Turkish Van Look Alike?

ImaRobot

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've lurked here for a while but never signed up until now, so Hi!

I always thought my oldest, Moomoo, resembled a Turkish Van, mostly in the description of their traits but not so much the fur color. He's way too orange spotted to be considered one, but just the way their personality is described always seemed to link for me. I know he's not one as they're typically not just popping out of your average street cat like this young man did, but I've always been curious as to what he actually is. I do plan to get a genetics test eventually, though.

He's always been fond of water, and even knows how to turn the sinks on to play with it, and has a very soft single layered cashmere-like coat.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome! I'm not an expert in cat breeds, but what a gorgeous boy, -- they both are :heartshape:!

I just wanted to mention, is that a dryer sheet in the photo of both of them? You might consider switching to wool balls, they work quite well and are pet safe :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ImaRobot

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, and welcome! I'm not an expert in cat breeds, but what a gorgeous boy, -- they both are :heartshape:!

I just wanted to mention, is that a dryer sheet in the photo of both of them? You might consider switching to wool balls, they work quite well and are pet safe :)
Thank you! The Tabby was actually a stray I picked up about 3 years ago. It was perfect timing as I had just moved into my own place and Moomoo had to say goodbye to everyone he knew and grew up with for 4 years prior to that, so he was extremely lonely. He first took on the parent roll completely in less than a day of them meeting each other hardly any hisses, but now they're more like siblings.

Thanks for the tip and I'll look into that! I typically don't leave anything like that laying around but I was just done with laundry and threw it all on the bed to start sorting it out. Thing is, they bombard my clean clothes as soon as I dump them out and they end up hairy in the short amount of time it takes just to hang them up, but yeah those are thrown away very quickly afterwards.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Without papers and known parentage, nothing can be said.
But as you describe him, he could very well be an unregistered, pet quality Turkish Van.

Turkish vans abroad are often allowed more spots than the classical ones with the "van markings"...
I know in England they allow harlequine spotted TV...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ImaRobot

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Without papers and known parentage, nothing can be said.
But as you describe him, he could very well be an unregistered, pet quality Turkish Van.

Turkish vans abroad are often allowed more spots than the classical ones with the "van markings"...
I know in England they allow harlequine spotted TV...
That's interesting. I don't believe he is one, but was always surprised as the trait/personality resemblances were uncanny. He's very likely a Domestic Long Hair as I doubt there's any male Turkish Van roaming the streets of Los Angeles, California. He was part of a litter of 5 birthed from a Tortie that my brother was raising. Each kitten was so different in color, with not one being the same through the whole litter.

He's definitely a shedder though, especially in these warmer months.