trying to save emaciated stray

Status
Not open for further replies.
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

carrots33

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for all your advice and thoughts. Unfortunately, Krookshanks passed away last night. I'm pretty sure he went into congestive heart failure, which leads me to believe he had feline leukemia our something along those lines.It is also possible we just got there too late. Regardless, at least he was warm and safe the last few days of his life and we will be better equipped to know what to do the next time.

kittywhiskers

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I just want to say that I've been following your thread and I'm so very sorry that Krookshanks has crossed the bridge. :rbheart:
Thank you for helping him and giving him love and kindness in his final days.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So sorry for your loss. He passed knowing he was loved and cared for.

reba

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry, as you say you saved him from being alone when he was most in need.  Stories like this, in fact a lot of the stories posted here, show in the strongest possible sense that people are what they do.  Actions speak louder than words.  You didn't just walk by the cat while patting yourself on the back for feeling compassion for it, or not do anything in an effort to spare your daughter the pain of losing an animal - you put your immediate needs aside and got about the business of trying to do something.  I think the world's a better place for that, I know the cat's life was better for it and I even think we're all better for reading about it.  So thank you for sharing the story along with everything else you did.

Last edited:

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Thank you for all your advice and thoughts. Unfortunately, Krookshanks passed away last night. I'm pretty sure he went into congestive heart failure, which leads me to believe he had feline leukemia our something along those lines.It is also possible we just got there too late. Regardless, at least he was warm and safe the last few days of his life and we will be better equipped to know what to do the next time.
I myself think it was "just" the total exhaustion and the strain. Heart gives up sometimes in such situations, even although it was already getting better and although he was so totally embraced in love.  So you did everything right.  Both you, your dau and Krookshanks may have peace of mind.

Im glad you see this as positive experience, after all. You are determined there will be a next time.   The memory of Krookshanks will help you in this. The memory will also surely help your dau in her life.

RIP  Krookshanks.

• Purraise
Reactions: ldg

catwoman707

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This is very sad news, so very sorry........

I had mentioned felv positive as suspect earlier in the thread, so yes, it may very well have been that, it may have been his extreme diarrhea and total lack of absorption over a period of time as well. We won't know for sure, but now at this point, it really doesn't matter.

What matters is, rather than dying alone under a bush somewhere, unacknowledged, he left this earth feeling comfort, safe, that his life had meaning and worth. He was given a name, food, and most of all, love.

His little body couldn't recover, too far gone, but he is now peaceful, his spirit lives on without pain and suffering.

Thank you from the bottom of my heart for giving him such a great gift. You have made an enormous difference for one little guy.  

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Oh how heartbreaking! :bawling: Oh I am sooooooo sorry. :heart2: :hugs: :hugs: :hugs:

But what a wonderful gift you and your daughter gave Krookshanks. Loving them only to usher them over the bridge is absolutely the hardest part of rescue - but a part that matters so much to kitties like Krookshanks. :rbheart: :rbheart: :rbheart:

....aw darn it. But thank goodness for you and your daughter. Add my thanks, and please give your daughter a hug from me. :grphug2: :grphug2: :grphug2: :grphug2:

keyes

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Well that just brought tears to my eyes.  So sad.  Know that other people would have just walked away from him and you didn't.  He had someone to care for him until the time came. 

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Krookshanks will look down and send his blessings to you, the kind humans who helped him cross.  I really admire all you did for him.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
@carrots33 all the team at TCS would like you to know that we are so very sorry for your loss.  You gave this boy such love and caring in his final days and that is a wonderful thing.

Threads are locked after someone has suffered such a loss, as a sign of respect. We invite you to place a tribute at http://www.thecatsite.com/f/19/crossing-the-bridge as an enduring testimony to your friend.

RIP Krookshanks

Status
Not open for further replies.