Trying to make a feral outdoor kitten less afraid of me

JimmyL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all - This group has been amazingly helpful in the past, & I need your help again! A feral cat I feed daily has recently been given birth and she, and one of her kittens (I suspect the kitten is about 6-8 weeks old) spend a lot of time in our courtyard. I have known the 'mummy' cat for almost a year now - at first she was very wary of me &, although I think she will never be a lap cat, she does allow minimal stroking when I come out to feed her. But her kitten, although somewhat intrigued by me, runs and hides as soon as I get within 6 feet. I put a little saucer of food down for it, which it comes and eats, once I've backed away a little. I wondered if anybody had any advice on how to patiently coax such a kitten out of its fear of human contact? Many thanks (I will post some pictures of said mum& kitten soon!!)

MrRaspberyy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello! I also have around 4 stray cats who regularly visit my house. One of them also gave birth to 3 kittens outside but they were not too afraid of me since I had been with them since they were born. I would suggest feeding them daily and maybe trying to befriend the mom cat. Once you can do that, the kitten will learn you are not a threat and you may be able to touch him too. Also, it may help to make the kitten aware of your presence by just sitting near him but not moving while he is eating. Hope this helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JimmyL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks - good advice

jeanw

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello! I also have around 4 stray cats who regularly visit my house. One of them also gave birth to 3 kittens outside but they were not too afraid of me since I had been with them since they were born. I would suggest feeding them daily and maybe trying to befriend the mom cat. Once you can do that, the kitten will learn you are not a threat and you may be able to touch him too. Also, it may help to make the kitten aware of your presence by just sitting near him but not moving while he is eating. Hope this helps.
These are good suggestions. Keep feeding them. The cats will know who feeds them - and often become less afraid as you continue to feed them regularly.

What is your plan after they trust you more?

Bri5

Seek justice, love mercy, walk humbly.
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Staying nearby while they eat but not attempting to interact with them is usually helpful. Too much moving or noise can be threatening.

JimmyL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
These are good suggestions. Keep feeding them. The cats will know who feeds them - and often become less afraid as you continue to feed them regularly.

What is your plan after they trust you more?
Well I hope to find them homes - but that might be a challenge in itself! Many thanks

JimmyL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Staying nearby while they eat but not attempting to interact with them is usually helpful. Too much moving or noise can be threatening.
Thanks

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The best way, we have found, takes time and patience. First, you have to act non-threatening, so don't try to approach the kitten, don't make eye contact with it, and don't stand so that you tower over it. One way is when you place the food dish, sit nearby, but ignore the kitten. When it acts comfortable, move the dish slightly closer, and repeat the process. Eventually, the kitten will become curious and approach you. This is what we did for 5 of our 6 indoor-only former ferals- the 6th was already an adult, but the process was the same. Let the cats come to you, at their own pace and in their own good time.