Tummy troubles

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I posted on here a few days ago about my cat getting constipation after getting pain.med(buprinorphine), not eating, stress from vet. She received an enema last Friday and was on laxatives (lactulose, miralax) up.until Sunday evening. She has been popping every day sometimes twice a day since Sunday night. At first it was cowpie like and loose. I thought things were getting more normal because she had a formed but really soft poop yesterday. Now today she had some really soft formed turds and another cowpie. She had another cowpie about an hour later and was vocal in the litter box. I saw loose poop in her fur and I tried to help clean her but she wouldn't let me. After that she was scooting on the floor. I know her butt is probably sore. Is this normal not to have normal stools yet this far from enema and laxatives?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Several times when our cat was on Burprenex he would also get slightly constipated but I waited until it was out of his system. Fortunately everything returned to normal. You know your cat best so this may not have worked for you. I thought these threads about what to do for loose poops might be helpful and offer some advice:
Help for chronic loose stools, Diarrhea for cats
Intermittent Diarrhea

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Several times when our cat was on Burprenex he would also get slightly constipated but I waited until it was out of his system. Fortunately everything returned to normal. You know your cat best so this may not have worked for you. I thought these threads about what to do for loose poops might be helpful and offer some advice:
Help for chronic loose stools, Diarrhea for cats
Intermittent Diarrhea
I just spoke with vet tech. They are recommending go fiber response food by royal cabin and some diagel. Does anybody have experience with this food or the diagel?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Elvisrocks

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
mod note: this post is merged from another thread:

She received laxatives (lactulose and miralax ) until Sunday evening. She has had some formed very soft poops and some cowpie loose poops. She's been not wanting to move around alot whether due to the tummy problems or something else(we originally brought her in for a limp although the limp almost gone). The vet just recommended gi fiber response by royal canin dry food. We tried a wet food high fiber by hills but she wouldn't touch it. Also they recommended a dose of diagel. We don't want to stop her up again but we don't want her to have diarrhea either. Does anyone have experience with this food or diagel? Kind of at a loss. She seemed more herself this morning then had diarrhea and now not wanting to do anything again. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I know quite a few people have used both with success, but the fiber response is more for long term bowel issues. The diagel is used for diarrhea is far as I know. Seems to work very well in most cases

I think the issues with your little one may have been if you were using Lactulose AND Miralax together. Both of those pretty much do the same thing, so if used together, that's pretty much a double whammy to the system. I'm thinking it could very well still be the issue from Sunday!