Tw: images of surgery incision site

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lyds

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Forgot to add, the surgery happened 2 days ago. Behavior isnt lethargic but I dont think she has been peeing much. No poop at all but that could be because the vet advised to only feed her 1/4-1/2 of her normal amount of food.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello, would anyone be able to say if my cat’s incision site looks healthy? For reference she got spayed, along with a deeper incision to remove some hairbands she swallowed in her stomach.
Forgot to add, the surgery happened 2 days ago. Behavior isnt lethargic but I dont think she has been peeing much. No poop at all but that could be because the vet advised to only feed her 1/4-1/2 of her normal amount of food.
Hi L lyds ...I don't have any experience with major surgery incision sites, only seeing spay and neuters sites.
I would probably send the photos to your Vet, when you can, just to get their okay, and reassurance.

But looking at your photos, the incision site looks very clean, with only a bit of blood towards the top.
As long as the site does not open too much, it will scab over, and then the scab will fall off, again, until it heals.
This scabbing and falling off will repeat over and over again.

Your Vet probably told you to look for he usual, as in no whitish or yellowish discharge, or oozing, no further openings, heat or redness at the site, trying to keep your cat from running or jumping, etc.

Did they also give your cat a cone to wear?

Can I ask you how they knew that your cat had swallowed some hairbands?
Did it show up on x-ray, or ultrasound?

With the no peeing much, that would be a bit concerning, unless she is still feeling the effects of the anesthesia...so I would definitely ask your Vet about this in the morning?
The non pooping could also be as you said, the smaller amounts of food, plus the anesthesia and pain meds given.
Do you also have to give your cat extra pain meds, at home?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lyds

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for the reply. Yes, she is currently wearing a cone. The vet had noticed a hard lump on her stomach when they were preparing her for spaying. I believe they scanned her to see (not sure which method). Yes I have to give her routine medicine (gabapentin and buprenorphine) for 3-5 days. Thanks again for the helpful reply, it put me more at ease! Will call the vet in the morning.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for the reply. Yes, she is currently wearing a cone. The vet had noticed a hard lump on her stomach when they were preparing her for spaying. I believe they scanned her to see (not sure which method). Yes I have to give her routine medicine (gabapentin and buprenorphine) for 3-5 days. Thanks again for the helpful reply, it put me more at ease! Will call the vet in the morning.
Sure, you might find that the pain meds will slow down her digestive system, a bit, so just ask your Vet about that, and if you need to give her anything to prevent constipation, or else just added wet can food, with added warm water.
She will probably start to eat more, when the pain meds wear off a bit, too.
If you could puree or blend, mush down her food, to make it easier for her to eat, then that may help, for the first few days.

If you have the time, would love to see a full photo of your cat, and tell us her name,...so we could send Extra Health Vibes to her.
(no pressure though, since I know that you must be so exhausted having a cat who is recovering from surgery.)

I'll be sending Extra Health Vibes anyway...for a speedy recovery. :vibes::vibes::tabbycat:
Good Luck...and keep us posted, too. :goodluck:

Docs Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My sister's young cat, Mr. Whiskers, went to the ER for urinary blockage.... the x-ray happened to show a large ball clump in his stomach !!!

They did an endoscopy and they removed a TON of the little black pony tail bands. I don't know why it didn't affect his eating?! He is 3 yrs old and has been fascinated with them since he was a kitten..... she kept accusing her little girl of losing her pony tail bands .......😳
All is well with Mr. Whiskers now. I just had to share when you mentioned hair band removal.😉

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
My sister's young cat, Mr. Whiskers, went to the ER for urinary blockage.... the x-ray happened to show a large ball clump in his stomach !!!

They
did an endoscopy and they removed a TON of the little black pony tail bands. I don't know why it didn't affect his eating?! He is 3 yrs old and has been fascinated with them since he was a kitten..... she kept accusing her little girl of losing her pony tail bands .......😳
All is well with Mr. Whiskers now. I just had to share when you mentioned hair band removal.😉
That is fascinating Docs Mom Docs Mom ...and a little scary, too. :eek2: :agree: :clover:
So glad that Mr. Whiskers is all better now. :) :thumbsup:

Yeah, I could understand your sister accusing her little girl for losing all her pony tail bands,...and Mr. Whiskers casually walking away, while his little human friend gets all the blame.:gingercat: cats. :blush: :headshake: :catrub:
Cats are so cute, they can get away with a lot. :catlove:

(I remember when my cats were kittens and also liked to play with some hair bands,...I just remember them throwing them about and chasing them,...and the hair bands would usually end up under the sofa, bed, etc...
Now I think I better remember to put all of them away, and out of reach,...(even if my cats are now 7 yrs old...who knows what they think the little hair bands are for.)
Your story and L lyds ...has me thinking that's the best,...to make sure I don't drop them anywhere.

They should really come up with something like 'bitter apple' or 'citrus-like' spray...to put on our hair bands...to prevent our cats from touching them. Of course, not sure how that would affect our human hair, or heads, though. :dunno: :lol: :wink:
It would probably not work, and I don't think there is a 'human hair shampoo called 'bitter apple' either. :tongue: Apple, yes, bitter apple, no.
Oh, well, we just have to be super, super careful, of where we leave some small stuff, I guess. :crossfingers:

thanks so much for the kindness! View attachment 422139
her name is tokyo :)
Tokyo is adorable, L lyds . :lovecat2:
She is so, so cute. :loveeyes:

She does still look a little tired, slightly angry, or embarrassed for having to wear that dumb cone, but hopefully she will heal fast, and won't have to wear it for long.

I hope Tokyo has managed to go poop, now,...so that her digestive system is moving, and that she feels better and better. :greenpaw:

If you have to, just take some daily photos of the incision site, and keep a 'photo diary'...and that way when you Email your Vet, they can see the Progress, too.
Don't feel that you are bothering your Vet, either, with too many emails, questions, or photos, since after major surgery,...that is basically what they are there for.
Besides, we pay our Vets, and they should also practice 'good people skills' in communicating with their clients...humans and animals.

Thanks so much for the above photo, it's really good to see.
And if you want to post more photos of the incision scar, then don't hesitate either.
None of us, here, are vets, but it's okay to see, or hear, about any updates.

Mega Health Vibes Sent to your Tokyo...for fast Healing. :vibes::vibes::tabbycat: :hugs::grouphug::crossfingers::bluepaw::greenpaw:🙏

Last edited: