Turkey and Pumpkin

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I got a turkey and wanted to cook and gave my cats the giblets but when I called and asked my vets about I was told no. I find that really strange and wonder if anyone else has heard better. (plus is was just the office lady not a vet that told it to me, she wouldn't ask them) She also told me that I shouldn't give them canned pumpkin because it will upset them. I tried to give my one cat some pumpkin anyways and he LOVES it. I didn't give him alot because I didn't know if it would make him sick or not but so far so good. I know there are some people that don't believe that cats should have more natural food, and I can't help but to feel that the office lady might be one of them.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They can eat the unseasoned giblets and the pumpkin. The pumpkin needs to be plain pumpkin not pie filling. That's what they cannot have because of all the spices. Plain pumpkin puree is fine for cats. It aids digestion and some like it a lot. Mine like it. Mine also eat plain cooked turkey and chicken all the time. They love it.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
I read somewhere that raw or poulty meat that is undercooked is not safe for cats as they may contain bacteria like salmonella.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Now I wish I wouldn't of tossed the giblets, oh well maybe next year. Kind of hard to go against what the vet place is telling you, maybe next time when I go to my vet I'll ask her in person and skip the office lady. At least I can still give him the pumpkin.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
A lot of vets just recommend prepared food because that is all that they are taught in veterinary school. Other vets are interested in nutrition, just like any other pet parent, and are supportive of raw and homemade diets.

The concern about the giblets is probably because cats require a balanced diet consisting of muscle meat, edible bones, and organ meats (giblets). A meal of 100% organ meats is going to be too rich in certain vitamins and might also upset your cat's tummy.

By all means, let the kitties have the giblets as treats over the course of several days, just not all at once. You can dry them in the oven at a very low temperature or just cook them the way you do for yourself.

Willow isn't big on veggies (unless I'm in the process of eating them) but plain pumpkin, as opposed to pumpkin pie filling, is on my dog's menu a lot for her sensitive tummy. It really helps and she loves it.

My Burmese used to get into cantaloupes if we didn't hide them from her, soYMMV a LOT when it comes to fruits and veggies.

I hope you and the cats all have a great Thanksgiving,

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Now I wish I wouldn't of tossed the giblets, oh well maybe next year. Kind of hard to go against what the vet place is telling you, maybe next time when I go to my vet I'll ask her in person and skip the office lady. At least I can still give him the pumpkin.
You can always give him some of the plain cooked meat. Mine adore it. They holler until they get their share. :lol:

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
Pumpkin is actually recommended by some for digestion problems in cats. I've used it many times over the years to help with diarrhea problems in my cats. Of course, as others have mentioned, it needs to be plain pumpkin, not the kind with pumpkin pie or other spices in it.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
LOL I did get the plain pumpkin can, I checked the ingredients and it says just pumpkin. I wish I could get my other cat to eat some but she is the pickiest thing I have ever seen and she puts her nose up at all "human" food. As for the giblets I was going to use it as a treat or alittle mixed in with their normal food but its to late now. But I will be saving this all for next round.
On the site where I learned about giving them pumpkin says 1 to 2 teaspoon every day or once to twice a week does that sound about right?

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
I got the cat food version of giblets for mine. I'm not sharing my own giblets with anyone. But I got them turkey with giblets and some freshpet chicken with pumpkin.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
LOL I did get the plain pumpkin can, I checked the ingredients and it says just pumpkin. I wish I could get my other cat to eat some but she is the pickiest thing I have ever seen and she puts her nose up at all "human" food. As for the giblets I was going to use it as a treat or alittle mixed in with their normal food but its to late now. But I will be saving this all for next round.
On the site where I learned about giving them pumpkin says 1 to 2 teaspoon every day or once to twice a week does that sound about right?
I use a teaspoon or half a teaspoon of plain pumpkin for one of my cats on most days. I also feed them completely raw homemade food which includes chicken and turkey livers, gizzards, and hearts. As long as there is no seasoning on the giblets they are a very nutritious and healthy meal. You might have to cut them up if your cats won't chew them. They are also great for their teeth though if they are willing to chew. Some people just feed giblets as treats for dental health. Gizzards are especially tough and chewy.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Try and wrestle giblets from me. haha Pepper never liked giblets and all. She was an unusual cat but I loved her all 23 years of her life. I'll have to fix some giblets for me and the cats sometime. But cats can eat raw giblets? Sorry for lame question.

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Try and wrestle giblets from me. haha Pepper never liked giblets and all. She was an unusual cat but I loved her all 23 years of her life. I'll have to fix some giblets for me and the cats sometime. But cats can eat raw giblets? Sorry for lame question.
Yep, cats can eat raw meat. They are obligate carnivores. Their entire physiology is set up for killing prey and tearing into raw meat, organs, and bones. In the wild they wouldn't be able to survive without raw meat because their physiology cannot properly process nutrients from plant matter. They have short and highly acidic digestive tracts that are able to handle bad bacteria that humans can't handle. In fact, most cats have salmonella already in their tummy.

solusumbra

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What other vegetables can they eat?

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
What other vegetables can they eat?
Cats don't need vegetables, really. It should make up no more than 10% of their overall diet, ideally closer to 5%. A little bit of soluble fiber has been found to be helpful for some cats that struggle with constipation, and that's why pumpkin is sometimes recommended (it feeds the gut bacteria). But other than that cats have no need for vegetables. They can't process them properly because they are carnivores.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, cats can eat raw meat. They are obligate carnivores. Their entire physiology is set up for killing prey and tearing into raw meat, organs, and bones. In the wild they wouldn't be able to survive without raw meat because their physiology cannot properly process nutrients from plant matter. They have short and highly acidic digestive tracts that are able to handle bad bacteria that humans can't handle. In fact, most cats have salmonella already in their tummy.
Thanks. I'll get some giblets for me and them then, although I'll cook my portion lol

Azazel

Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks. I'll get some giblets for me and them then, although I'll cook my portion lol
In some countries it is a delicacy for humans to eat raw liver and kidney. Usually that’s from red meat though. I wouldn’t advise that you do it :)

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If it makes you feel any better about not feeding the giblets to your cat, mine has no interest in raw liver or heart. Never tried gizzard with her, though. But these days, she's toothless so gizzard would probably be more effort than it's worth for her. I'd rather serve up some turkey sashimi for her--finely cut meat for the spoiled toothless princess. I don't give her more than a teaspoon of it. Just enough to distract her while I process the rest of the meat for her food and meat stock.

MoonstoneWolf

Cat Food Bowl Referee
Top Cat
Purraise
In some countries it is a delicacy for humans to eat raw liver and kidney. Usually that’s from red meat though. I wouldn’t advise that you do it :)
Yea. The cats can have ALL the liver they want, cooked or raw. But have to share with the gizzards and hearts.