Tuna yes or no????

tinykittee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
SO I am trying to find here threads on tuna and kittens/cat feeding and I found one but not really what I was looking for.
I learned from it... no tuna with SOY.
OK
..what about it otherwise?
I read at at the kittencare.com that tuna is good to use with weaning and so I been adding it to Kittee's Evo pate to help.

I have been reading reading so much I swear I read somewhere tuna is TOTALLY fine to feed your cats.
Maybe I need to get fresh tuna from the market?
I do feed raw/home made dog food to my dogs in combo with Orijen. I can/plan to do the same for Kittee.

I digress...LOL....TUNA is what I am wondering about?
yay or nay

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're going to use human grade tuna, the "gourmet" stuff (many brands use gold cans) has less ingredients. Usually just tuna and water.

But your best bet, if you wish to provide a tuna treat, is to just use a good quality canned cat food that is tuna. iirc, solid gold has a tuna?

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm the one who found the tuna article with the soy.

I won't feed any kind of tuna to my cats (not just cause of the article). I've never been a fan of feeding cats tuna.

1. Tuna is addicting and many cats who are fed tuna will refuse to eat other meats. Eating one kind of food can cause long term health problems.

2. Tuna can cause some cats to have more problems with UTI's (especially males).

3. I never feed my kittens tuna - they are started on chicken or lamb and then beef later. I've had people tell me (who bought my Rexes) - why doesn't my cat like fish? I tell them that they never had it and they really don't eat it.

cosabella

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For the reasons that GoldenKitty listed, I limit my cat's consumption of fish. However, from time to time, I do give him tuna and shrimp as a snack. With tuna, I buy Tiki Cat's Ahi tuna. It looks like human grade tuna. Shrimp I just give him raw.

anita1216

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We dont feed any kind of fish here either. I have never given our cats tuna and we have one here who wont even touch dry kibble if fish is a main ingrediant.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinykittee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone for your info.
I ditched the tuna and went with boiled hamburger to help wean her and changed foods from EVO to Taste of the Wild.
She is doing well!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tinykittee

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
or you know I did do chicken first like you suggested Golden Kitty..then I did some boiled hamburg....I have mama mush brains tonight..LOL..

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm another who votes no tuna for cats.

However for those who do like to give their cats human tuna for an occasional treat, do not feed albacore. Albacore are bottom feeders and as a result ingest more metals (mercury)

Canned white meat chicken breast is a safer healthier human food treat. The kind with no spices (esp garlic and onion) added.

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As has been said, due to a variety of factors - including toxins and histamines - fish shouldnâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]t make up more than a very small percentage of your catâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s diet. If you want to feed some type of fish as a treat every now and then, however, sardines make a good choice and are among the safest to offer.

They grow to adult size quickly, live only six or seven years, and eat mostly plants, all of which limits their exposure to PCBs, mercury and other heavy metals and toxins. Feed only wild-caught - which is often done in a sustainable manner - not farm-raised, to avoid antibiotics, and make sure they are packed in water with no added salt.

Sardines are full of Omega 3 fatty acids, which makes them an especially good contribution to a catâ€[emoji]8482[/emoji]s diet (in limited quantities, of course
). I feed 3/4 of a sardine to every cat once a week.

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Jake doesn't get any fish- he eats turkey, lamb and chicken mostly. After reading about a few issues with fish foods people discussed on here I decided not to feed mainly fish. I've given him fish before as a treat and he didn't even seem all that enthusiastic about eating it. He starts purring as soon as a can is being opened, but as soon as he smelled the fish he had a few licks and didnt' want any more.
When he was being weaned he ate fish, it was actually fancy feast entrees, and it took him a couple of days to realize that he should bite into it and chew it
At first he just walked around it smelling it like crazy and purring ...
After a few weeks I switched him to a higher quality food.