Trying to understand this hooligan

samuel medina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok, so... Snickers follows me around, and if I leave the house, she's at the door when I get back. She likes to sleep near me, too, after kneading the blanket for a while. Yet she still tries to bite me for no apparent reason. For example, she's on the ottman next to me, seemingly asleep on her back. I look over and her head has inched its way under my elbow, and her mouth is opening, poised for a sneaky bite.

I calmly asked her 'What are you doing? Are you being bad?' and she repositions herself.

When I ate a cookie, she put her paw on my arm, claws extended. She didn't try to scratch, but did push a bit.

She gets plenty of food and playtime 3 times a day (usually the laser pointer or a string I drag around for her to pounce on).

I can't tell if she likes me and is kinda bad, or if she thinks she's in charge.

Last edited:

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello Samuel Medina, Snickers is just very attached to you. She likes being closed to you. That's why she follows you around. It does not matter if she's getting plenty of food and have playtime 3 times a day. It's is just her that she wants to be with you. Anyway, 3 times a day of playtime is not enough.
As when you are having a cookie, she is just being inquisitive and pawing you to let her sniff the cookie. So you just let her sniff but not eat and smell will do and move the cookie away. After some time, she'll leave you alone. So anytime you eat or doing something or hold something in your hands, just let her inspect it.
She is not s bad kitty, just at times let her be in charge but you are in control. This way it'll safely satisfy her inquisitiveness ;)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

samuel medina

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your input. I unintentionally gave her a bad scare yesterday when she went for a bite and startled me. So for a few hours she'd still follow me around, but if I moved toward her, she'd put her ears back and scamper off. She seems to have calmed down, gave me some head bops today and her whole tail was up and vibrating when I came into the kitchen.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Yea, guess that your kitty is a loving kitty. After the unintentional scare you gave her and though she pulled back her ears and scampered off, she was just being cautious. And after that she was already giving you head bobs and her tail was up.
So try not to scare her again and don't shake her confidence and trust that she have in you.