Turkish Angora Mix?

turkangmix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Just wondering if my cat has a little Turkish angora in her. She is pictured above. She is completely deaf so we have to keep her inside.

She is little over a year old. We found her barely days old in a small village near Gdansk in Poland with her other sisters and mother (a European short hair). All the sister look different. We are unaware of who the father was as the cats were strays.

When we found her she was covered in weeds that stuck to her coat and could barely open her eyes. We took care of her and she has now prospered. She loves sleeping in all beds at night and yells extremely loud. She has learnt somehow, off who, I do not know. That when she yells she tilts her head back like a wolf howling and yodels with her voice. It is quite funny.

Sorry back to the main question. Is there a type of DNA test that we can get from a veterinary clinic to perform. I just wanted others' opinions of what they believe she is.

From other pictures I have seen, she is smaller than normal Turkish Angoras and the hair around her chest and cheeks are not as thick. She absolutely hates water as well and her back legs are much longer than the front legs. She almost has an air to her when she walks like she is royalty.

She is also very calm cat and likes to smell strangers that come to the apartment. She loves belly rubs and when she stares outside from the windows crows normally scare the crap out of her, that she will puff up and walk backwards in fear.

Some more pictures of her below.

Still a baby [emoji]128522[/emoji]

Mother and other sister

All sisters together

Most recent photo

Sleeping on couch

Waiting for food

Hope to hear from everyone soon. Cheers [emoji]128522[/emoji]

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm not seeing Turkish Angora in her, personally. I'm not a professional though, so my opinion doesn't really matter. I, too, think one of my cats is a Turkish Angora mix! Nonetheless, you have an absolutely adorable little kitty! Hopefully someone else can give some insight.

My Arthemis.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

turkangmix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Your arthemis is beautiful. We called our cat Cognac because when she was young her coat looked like cognac not full white and with time her coat changed to white.

So tired sleeping all day lol

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree, no real likeness to Angora, save the color.  A combination of genes!   It surprises me a little, she with two different colored eyes, is still totally deaf.  I mean, being wholly white gives sometimes deafness, but almost never with two differently colored eyes....

Tx a lot for helping this momma and her children - and giving this deaf girl a good home.   :)

coniferously

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thank you. Your arthemis is beautiful.
Thank you! Your Cognac is also very lovely! Such a cutie pie face.
Somehow Arthemis is not deaf though! At least.. not entirely. She can definitely hear us. How did you know Cognac was deaf?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

turkangmix

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I knew when we saw her we needed to take care of her. She was slightly malnourished with weeds sticking to her fur and at the time she was maybe a bit deaf. She was the first one that from the litter came up to us and was like yelling 'help!'.

I was only 100% she was deaf when we took her to the vet. The vet clapped very hard behind Cognac's head a couple of times and absolutely no reaction from Cognac. And sometimes I can be walking right behind her and pass her by with no reaction from her.

I remember with her sisters when they used to play with her they could easily sneak on her unless she turned her head around and saw them.

I think you are right in that she might be half or a quarter angora and the majority European shorthair.

When she was smaller, group nap [emoji]128564[/emoji]