Turtles....

pixietina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Vixen16

Hey Ive got another question...

How does the Water Heater thing work.. I got one with my fish tank (used) but im not sure if its broken or not...
Right now when I turn it on it gets really hot.. like untouchable hot... is that what its suppose to do or is mine broken??

-

And as for the Turtle Pic strange_wings posted...
I didnt know Turtles could be so acrobatic!!!
if its a general aqaurium heater it should have a notch on it too change the heat,... have you got a thermometer in the tank?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Not yet... I havnt got everything yet... I just wanted to se if I should buy a new heater or not.

Im not sure if the Temp Valve thingy helps at all... I couldnt touch it to se... is it suppose to get really hot?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Im not sure if the Temp Valve thingy helps at all... I couldnt touch it to se... is it suppose to get really hot?
That honestly does sound too hot. Maybe the temp control broke or some the of wiring is faulty now. Was it a cheaper brand?
If in doubt, and not wanting burns for yourself or your turtle, do some research on water heaters and get one that has a very good review. It's been so many years since I used one that I couldn't help you with what's available now.

Maybe make a separate thread asking about aquarium heater in this section or the lounge as the fish people may not check a turtle thread.

You may have to find a way to section off a water heater with some wire mesh to keep the turtle from messing with it, or as I've seen pictures of one person's turtle doing - laying on it. The water heater caused some shell deformities.

And more good news, another baby up today! 8 of 9 now.

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

That honestly does sound too hot. Maybe the temp control broke or some the of wiring is faulty now. Was it a cheaper brand?
If in doubt, and not wanting burns for yourself or your turtle, do some research on water heaters and get one that has a very good review. It's been so many years since I used one that I couldn't help you with what's available now.

Maybe make a separate thread asking about aquarium heater in this section or the lounge as the fish people may not check a turtle thread.

You may have to find a way to section off a water heater with some wire mesh to keep the turtle from messing with it, or as I've seen pictures of one person's turtle doing - laying on it. The water heater caused some shell deformities.

Im thinking about picking one up from Wal-Mart ((here))...
But im not sure how well it'll work.
I was also gonna hide it behind a fake Plant or somethin... you know so the turtle cant get to it but it'll still warm the water.

Im only filling my 20gal tank half way... so when I get my Heater should I get one that heats 10-15gal or 20-30gal.

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You have to keep water heaters submereged a certain depth in water depending on the heater or it'll wreck it. So, look closely at the heater you purchase comapred to how deep you plan to keep the water.

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

You have to keep water heaters submereged a certain depth in water depending on the heater or it'll wreck it. So, look closely at the heater you purchase comapred to how deep you plan to keep the water.

Any Heater I get is gonna be Submersible... even if I get the one from Wal-Mart. But if I do have to leave a piece sticking out than ill Suction-Cup it to the side of the Tank behind a Plant.

Oh and the Waters only gonna be about 6-7inches deep.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Any Heater I get is gonna be Submersible... even if I get the one from Wal-Mart. But if I do have to leave a piece sticking out than ill Suction-Cup it to the side of the Tank behind a Plant.
I think you misunderstood what she said. If it sticks out of the water it will ruin the heater. So you may not be able to put it in there vertically.

And a fake plant will not stop a turtle... you'll be lucky if it doesn't try to bite off pieces of it. It will try to rest or even climb on anything in the aquarium at some point.

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh oops maybe I did... hmmm... i didnt know that.

Ok what if I hid it under a rock or somethin?

Or what if I stuck it Horizontally right under his Dock? that way it still heats the water and he cant lay on it?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It won't do any good under a rock, you'd be heating more of the rock then the water or risk overheating the heater because the rock would hold the heat.

Just get a small piece of 1/4 inch wire mesh from someone, you would probably only need a 12"x12" piece (unless your heater is longer). A pair of wire cutters and a pair of needle nose pliers and you could make a mesh tube to go around the heater in just a few minutes. This will keep the turtle away from the heater and still allow water to flow around it.
The mesh is known by the name "hardware cloth" if you have to ask at a hardware store for it.

vixen16

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

It won't do any good under a rock, you'd be heating more of the rock then the water or risk overheating the heater because the rock would hold the heat.

Just get a small piece of 1/4 inch wire mesh from someone, you would probably only need a 12"x12" piece (unless your heater is longer). A pair of wire cutters and a pair of needle nose pliers and you could make a mesh tube to go around the heater in just a few minutes. This will keep the turtle away from the heater and still allow water to flow around it.
The mesh is known by the name "hardware cloth" if you have to ask at a hardware store for it.

Thanx!! ill look for it the next time we go to town!!

mom2raven

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I want a res too! I was reading on a turtle forum a sticky on the proper things you can feed them that they can eat feeder fish like goldfish or guppies. Do they really? I was thinking of having a tank set up appropriate for a turtle way before we actually get a turtle with a few fish in it. How big does a tank need to be for just 1 red eared slider turtle? Like I said, I would like a few fish, even if the turtle will not eat them I read that the fish will help keep the tank clean by eating the remainder of the turtles dropped food and some of his droppings. Would goldfish or guppies be better for that? I figured that guppies are smaller and therefore more likely to be eaten (that is just a guess on my part).

One other question, relating to cats and turtles. I know that turtles tend to carry samonilla and you have to be careful and wash your hands. What if your cat comes in contact, are they at risk and what should you do? Thanks.

going nova

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by mom2raven

I want a res too! I was reading on a turtle forum a sticky on the proper things you can feed them that they can eat feeder fish like goldfish or guppies. Do they really? I was thinking of having a tank set up appropriate for a turtle way before we actually get a turtle with a few fish in it. How big does a tank need to be for just 1 red eared slider turtle? Like I said, I would like a few fish, even if the turtle will not eat them I read that the fish will help keep the tank clean by eating the remainder of the turtles dropped food and some of his droppings. Would goldfish or guppies be better for that? I figured that guppies are smaller and therefore more likely to be eaten (that is just a guess on my part).

One other question, relating to cats and turtles. I know that turtles tend to carry samonilla and you have to be careful and wash your hands. What if your cat comes in contact, are they at risk and what should you do? Thanks.
I've heard that if the fish get too big, they will nip at the turtles. We have 2 RES, but they are my SOs and I don't really know much about them. Maybe someone else will know if this is true?

We haven't had problems with salmonella. Our cat doesn't really pay much attention to the turtles, and we don't let the turtles out of the aquarium.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Start over with the beginning of the turtle threads I linked and information. It will tell you how big your aquarium or chosen enclosure needs to be. Minimum is 10 gals for every 1 inch of turtle.

Legally sold turtles are 4 inches (federal law), so you would have to start off with a 40 gallon or larger. I strongly suggest you try to adopt! You will end up with a larger turtle (4-8 inches) but you will be doing a turtle and a reptile rescue a big favor. Believe it or not, reptile rescues have much more trouble then a cat or dog rescue does just because the care requirements cost so much.
-If you find a store selling hatchlings then they are breaking federal law - I suggest these stores be reported as most hatchlings are shipped there and sold when barely two weeks old, and of course most meet sad ends because they're too fragile to survive novice keepers mistakes. A bit like people selling or giving away kittens under 8 weeks old...

No fish or other cage mates that can be viewed as food. It will eventually happen even if you think they get along fine. Turtles are predators... and often scavengers, they will take a meal opportunity whenever they can. If you choose to get two turtles, do not get different sizes as the smaller turtle will be bullied and even injured. Don't mix species, it's just one more complication for the keeper.
Minnows and guppies can be used as feeder fish, goldfish are too fatty. Insects are another good choice - earthworms, nightcrawlers(cut up), crickets, superworms, silkworms, and roaches are preferred over mealworms or waxworms. Don't forget veggies, even if your turtle seems picky. You can make them eat properly - it just takes effort and being more stubborn then a turtle.

Please put a lid over your turtle's enclosure. Why worry about your cats getting sick when a lid can prevent the issue.
In general though, cats and dogs are less sensitive to bacteria than humans are - wash your hands and no licking your turtle.
As with all creatures, turtles can also carry parasites - pinworms, gardia, candida being more common ones. These can quickly make a turtle's health go downhill so having a proper herp vet (one that treats reptiles and amphibians) is a must.

You must research proper temperatures, UVB, food, and supplementing. A mistake in any of these areas can result in gross shell deformities or worse, death. (Just posted the other day on a reptile forum explaining that to a person who asked why their turtle got crusty eyes and died - of course the person didn't take the poor turtle to a vet when they knew it was sick.
)

Also, make sure your daughter knows this is a hands off pet. While turtles can be held occasionally, they really don't like it and never let them "air swim" - feet hang in the air. It's very upsetting to the turtle. Plan for a turtle that will eventually reach 8 inches to a foot in diameter. If you don't have a yard, a spare room, or won't have one where you can build a pen and pond in a few years, this is not the pet for you.

Expect to spend around $300 for the initial setup and turtle.

Any other questions? Most areas have been covered over and over, if not in the two threads I linked to then in a few others.