Trying To Start Breeding Siamese

emmi lou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've always had a fascination with Siamese cats, ever since I was a little girl and saw the Aristocats movie. Now I have one, his name is Sam, but I'm wanting to start in the breeding business. What is the best way to go about doing this? Also how much on average do Siamese cats sell for? I would like to get two adults with papers to start the business off.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Start showing with a neuter first. It's a lot of work to keep intact cats so you need to ease into it.

Keep in mind that breeding done properly is an expensive hobby, NOT a business! If you're making money, probably the cats are being neglected in some way. Plus, Siamese are very very common so they don't sell for as much as rarer breeds. It's not as easy as just getting one male and one female :). What are your plans for keeping the stud?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

emmi lou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well around here there aren't many siamese. And i really would just take it up as a side hobby. I'm not super worried about making a lot if money just love siamese and want to bring.g them around my town. My sammi tho is partly blind... But that doesn't stop him. He's my pal for sure

reekajane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How is you Siamese blind? Injury, Congenial? Traditional Siamese are rare. What kind do you have? Have you priced papered Siamese?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're in the U.S there probably are lots of Siamese in your area. Even in the shelters. They and Persians are the most common purebreds. You can check out www.siameserescue.org to see how many homeless Siamese there are. If you don't approach breeding correctly, you'll just be one of those backyard breeders pumping more unwanted cats into the shelter system (or on the streets). If you do it correctly, none of your cats should EVER end up in a shelter or otherwise homeless. Are you prepared to take back any cat of your breeding at any time? That's what good breeders do.

You won't be making ANY money unless you neglect your cats in some way. Vet care is expensive. Food, litter, toys, etc. are all expensive. You'll need appropriate living quarters for your stud unless you like for your house to smell like tomcat pee. You'll probably be in debt most of the time. It's not a money-making venture if you care about cats. I'm sure some of the breeders here will pop in to tell you how expensive it is.

Bringing new lives into the world is a huge responsibility. Not something to be taken lightly at all.

Last edited:

emmi lou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not sure how he is blind. I adopted him from a woman and he was blind when I got him. He's a traditional Apple head

emmi lou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My friend is a vet and she would help me out with that. I live in an apartment right now but i wouldn't breed cats while I'm staying here I also have another friend who is willing to help me out with everything she's also wanting to breed them. We both live cats and we get them from shelters that kill them and regime them to fitting families

emmi lou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
But I am going to get him checked out Saturday to see if everything is ok

reekajane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The reason I ask is Siamese have issues genetically and you would't want to breed a cat that would carry that trait.

reekajane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Temperament is also a big deal with this breed, they have a bad rap of being temperamental cats. Which if you breed correctly you should have a beautiful cat second to a sweet & loving personality.

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have stewarded at a number of cats shows in the UK and can safely say the Siamese being shown were all good-natured cats, with the exception of one tortie, unlike some other breeds.  That Disney film (Lady and the Tramp) has a lot to answer for as it presented Siamese as spiteful cats.  I used to have a Havanna I showed and a number of people learnt something about the breed from him.  One lot learnt that despite his slender appearance he was a solid, muscular cat, and another set looked at me and said 'now I understand that voice - it's not nasty, it's asking for attention'.  Spot on.

There may be an issue with some of them being bored - they are active, generally intelligent cats and if kept without enough to interest them then yes, problems can rear their heads.

However...

If I read your post correctly you have a succession of Siamese you've rescued and are rehoming coming through your appartment.  I'd be very wary about breeding with that going on.  Animals from rescues can often carry diseases, and kittens are very vulnerable.  It's also potentially stressful for the queen.  My feelings are that you need to decide which you really want to do - rescuing, or breeding - unless you managed to get somewhere to live that is large enough to keep the two sets of cats completely separate.  Even then, you are potentially taking on an awful lot more work.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best way up start is showing a neuter or two for several years

Build up a relationship with a breeder who can then mentor you, sell you your first entire female and allow use of their stud

New breeders shouldn't start out with a stud, or a 'breeding pair', one girl isn't enough for a boy

Pedigree cats are generally $600 and up for a pet quality, neutered, vaccinated and microchipped

Breeding cats are generally 2-3 times the price of pets, stud fees are generally the price of a pet kitten