Trying to trap two feral kittens

xkramer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am trying to trap two kittens who are living in the landscaping next to the Jack in the Box drive-through, of all weird places. I went through the drive-through Monday night, caught a glimpse of one, and thought, "What the H***?" I went back to JitB the next morning and talked to one of the women who works there. She said someone dumped them there about four months ago. She's been feeding and watering them, but can't approach them. I went home and got my humane trap.

Yesterday morning, I found the trap had sprung and had somehow fallen or been knocked down the hillside. I re-positioned it into what I thought was a more secure spot. Same thing this morning, and someone had eaten most of the food. I find it hard to believe that those little kittens knocked that trap down the hill. I'm worried that some larger, trap-wise animal is getting in there, and I have no chance of getting the kittens at all. Any advice?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!

Can you try tuna, Kentucky fried chicken and Buddig ham to entice them to the nth degree, and you need to spend some time watching the trap.

You should anyway, trapped kittens are very vulnerable, and you really don't want them spending hours in a trap, even more so since you don't know what's knocking your trap around.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xkramer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'll give those a go! I had been considering a stakeout; so I will try it.

I have been checking the trap multiple times a day, and I left my cell phone number with the Jack in the Box folks. Their drive-through is open 24 hours, and the trap is in clear view of their service window. So hopefully the kittens won't be stuck for hours.I want to get them to the vet right away - but I have to get them first!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are very kind to try to trap them in a place with some complications like this...and the manager at least fed them since their dumping....but I agree that you will have to really monitor the trap as much as possible. You might work....I realize that...and can't devote all day to sitting near a trap but consider if there is a good time of day to try to trap when it is easier for you to monitor. Ask the manager not to feed them right before so that they go for your bait. KFC has always been best for me.

wingwalker

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Set up a game camera (hide it in the bushes facing your trap or feeding station to get more information. In my experience (several years of TNR) there are always more cats than you expect. A game camera will show you what is going on when no one is watching.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xkramer

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just wanted to share a picture of my two rescues. The gray tabby is Giuseppe and the tabby-point Siamese is Hansel. The orange tabby is Rufinus. He was born feral -- I trapped him in my backyard six years ago now!
IMG_20201112_132218.jpg