Tuesday, February 26, Question of the day!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I drink my morning coffee and a diet Mt Dew in the afternoon; sometimes it's a can of Dew, sometimes it's a bottle. I try to drink more water, but most days, I don't drink nearly enough.

For the most part, I can't drink a glass of water in the morning before I eat something; it makes me physically ill. Even if it's just a bite or two of toast, then I'm good to go. And then it must be ice cold from the fridge with plenty of crushed ice.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Definitely a water drinker..... or a water 'grazer'... I drink little bits constantly throughout the day.  It's summer here, so I put iced water in a mini thermos so I have nice cool water all the time.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I definitely don't drink as much water as I should and when I do, it's often sparkling water.

dejolane

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I buy 3 cases of water each month at Aldi for $ 2.29 a case and when they run out we refill them with tap water in the same bottles till the next month. Since we moved last August the water here is alot better.

dejolane

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
The bit about coffee having a diuretic effect has been refuted, provided you don't drink it in excess:
Caffeine: Is it dehydrating or not?
Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. This means that you would urinate more after drinking them, which could increase your risk of becoming dehydrated. Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine has a diuretic effect only if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (the equivalent of 5 to 7 cups of coffee) a day.
Is caffeine a diuretic?
Back in 1928, caffeine was shown to have no significant impact on urinary output. Subsequent studies have shown that caffeine-containing beverages did not impact urinary output any differently than other beverages. Based on this, the Institute of Medicine recommends that "unless additional evidence becomes available indicating cumulative total water deficits in individuals with habitual intakes of significant amounts of caffeine, caffeinated beverages appear to contribute to the daily total water intake similar to that contributed by noncaffeinated beverages."
I drink a lot of coffee, tea and tap water as well as bottled mineral water, so I definitely get enough fluids.

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We drink a fair amount of water, coffee in the morning and sometimes in the evening. Don't drink as much soda as we used to. Paul drinks more soda than I do. We buy cases of bottled water and keep a few bottles in the fridge. I always take a bottle to bed at night and leave it on the nightstand. But I just couldn't do without nice fresh water - our tap water is horrible, so we have to depend on the bottled water. Paul's diabetes/kidney dr emphased the importance of water also.

larussa

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I

For the most part, I can't drink a glass of water in the morning before I eat something; it makes me physically ill.
I agree.  One morning around 2 or 3am, I woke up so thirsty that I drank a glass of cold water from the fridge and regretted it.  I felt so sick to my stomach.  I do drink a lot of something called Wyler's Light, it's just like Crystal Light but much cheaper and tastes just as good.  I've been drinking a  lot of that instead of soda and it has no sugar.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I drink enough fluids each day.  Since the summer last year until a few weeks ago I was rationing my fluids during the day at work because I was having such horrid bladder pain. Now that I found out what was wrong and am on medication for it, I now drink more fluids during the day at work.  I drink about 2 litres of water per day, in addition to a couple cups of herbal white tea.

When I'm at home I remind myself to drink simply by keeping a glass in the bathroom and every time I go in there for anything, I drink a glass of water.

Last edited: