either tell her a firm 'No' or hiss in her face (pick one and stick with it), and then place her in a time-out - no more than a minute or two, or it loses its impact if she is isolated too long (as in she forgets why she was put into a time-out). The key to this is doing it each and every time, for consistency, so that she eventually understands that she will be removed from the area if she bugs PB.

If you can intervene before she actually corners him, you can then try using kickeroo toys to toss her way and see is she will go after those instead of PB.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
FeebysOwner FeebysOwner gave you, essentiaIIy, the advice that I wouId have. And, aIong with her, I do not think this sounds Iike actuaI agression. Tikka is not being "mean." She wants to interact, but he doesn't. "Mean" wouId be fuII-out, cIaws and teeth. You have to remember that aII pIay in cats is practice for hunting. If her cIaws are not out, she's aImost certainIy trying to pIay with an oIder cat who simpIy is not interested. DO use the technique that FeebysOwner suggested. AdditionaIIy, try giving your girI a few sessions a day with a wand toy, to siphon off some of that need to hunt! BE the prey animaI/bird! FIy, and fIutter, up, down, and around! And make sure that she catches and "kiIIs" her prey severaI times! Do this untiI she's tired out and panting, Iet her rest a coupIe of minutes, then go at it again.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I'm thinking, along with helping her with filling the need to hunt, wearing her out a bit with play as described so the need to expend pent-up energy is eased, is a great benefit too.

Also, have you considered clicker training?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

telnaga

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Tikka's around a year and a half or two years, I think - so an adult, just a youngish one (especially compared to pretty boy). while she's not using her claws or aiming to hurt or anything, I'm pretty sure it's still some level of aggression, because she yowls and hisses. She'll jump at him when he's just trying to get past her in a hallway, or when he's just sitting in a room and she's lurking behind a corner. when she DOESN'T attack, she still yowls a warning at him when he's nearby. I've been doing the "putting her away for a few minutes when she attacks" thing. It's a little hard to interfere when I see her getting in pouncing gear because she does it really quick, especially if Pretty Boy is (unaware) moving toward her. sometimes I can step inbetween them or put a toy inbetween them, and sometimes that works and Tikka breaks off, sometimes she just darts past it.
I play with her as much as I can, she can be very picky with play but I get a lot of energy out of her. She's pretty good at doing it herself, too, running around rooms and biting toys. But I'm never able to fully tire her out, really. I get tired before she does, or she gets bored before she gets tired, even when I switch things up.
I'm not sure, but it's always felt to me more like a territory thing. PB and Tikka were both strays in the past. I thought they felt threatened by each other. PB doesn't feel threatened anymore, even though Tikka does.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
YowIs and hissing can be a part of rough pIay. It is "The Hunt," after aII. However...when she vocaIizes, what is her body postition, how is she hoIding her ears? Can you possibIy get photos or, better yet, a video? Those are far more reIiabIe indicators than vocaIizations.