Trying To Teach My Kitty To Go On A Leash

Horraira

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So Ive tried once before to train my cat to wear a harness and she hated it. Ive decided to read Adventure Cats by Laura J. Moss to help out with this, but any additional info or stories are welcome!

My kitty always shrugged it off or wiggled out of it when I put it on. What can you recommend for me to try to get my kitty to like the harness?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I'd suggest to first just leave the harness around the house so that Horraira can get used to the scent. Then try to put it on her just inside (no leash attached), when she's feeling comfortable you can then progress to walking her around the house before trying to go outside. If you can't get kitty used to just wearing the harness, some cats prefer this style: Cats who hate harnesses LOVE the Kitty Holster cat harness! Walk your cat!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Horraira

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have Horraira registered as an ESA, so a harness that has that label on there already would be great. I like the idea of the Holster harness...I wonder if that comes in ESA too?

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
I have Horraira registered as an ESA, so a harness that has that label on there already would be great. I like the idea of the Holster harness...I wonder if that comes in ESA too?
Maybe you could sew the ESA label into the holster?

Horraira

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe you could sew the ESA label into the holster?
Probably will have to do that. Ive put in a question to the holster folks to see if they could do a custom one just for ESA's.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Probably will have to do that. Ive put in a question to the holster folks to see if they could do a custom one just for ESA's.
Let me know how it works out!

MeganLLB

Accidental Ailurophile
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat loves to be outside. Once she learned that the harness means she goes outside, she sits by her harness and meows. Does your cat like being outside? I've had others that are terrified of outdoors.

See if she will just walk around in the house first and get comfortable walking in it.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It does take patience and consistency to train a cat to use the harness. However, even knowing that, I had to try three different harnesses with my cat (even the jacket types of harnesses) -- until we eventually ended up with a trained cat but one that would only take walks using a leash and collar (no harness). sigh. Go figure.
Good luck! Patience is the key!

krystalp

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've just started leash training one of my cats (the other is much to scared!). But Tommy has taken well to it once he realizes he gets to be outside.

I do worry that it might be more of a tease than an adventure though... does anyone have thoughts on this? He does not stop crying once we come inside and I feel awful! It's only been a week for me, but do they ever stop crying to go out?

Horraira

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Let me know how it works out!
Sadly they dont do custom sewing. They said Id have to put the patch on myself. Step 1, first I gotta train my kitty to wear it.

My cat loves to be outside. Once she learned that the harness means she goes outside, she sits by her harness and meows. Does your cat like being outside? I've had others that are terrified of outdoors.

See if she will just walk around in the house first and get comfortable walking in it.
Im sure my kitty loves the outdoors cause thats where I rescued her from. It took forever to train her not to bolt for the door or the balcony.