Tummy Issues…food related?

Spshaffer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
My 2 year old cat Henry started having horrible diarrhea a few weeks ago. He’d also vomit before or after having diarrhea. And then he would scoot his bottom everywhere. I had just got a new case of wet food that had not been in stock for a long time. This diarrhea started a day and a half after starting the new food. Took him to the vet just to check him out. They found nothing wrong and decided to wait to do diagnostics on him until after a round of antibiotics and probiotics. So he started on that and was fine. My other cat Bernice had the same issues a day after Henry did so I assume it was the food. Anyway, antibiotics stopped about 5 days ago and the probiotic 1 day ago. Well, Henry is having the same issue again. I called vet and we are continuing with the probiotic. Should I spend the money on the diagnostic tests or wait and see?
Everything else seems fine. He’s still eating and drinking fine. Thanks for any help!

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
What food are you feeding him? Fish is a likely allergin so I stay away from it besides other reasons. Some cats cannot handle too much carbs. Others can.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You stopped the food which was suspect? It does sound like a food issue to me, but if this continues I would go ahead with the diagnostics. You might give the probiotic a little bit more time, but if you see serious diarrhea or vomiting as prompted the first vet visit, don't wait.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This sounds very much like a food issue to me. Do you have any saccharomyces boulardii? It's a great probiotic to help firm up stools. Add 1/4 to 1/2 capsule to wet food twice a day.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Spshaffer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
What food are you feeding him? Fish is a likely allergin so I stay away from it besides other reasons. Some cats cannot handle too much carbs. Others can.
I wondered if fish might be an issue for him. I will try cutting that out to see how it goes.

Spshaffer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You stopped the food which was suspect? It does sound like a food issue to me, but if this continues I would go ahead with the diagnostics. You might give the probiotic a little bit more time, but if you see serious diarrhea or vomiting as prompted the first vet visit, don't wait.
Yes, I did stop the suspected food.

Spshaffer

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This sounds very much like a food issue to me. Do you have any saccharomyces boulardii? It's a great probiotic to help firm up stools. Add 1/4 to 1/2 capsule to wet food twice a day.
I’ve been using FortiFlora by purina. He loves the flavor and it seems to work well until I stopped using it.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
FortiFlora isn't a very food probiotic to use. The CFU count is very low and there's just one bacteria strain. The animal digest is so irrestible to many cats that sometimes they will start to refuse to eat anything at all unless there is FortiFlora on top. Not what you want.

You can use any pet specific probiotic or even a Human probiotic. Human probiotics come in a wide range of CFU counts. Start with something low-ish like 10 billion CFU to start.