breamarie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm so glad that Tuxie is doing well!!!

Originally Posted by LDG

Tuxedo:

For comparison, Sheldon:
And these pictures just take my breath away- they are so beautiful! I love tuxedo babies

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Am really pleased to hear some positive news, you must be so relieved.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm posting this for Jalindal, but don't want to hijack Mackerel's thread.

Here is the thread I started when the vet told us there was little hope Tuxie would make it (13th of May, 2005, after batting anemia for over a year) : Please pray for Tuxie...it doesn't look like he's going to make it.

Here is the post in that thread where he turned the corner, and the vet was convinced a real miracle had happened: http://www.thecatsite.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=39

This was Tuxedo - 14 pounds, when he was transitioning from being outside to inside:

This is Tuxedo sick. I'm not sure how much he weighs here:

This is Tuxedo when he was being diagnosed, and had to have a bone marrow aspirate done to see if his bone marrow still worked (it was done on his hip. I'm not sure why his shoulder is shaved too, don't remember):

I don't know how much he weighs in this picture, but it's three weeks after the post in the thread above where he'd turned the corner. In THAT post, he'd gained 3 oz per day that week - he had gone from 6 lbs 5 ounces (he'd lost over 50% of his body weight) to 7 lbs 13 oz. And this pic was taken 3 weeks later - so he could easily already be 8/9 pounds here.

Same day - but notice how white his paw pads are:

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow, these pics give me real hope. :-) You said in my thread that Tuxie's RBc was down to 7? Mackerel's was at 8. Miracle babies, both of them.

He looks so healthy now. :-) When I first saw this thread I was really surprised because I'd associated anaemia with weightloss because of Mackerel... so Tuxie looking so healthy was very surprising.

I hope his little nose stays nice and pink.
Go Tuxie!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Yup, they really are miracle babies.
I can only credit vibes from around the world helping! Mack's increase in her red blood cell count is really encouraging! I don't know if you read any of the original thread, but basically an RBC below the mid-to-low teens isn't survivable for long, but upper teens is, so long as they mostly rest and you keep them eating (keep all their organs working), there's hope! Tux looks so good now because his real battle was from 2004 through 2005, though there have been plenty of ups and downs along the way, and we still have to monitor him pretty closely.

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It must be the vibes! XD I said as much to my vet when they gave me those blood test results that showed that she'd improved and he was... skeptical. :p But we know the truth, don't we!

The last blood test showed Mackerel at 17.4 and we'll do another on Friday, which will hopefully show another increase.
The membrane under her eye is still very white, but I think I'm going to ignore that because if it didn't show a change from 8 -> 17.4 I'm not sure it'll really reflect very accurately how her anaemia is... and I was just getting worked up about it! lol.

Does Tuxie have any other chronic health problems? It looks like Mackerel is going to have permanently decreased kidney function at this point in time (moar vibes please! Haha) but... hopefully the anaemia wont be something that she struggles with beyond this 'insult'/'event' whatever you want to call it.

Does Tuxie eat well on his own, or do you have to encourage him and pester (lol) him into eating?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh... and re: Tuxie, right now, he's eating like a pig.
The depo always boosts his appetite.
One of the signs that he's having an issue again is when his appetite goes off.

Tuxie doesn't have any other chronic health problems. His "only" problem is the ongoing fight with anemia. From everything, so far, in Mack's case, it seems to me like her anemia may be (or get) permanently resolved, but the ARF damaged her kidneys. With Tux, they never figured out what's causing his problem with anemia, but it's not affecting any of his organs, not long term.

When he was severly anemic and fighting it for those initial few years, his liver, spleen, and heart were enlarged. But once we got him out of the "danger" zone with the anemia, over time they went back to normal.

Mack's case is obviously different, because whatever happened, it appears to have damaged her kidneys ( ), but the anemia (hopefully) is temporary.

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Wow, Tuxie was a very sick baby back then, and I am glad he is doing so well with your care..... how can he not
. Believe in miracles!!!!!

jalindal

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Tuxie's certainly got his cross to bear with this anemia! But at least he has a great family to look after him and care for him with such vigilance and determination!!!

Yeah, you got me, I've been trying to draw a comparison between Tuxie's wonderful recovery and Mackerel's potential! Haha. I think the best case scenario with Mackerel is that the anemia is resolved completely
and her kidneys keep recovering to a point where she can survive on her own, maybe without medication.
She's making progress with her kidney numbers but it's very slow... so I guess hopefully that just keeps improving.

How many cats do you have? I'm not sure whether any of the ones on your profile have crossed over.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Laurie I am sorry I missed this thread before. Obviously Tuxie did okay without my added vibes, he and you have had plenty, and I agree TCS vibes do help, but I'm so glad to hear how well he's doing.

to you both.

pshaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Good morning, So good to hear how well Tuxie is doing.

I am at the start of the journey with my Bella just being diagnosed with the same symptoms.

Any advice you can give me will be much appreciated.

Regards

Pat

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, I'm so sorry! :hugs: It's a nail-biter to be sure. :(

How is she being treated currently? How often will you be taking her in to check on her hematocrit for now? Has she "officially" been diagnosed with Feline Hemoytic Anemia? What's her hematocrit now? And FeLV has been completely ruled out? Is there a problem with her white blood cell profile as well, or is it limited to her red blood cells?

:vibes: :vibes: :vibes: for you and Bella. :heart2:

Last edited:

pshaw

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi again, Just popping in to say Bella's blood is back to normal and she now weighs 3.6 kg. the vet is very please with her and has started to cut down her meds. the meds are starting to effect her liver so got to keep an eye on that but all in all she is so much better than before. I am so happy. Thank you so much for all your support and advice with this. I really appreciated it.

Kind regards

Pat xx

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
:woohoo: GREAT to hear she's doing so well!

I am so sorry to hear about her liver, but unlike kidneys, livers will repair themselves. So here are many vibes that she'll continue to do well on reduced medication - and in a much much much shorter time than Tuxie required, not need them at all!!!! :vibes: :vibes: :vibes: :vibes:

Thank you SO much for the update! I've been wondering about Bella and how things have been going. :rub: