Trying to Switch Foods and Worrying

mukti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 2 cats and I'm trying to switch their foods to something healthier.

1 cat eats dry only and the other cat eats a mix of dry and wet.

I brought home a new dry food, not much different from their old, but healthier, with chicken and barley as a grain instead of corn and soy. I transitioned them onto this and they seemed to take to it.

For the wet food, I am trying to replace Fancy Feast with grain free wet foods. My cat will eat a few bites of it and then leave it alone. She used to only eat about 1/2 or 2/3 of a can of fancy feast, but she's eating much less of the new stuff.

Then I noticed she seems to be eating only a few bites of the dry food at a time.

I'm worried and concerned that she's not eating enough. I read to try putting some of the old food next to the new food, so I'm doing that, and I started mixing some of the old dry food with the new again, but still she doesn't seem to be eating as much, of either the old or new food, and I'm worried.

I've read how dangerous it can be if a cat stops eating. Does anyone know if a reduction in eating is as dangerous?

Any tips on how to proceed? I want to feed them healthier food, but I'm concerned. I'm wondering if I should just go back to her old foods.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Surprisingly, Fancy Feast Classics are grain-free! :D If you need to go back to FF, don't feel bad--it's not the worst food out there, and is actually pretty good. You can also try mixing FF into the new stuff until she gets used to the taste.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is possible that the new food has more calories, so she is self-regulating.

If her energy level and weight remain the same, as other behavior, I wouldn't worry too much about her not eating enough.

And as Willowy said, FF isn't a bad food (though try not to feed too much fish).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mukti

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thanks for the thoughts and advice. That's good to know about the Fancy Feast Classics. She usually liked the Sliced FF dinners, which I found out are heavy with wheat gluten and soy flour. I'm trying the Classics now.