Tumor of jaw

tinkerbell632

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 15 yr old cat.  She began to drool at times and then her eye started protruding.  The vet says she had a tumor of the jaw and a draining abscess.  He cleaned her teeth and drained the abscess. He also put her on an antibiotic. He said the eye problem was from the pressure of the tumor and hoped the antibiotic would help. Her eye started protruding more and she cannot close it completely. I took her to the vet again and the oral discharge was worse. He put her on another antibiotic. I got a second opinion from another vet and they both agree that the tumor cannot be removed. They say her eye can be removed but will only delay the inevitable. They did not think that more antibiotic would be very helpful. She continues to eat well and does not indicate that she has any pain.  The protruding eye is very difficult to look at and I have been caring for her like a baby, but I don't know what to do. Is there anymore helpful advice?

mnm

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
aww... I'm so sorry you are going through this with her. It's a decision that is rough for sure... now is where you have to definitely think of her status and quality of life... and only you know that answer :) I pray you find peace in any decision you need to make.

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I am so sorry your kitty is going through this.  A steroid might help give her a little more good time but it's not a cure.